Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
regularguy

Court: Giant cross on public land needs to be removed

23 posts in this topic

Link to Sun article.

Quote

A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that a 40-foot, cross-shaped war memorial that has stood on public land in Maryland for nearly a century is unconstitutional because it “excessively entangles” the government with religion.

A divided U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit in Richmond, Va. , found that the Bladensburg World War I Veterans Memorial — known locally as the Peace Cross — “aggrandizes the Latin cross” to the point that an observer would conclude the government entity that owns it is endorsing Christianity.

“The Latin cross is the core symbol of Christianity,” the court wrote in a 33-page opinion that included photographs of the memorial. “And here, it is 40 feet tall; prominently displayed in the center of one of the busiest intersections in Prince George’s County, Maryland, and maintained with thousands of dollars in government funds.”

Maybe move it to the same place where they move Confederate statues?

Edited by regularguy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe if the two sections sticking out from the sides had been sawed off earlier, the American Humanist Association wouldn't have noticed that the monument looked something like a cross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Dumb, but correct.

Just because it is correct ....doesn't make it right.

Hope I live long enough to see the lawsuits to have MLKs statues torn down. He was a minister/rev after all...and most are on public land.

That would be dumb also. Sorry just venting about the insanity.

BTW I read the article a few times.....simple question...who were the jerks that were offended this time and filed in court? I don't think the courts are running around looking for something to do.

Shhesssshhhh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Just because it is correct ....doesn't make it right.

Hope I live long enough to see the lawsuits to have MLKs statues torn down. He was a minister/rev after all...and most are on public land.

That would be dumb also. Sorry just venting about the insanity.

BTW I read the article a few times.....simple question...who were the jerks that were offended this time and filed in court? I don't think the courts are running around looking for something to do.

Shhesssshhhh

Special interest groups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

Special interest groups.

Thank you Captain Obvious. ;)

Like who?

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we won't forget all about the history of Christianity and World War I because of the loss. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

I hope we won't forget all about the history of Christianity and World War I because of the loss. 

 

Hope you are correct.

But is seems that the vocal few are hell bent on this.....................

.and I DON'T MEAN ....selling computers. read Orwell '1984' if 'some' don't get it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To liberals, only one man is truly entitled to worship and praise. If it were up to them, his statue would be prominent in all public areas.

 

Edited by Manny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That would eliminate the church/state problem. I would even believe that more people from Prince Georges County would want to see that statue. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

That would eliminate the church/state problem. I would even believe that more people from Prince Georges County would want to see that statue. 

 

Considering the demography of the area.which is around 64% black...similar to BC....yup you are absolutely correct.

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Perpetually Offended strike again. And idiot judges buy into their BS.

I would like to see some of the PO hanging from that cross -- on rusty nails.

There is a potential target locally; I've been waiting for a long time for them to get around to it and to see what is the local reaction.

Stay tuned!

Edited by retired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, retired said:

The Perpetually Offended strike again. And idiot judges buy into their BS.

I would like to see some of the PO hanging from that cross -- on rusty nails.

There is a potential target locally; I've been waiting for a long time for them to get around to it and to see what is the local reaction.

Stay tuned!

POs + SJW judges= idiocy.

I can almost.....almost accept the confederate statue thing....but this?

What are they going to do next....go to Arlington and demand that the Crosses and Stars of David be yanked also?

I dare them and the courts to try. But they better have good fire insurnace on their homes....you don't mess with Veterans and their families like that. Likely those buried there from WW! don't have the numbers in support to tell them to go screw themselves as do those from WW2, Korea, Vietnam and the ME conflicts.

Hope the above burn in hell.

Candidly I think the above should be taken out and horse whipped. PERIOD.

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2017 at 10:43 AM, Guido2 said:

POs + SJW judges= idiocy.

I can almost.....almost accept the confederate statue thing....but this?

What are they going to do next....go to Arlington and demand that the Crosses and Stars of David be yanked also?

I dare them and the courts to try. But they better have good fire insurnace on their homes....you don't mess with Veterans and their families like that. Likely those buried there from WW! don't have the numbers in support to tell them to go screw themselves as do those from WW2, Korea, Vietnam and the ME conflicts.

Hope the above burn in hell.

Candidly I think the above should be taken out and horse whipped. PERIOD.

I am sure some communist judge, appointed by a Democrat, will unilaterally decide he or she wants them removed from Arlington.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Manny said:

I am sure some communist judge, appointed by a Democrat, will unilaterally decide he or she wants them removed from Arlington.

I kinda think that the military ........ aaaaahhhhhhhhh might not go along with that.

Check out the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier as a reference point on what they might think about that ahhhhh decision.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe PG can sell the site of the monument to a private organization, the American Legion, VFW, etc. or to a private individual, who can then tell the Humanist  Soceity and the Court of Appeals to get stuffed.

No way will I ever believe that the idiots who brought the case did so with pure motives.  They did so because ridiculous court decisions in other cases, such as First Amendment protection for flag-burning, has set the stage for them so they look for things to be offended about.

I must say that I am perpetually offended by the Perpetually Offended.

 

Edited by retired

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2017 at 4:40 PM, retired said:

Maybe PG can sell the site of the monument to a private organization, the American Legion, VFW, etc. or to a private individual, who can then tell the Humanist  Soceity and the Court of Appeals to get stuffed.

No way will I ever believe that the idiots who brought the case did so with pure motives.  They did so because ridiculous court decisions in other cases, such as First Amendment protection for flag-burning, has set the stage for them so they look for things to be offended about.

I must say that I am perpetually offended by the Perpetually Offended.

 

Byngo!!!!!

And that is why gun owners are so skitish and resistant to any addtional gun laws and such.

This says it all.............

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 4:40 PM, retired said:

Maybe PG can sell the site of the monument to a private organization, the American Legion, VFW, etc. or to a private individual, who can then tell the Humanist  Soceity and the Court of Appeals to get stuffed.

No way will I ever believe that the idiots who brought the case did so with pure motives.  They did so because ridiculous court decisions in other cases, such as First Amendment protection for flag-burning, has set the stage for them so they look for things to be offended about.

I must say that I am perpetually offended by the Perpetually Offended.

 

PG County should simply donate the land to the American Legion or VFW. It'll be in private hands and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Arslan said:

PG County should simply donate the land to the American Legion or VFW. It'll be in private hands and there's nothing anyone can do about it.

Well from what I have read over these past months....that maynot be true. There are more than a few OP law suits and such stemming from the fact that 'well if I stand on tippy toes or get a box and look over the wall I see something that offends me and must be removed' .....than I care to count.  The Cross will be no different unless they build a enclosed area around it.

But then the Envios will get all nuts.

I think we definitely need more jobs for people......way way way too many people sitting around playing with themselves.:lol:

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The judge that made that ruling should be told to go stuff it. I am glad that Governor Hogan will fight the ruling. The absolute stupidity that is going on in this country passing as some sort of separation of church and state "obligation" is completely out of control.

As far as the American Humanist Society goes - what a bunch of idiots and rabble rousers. And the ranks of the Perpetually Offended can kiss my fanny as I moon them with glee. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

     

We told you it wasn't just Confederates . You should have listened . Thank you Nikki Haley for getting this evil ball started

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0