soulflower

Mississippi school district bans 'To Kill a Mockingbird‘

61 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, workerbee said:

In what way?

The level of trust and understanding that we have with one another.

3 hours ago, hst2 said:

The level of trust and understanding that we have with one another.

Do you think it is the same, better or worse than they have with black teachers. I am assuming the students change classes during the day.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:04 PM, hst2 said:

I can't take seriously an article which contains the following:

"But despite his ability to win individual battles, his decision to fight a conventional war against the more densely populated and industrialized North is considered by many historians to have been a fatal strategic error."

The decision as to what type of war to fight against the North was made not by Lee but by the CSA's civilian government.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, mrsmlh said:

Banning books, movies, art, etc. never made too much sense to me because it seemed to me that when something got banned, more people wanted to see/read it.  I can remember back in the early '60's, my uncle was livid when my cousin had to read this book in school. He objected to a white lawyer representing a black guy accused of raping a white woman.  None of my cousins and my sisters cared about reading the book until my uncle made a big to do over it.

And therein lies the chance for a savvy American entrepreneur to make some money...

Step 1: Gather all the recently removed statutes in a large building. 

Step 2: Mount a plaque in front of each statute that contains the most salacious collection of truths, half-truths, rumors and gossip about the person(s) depicted in the statue.

Step 3: Roll out a multi-media advertising campaign featuring such phrase as "SEE THE STATUTES THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE!!" or "FOR THE 1ST TIME, COLLECTED IN ONE PLACE, THE ARTWORK BANNED BY THE GOVERNMENT!!".

Step 4: Open for business and start raking in the cash.

Oh, and don't forget the sign "MINIATURES OF THE STATUTES YOU HAVE JUST SEEN ARE ON SALE IN OUR GIFT SHOP.".

13 minutes ago, VOSA said:

And therein lies the chance for a savvy American entrepreneur to make some money...

Step 1: Gather all the recently removed statutes in a large building. 

Step 2: Mount a plaque in front of each statute that contains the most salacious collection of truths, half-truths, rumors and gossip about the person(s) depicted in the statue.

Step 3: Roll out a multi-media advertising campaign featuring such phrase as "SEE THE STATUTES THEY DON'T WANT YOU TO SEE!!" or "FOR THE 1ST TIME, COLLECTED IN ONE PLACE, THE ARTWORK BANNED BY THE GOVERNMENT!!".

Step 4: Open for business and start raking in the cash.

Oh, and don't forget the sign "MINIATURES OF THE STATUTES YOU HAVE JUST SEEN ARE ON SALE IN OUR GIFT SHOP.".

You'd be rich in no time!

33 minutes ago, VOSA said:

I can't take seriously an article which contains the following:

"But despite his ability to win individual battles, his decision to fight a conventional war against the more densely populated and industrialized North is considered by many historians to have been a fatal strategic error."

The decision as to what type of war to fight against the North was made not by Lee but by the CSA's civilian government.

The description of his treatment of slaves is the point. But hey, if you can't refute that, by all means change the subject.

18 hours ago, hst2 said:

So whites dominate Blacks in this country for centuries, and you claim it is natural for one group to dominate another, even dogs do it. How is this not an endorsement of white supremacy?

One might note that dogs do not dominate other dogs due to the color of their fur.

BTW - the earliest distinctoon drawn between Africans and Europeans here was based on religion, not color. Color came  later. Too many African slaves were converting to Christianity, thereby getting out of slavery.

It is actually an endorsement of black supremacy.  Because it would be natural for blacks to dominate whites as well.  

No, dogs & wolves do it for much lesser reasons than the color of their fur!  But now, you bring up color again after your endless rants that there is no so such thing as race.  Can you give us examples of light skinned negroes being freed from slavery because they weren't dark enough to dominate?  

Your BTW is utter BS.  That distinction was being made by early man predating even religion.  So you might want to provide a link that early man was entirely colorblind.  I will not hold my breath.  

Do you have a long history of abusing black people, or are you descended from slave owners and Klansmen so you feel you need to atone for those sins?  

Where we differ from wolves, et al, is that we benefit from a Greco-Judeo-Christian-Enlightenment legacy that not only allows but mandates as a part of our civilization that we transcend a pack mentality.  We often stray from that.  But we still recognize and classify people.  He is white, she is black, she is from somewhere around India, he is an aborigine, and she...I can't tell.  But nobody singles out the black girl and thinks, "I need to dominate her."  But maybe you do, and that is why you are so guilty.  

Edited by jdsample

14 hours ago, workerbee said:

Do you think it is the same, better or worse than they have with black teachers. I am assuming the students change classes during the day.

There are very few Black teachers in our county.

5 hours ago, hst2 said:

There are very few Black teachers in our county.

If you have white students... how is your relationship with them?  Do the black and white students get along.  Again I am assuming the grades we are talking about rotate classes with different teachers.

47 minutes ago, workerbee said:

If you have white students... how is your relationship with them?  Do the black and white students get along.  Again I am assuming the grades we are talking about rotate classes with different teachers.

Sure, I get along well with everybody. But my understanding of race and its consequences in history and in society today serves me very well in developing trust and understanding with my students of color.

Mostly its about understanding that the world I came out of is a fantasy, created with the objective of keeping certain people out, as though those people don't exist. And the richness my life has taken on being round and getting to know those people who are considered by the dominate culture to be basically invisible. When one knows and respects people who are different from them, it invites empathy. When that is created, subjects like To Kill a Mockingbird aren't a problem.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:33 PM, hst2 said:

The description of his treatment of slaves is the point. But hey, if you can't refute that, by all means change the subject.

Sorry pal, you can't cherry pick an article, draw a little box around your selections and then require everyone to stay within your self-defined box. You simply do not have the power to do that and your attempts to exercise a power you don't have is an exercise in futility.

The point here is that if the author of the article can't accurately describe who was calling the shots on how the CSA fought the Civil War why should we believe the author's description of how Lee treated his slaves.