Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Heisenberg

Why were Wisconsin polls so wrong? Easy answer: vote suppression

9 posts in this topic

I'm sure all the proponents of these bogus voter suppression laws will be along any minute now with their ridiculous excuses trying to explain how these laws are necessary to prevent all that fraud that simply doesn't exist.  And I'm sure they will have good explanations as to why these laws always seem to suppress the vote in minority areas.  And I'm sure they'll be along to explain how things removing Sunday voting and early voting and reducing the number of early voting locations (in some places as dramatic as like from 60 locations to 1... guess what color the majority of the people are that live in those places?) helps protect the integrity of the vote.  I'm sure they'll be able to explain to us how it's perfectly OK to accept a concealed carry permit but not a student ID, or how it's perfectly legitimate to change the law to require a certain type of ID to vote, and then close down the locations in rural and minority areas where one can get said ID so that getting the ID then becomes a huge burden.

Sigh 

1 hour ago, banner1124 said:

I'm sure all the proponents of these bogus voter suppression laws will be along any minute now with their ridiculous excuses trying to explain how these laws are necessary to prevent all that fraud that simply doesn't exist.  And I'm sure they will have good explanations as to why these laws always seem to suppress the vote in minority areas.  And I'm sure they'll be along to explain how things removing Sunday voting and early voting and reducing the number of early voting locations (in some places as dramatic as like from 60 locations to 1... guess what color the majority of the people are that live in those places?) helps protect the integrity of the vote.  I'm sure they'll be able to explain to us how it's perfectly OK to accept a concealed carry permit but not a student ID, or how it's perfectly legitimate to change the law to require a certain type of ID to vote, and then close down the locations in rural and minority areas where one can get said ID so that getting the ID then becomes a huge burden.

Sigh 

That's some imagination you have there.

1 hour ago, Lombardi6 said:

I find it incredible 23,000 people lost their license... at the same time.

1 hour ago, workerbee said:

That's the point.  The article talks about the drop in turnout in Milwaukee being 41,000.  Was that much different than what happened in most cities across America?  Hillary Clinton failed to hold the level of voter turnout that President Obama had.  If you want to talk about these laws being unfair to certain groups of people, that is certainly a discussion that can be engaged.  But blaming Hillary's loss on that is ridiculous.  They cite one case and want us to extrapolate from that case that all 41,000 less voters were democrats who were victims of voter suppression.  Hillary Clinton was a terrible candidate who lost to another terrible candidate.  Democrats picked the wrong candidate to represent them and now they just seem to want to make excuses rather than admit it.  Republicans have done it before, and they did it again.  They were bailed out because democrats couldn't see how disliked Hillary was among everyone outside of her base of supporters.   Bernie Sanders or Joe Biden, if he had run, would have cleaned Trump's clock.  Either would have held onto the democratic voters who decided not to vote or go third party and would have beaten him in the close swing states.  The article itself even manages to sum the election up.

“Perhaps the biggest drags on voter turnout in Milwaukee, as in the rest of the country, were the candidates themselves,” Sabrina Tavernise of the New York Times wrote in a post-election dispatch that typified this line of analysis. “To some, it was like having to choose between broccoli and liver.”

1 hour ago, workerbee said:

It's the party that cries wolf. There's a reason Trump is in the wh

16 hours ago, workerbee said:

Yeah, because that's exactly what is alleged :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, Lombardi6 said:

That's not an imagination... all that stuff I mentioned in that post has happened and you can look it up.  I'm sure you'd prefer to keep your head in the sand though.