Baltimatt

Jefferson Davis School in Jackson, MS, to be renamed after Barack Obama

266 posts in this topic

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2017/10/18/jps-school-renames-jefferson-davis-barack-obama/774892001/

A predominately black public school in Mississippi named after Jefferson Davis will have its Confederate tied namesake stripped next year and replaced with the title of another president whose character students, parents and teachers have said is more fitting— Barack Obama.

Davis Magnet IB PTA President Janelle Jefferson announced at the Jackson Public Schools Board of Trustees meeting Tuesday evening that school stakeholders voted on Oct. 5 to rename the school Barack Obama Magnet IB.

A demographic breakdown of Davis Magnet’s enrollment for the 2017 school lists 98 percent of the school’s students as black.

Good. One at a time, erase them.

22 minutes ago, Duke of Earl said:

Disgraceful 

I agree. These attempts to erase our history must be stopped. Barack Obama was the first African American president of the United States... and a good president overall. No attempt by the Trump Chumps to erase his legacy should be tolerated.

Jefferson Davis was a treasonous slave holder. No need to name a school after him.

Edited by JoyinMudville

9 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Good. One at a time, erase them.

What's next?  George Washington University, George Mason University, James Madison University, Washington and Lee University, ect.?  Are they all on your list?

I think someone should be dead for 20 years or so to have stuff named after them. 

Talking about erased history, how about the Hiram Revels High School?

Edited by hst2

People should be dead a while before things are named after them.

As sensitive as this country is now all names should be stripped off of all building, vessels, vehicles, roads and land and the use of numbers should be used (except 666) numbers aren't offensive. 

At least Barack Obama has finished his term.  I thought it was crazy when a few schools were named after him before he was even inaugurated.

44 minutes ago, hst2 said:

I think someone should be dead for 20 years or so to have stuff named after them. 

Not in these days of instant gratification.

2 hours ago, hst2 said:

I think it is time to stop naming buildings, towns, roads, or anything else after people. 

Should be.

I guess they need to change the of the city next right?

31 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Should be.

I guess they need to change the of the city next right?

I doubt the school's PTA has that kind of power in city government.

So, seriously guys, does this mean Jefferson Davis is going to be forgotten? Does his name go all Marty McFly in books and magically disappear off the pages?

10 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

I doubt the school's PTA has that kind of power in city government.

So, seriously guys, does this mean Jefferson Davis is going to be forgotten? Does his name go all Marty McFly in books and magically disappear off the pages?

Heavens no!  The victim class will never let that happen. 

4 hours ago, Duke of Earl said:

Disgraceful 

Why?

12 minutes ago, workerbee said:

Heavens no!  The victim class will never let that happen. 

The Sons of the Confederacy?

Just now, hst2 said:

The Sons of the Confederacy?

Sure... along with writers and readers of The Atlantic.

2 minutes ago, workerbee said:

Sure... along with writers and readers of The Atlantic.

They don't push Davis on the rest of us.

4 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

I agree. These attempts to erase our history must be stopped. Barack Obama was the first African American president of the United States... and a good president overall. No attempt by the Trump Chumps to erase his legacy should be tolerated.

Jefferson Davis was a treasonous slave holder. No need to name a school after him.

No one is erasing history,... people just want an end to celebrating certain evil elements of our history. I can almost guarantee there are no Timothy McVeigh High Schools,... yet we still know who he is and his place in history. Same with Hitler,... can promise you there are no high school named after ole Adolf,... yet every school year, our kids learn all about him and his place in history. 

Edited by ericpd
Personal attack