Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scaggsville

Elon Musk and Hyperloop Project Get the Green Light from Maryland

37 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, Bartman said:

One of my 1st jobs was at a place where they still had those Vacuum Tubes and the containers you put papers, orders, whatever in them and shoved them in and away they went to whatever other part of the building they went to. When they came into our office you could hear them come out of the tubes and slam against the stops. Would I want to travel that way? I think Not!

I know what you are saying.... I remember them at Bambergers...no cash registers....fill out the paper sale put it in the tube with the cash...came back with a receipt and change.

I am sure if they go ahead they got something figured out. And a slow start and finsh between DC and BC is doable I think...but if they have multiple stops....well....it sort of defeats the purpose? No?

19 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Insanely expensive.....I wonder if it is all relative to dollar value....I would imagine that putting in the brollies in BC or the Tran's Continental were 'outrageous' to people back then. ...I googled the TC it was between 36,000,000 in 1869...now translate that today.at around a 2393.1% inflation...you are looking at over 897,523,636.36. 

As far as destruction of Amtrak businesses come and go....smart ones.....wait for it ...wait for it......jump on board the train............

But I am putting my money down on transporters...don't laugh....they are up to moving hydrogen atoms............I think they move a molecule. NS.

I learned long ago not to laugh at predictions that seem impossible today. A typical ten year old often uses a device unthinkable 30 years ago.

Quantum computing (the basis for the current transporter type revelations and experiments) is only envisioned currently for transporting information, and only works on the atom or photon level. I do think it will completely change they way info is used in the next 10-20 years. Moores law has limits, even as we see each new chip design accelerates the next chip design. 

This quantum computing will certainly lead to completely different tech, as yet unknown. But it will have to be very different. Quantum teleportation does not actually move one atom or photon anywhere, it just exactly recreates the state of that element. Thats a start, but I'd bet we're decades if not much longer before you could even do it with any multicelled organism. 

The Trek transporters were envisioned in the same way. Basically, every time Kirk or Picard transported, a new Kirk or Picard was being recreated. I've read that the writers and tech advisers understood that you would really be recreating a clone, minus the neural ability to retain memories, but they knew it was cool, and allowed plot points to work in ways they otherwise couldn't. 

I'm sorry. I can hear my wife saying, "oh god, whatever...can we just watch the show?"

Without the Elon Musks / Right-brained thinkers of the world we'd still be living in caves. 

1 hour ago, pepper said:

I learned long ago not to laugh at predictions that seem impossible today. A typical ten year old often uses a device unthinkable 30 years ago.

Quantum computing (the basis for the current transporter type revelations and experiments) is only envisioned currently for transporting information, and only works on the atom or photon level. I do think it will completely change they way info is used in the next 10-20 years. Moores law has limits, even as we see each new chip design accelerates the next chip design. 

This quantum computing will certainly lead to completely different tech, as yet unknown. But it will have to be very different. Quantum teleportation does not actually move one atom or photon anywhere, it just exactly recreates the state of that element. Thats a start, but I'd bet we're decades if not much longer before you could even do it with any multicelled organism. 

The Trek transporters were envisioned in the same way. Basically, every time Kirk or Picard transported, a new Kirk or Picard was being recreated. I've read that the writers and tech advisers understood that you would really be recreating a clone, minus the neural ability to retain memories, but they knew it was cool, and allowed plot points to work in ways they otherwise couldn't. 

I'm sorry. I can hear my wife saying, "oh god, whatever...can we just watch the show?"

Thanks for taking the time to posts those thoughts. Very insightful...at least to me.

Did they move it? Or did they recreate it. I never found any clear cut resolution in print regarding those types of experiments. But honestly I wasn't digging. :D

I like you don't blowoff wild ideas.....electricity...lights...electro mag discovered....telegraphs. then.special lights (bulbs),,,radio...and so on.

Mix HD TV in the right way with a 3d printer....that recycles things faster and faster...builds new 3ds...faster and faster....and sooner or later you are going to have Holodecks and transporters.

good talk..............

46 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Thanks for taking the time to posts those thoughts. Very insightful...at least to me.

Did they move it? Or did they recreate it. I never found any clear cut resolution in print regarding those types of experiments. But honestly I wasn't digging. :D

I like you don't blowoff wild ideas.....electricity...lights...electro mag discovered....telegraphs. then.special lights (bulbs),,,radio...and so on.

Mix HD TV in the right way with a 3d printer....that recycles things faster and faster...builds new 3ds...faster and faster....and sooner or later you are going to have Holodecks and transporters.

good talk..............

In laymans terms, they recreated it. In other words, nothing but info was transferred, but it was exactly the same info, on an atomic level. They take an example, and exactly duplicate it, but the original is not relocated itself. Nothing "disappears" and appears in another location. 

Make no mistake, I only know what I've read, and have zero background in the science or tech involved. It's difficult to find a site that easily explains it, because it can't be easily explained by regular people. While I like the imaginative connotations, I really don't think transporting a Human will ever be possible. (I don't think we, or even our great great grandchildren will see such a thing) I guess that contradicts my earlier comments about future tech, But the hurdles are really, really overwhelming. 

To accurately map and transfer the Human consciousness, and accurately reconfigure it is a huge propblem. We can grasp the physical structure, but the fact that you can recall the lyrics of a Captain and Tennille  song you haven't heard in 30 years is not really understood. That might be fluff, but it's critical if I'm going to step on the transporter pad. 

For example, on an atomic level, the bike you order on Amazon, is not the same bike that you receive. Simple cosmic radiation has changed it. Movement and even cosmic rays will alter a few atoms at the least. Obviously not in a noticeable or measurable way, but it's different. 

Don't even try thinking about this if you smoke the devils lettuce.

Leave the Transporters to SF, works well there. Maglev is really fast but remember just like any other Rail, you have to acquire the property or get land rights to run where you want to. That can get pricey. The Railroads started that over a century ago so you have to deal with them if you want to run where they do. CSX just recently dropped plans to expand the Tunnel. They don't have the Cash without Gov't support. Now, LV has a Monorail. OK, just Stop and let me spout. Rode it quite a bit my 1st few trips out there before I started renting my car all the time. It's pretty Neat but they had to stick it behind the strip as there's just no room for it out front. So the major properties there have a Large footprint and it's quite a Trek (see what I did there?) from the Strip to the back of those properties to the Monorail stations. Originally it was supposed to go all the way Downtown to Fremont but the Feds wouldn't throw in with it (weren't they supposed to be pushing Green?) and it just runs from MGM to the old Sahara now SLS property. The Only places that Really benefited from it was the Convention Center & the Hilton (now Westgate) as it's right in front of them. Now most folks that don't drive either use Taxis or ride the Deuce (Double Decker bus) to get around. I don't care what anyone else thinks but when I get on a Bus, all I can smell is Diesel and I can't stand it and just Won't ride them anymore anywhere. I'll stick with my Rental Cars. Now if LV and the Feds could get together and finally run the Monorail Downtown on the North end and run it to the Airport as planned on the South end. I'd be tempted to use it again. As it is it's still kind of Fun to ride if you've never been on one but it's not really all that convenient due to it's location way in back. Here's a Map of what has been Proposed in the past for it in LV. I don't think it will ever happen but it's nice to think about.

http://i.imgur.com/pd6vHWI.jpg

On 11/7/2017 at 10:14 PM, pepper said:

In laymans terms, they recreated it. In other words, nothing but info was transferred, but it was exactly the same info, on an atomic level. They take an example, and exactly duplicate it, but the original is not relocated itself. Nothing "disappears" and appears in another location. 

Make no mistake, I only know what I've read, and have zero background in the science or tech involved. It's difficult to find a site that easily explains it, because it can't be easily explained by regular people. While I like the imaginative connotations, I really don't think transporting a Human will ever be possible. (I don't think we, or even our great great grandchildren will see such a thing) I guess that contradicts my earlier comments about future tech, But the hurdles are really, really overwhelming. 

To accurately map and transfer the Human consciousness, and accurately reconfigure it is a huge propblem. We can grasp the physical structure, but the fact that you can recall the lyrics of a Captain and Tennille  song you haven't heard in 30 years is not really understood. That might be fluff, but it's critical if I'm going to step on the transporter pad. 

For example, on an atomic level, the bike you order on Amazon, is not the same bike that you receive. Simple cosmic radiation has changed it. Movement and even cosmic rays will alter a few atoms at the least. Obviously not in a noticeable or measurable way, but it's different. 

Don't even try thinking about this if you smoke the devils lettuce.

Sorry I took so long getting back.

Thanks for the clarification from what  you had read...A duplication based on intense scan/data seems to make more sense. When you think about it ....doing a 'heavy scan' of an object then using a 3d printer I think is a good analogy?

I think a variant of that is possible even for organic material...such as a carrot (oh poop mini-Trumps) .....but the sysnaptic activity that makes us...US.....that is a head shaker....but then...no one ever thought man could fly. As we see with the strides that artificial limbs have made ....using thought/electrical impulses to maniputlate them....was unheard of not long ago....it was all cables and such. Now? And they are just getting started. So who knows.

Devils lettuce....:D

11 hours ago, Bartman said:

Leave the Transporters to SF, works well there. Maglev is really fast but remember just like any other Rail, you have to acquire the property or get land rights to run where you want to. That can get pricey. The Railroads started that over a century ago so you have to deal with them if you want to run where they do. CSX just recently dropped plans to expand the Tunnel. They don't have the Cash without Gov't support. Now, LV has a Monorail. OK, just Stop and let me spout. Rode it quite a bit my 1st few trips out there before I started renting my car all the time. It's pretty Neat but they had to stick it behind the strip as there's just no room for it out front. So the major properties there have a Large footprint and it's quite a Trek (see what I did there?) from the Strip to the back of those properties to the Monorail stations. Originally it was supposed to go all the way Downtown to Fremont but the Feds wouldn't throw in with it (weren't they supposed to be pushing Green?) and it just runs from MGM to the old Sahara now SLS property. The Only places that Really benefited from it was the Convention Center & the Hilton (now Westgate) as it's right in front of them. Now most folks that don't drive either use Taxis or ride the Deuce (Double Decker bus) to get around. I don't care what anyone else thinks but when I get on a Bus, all I can smell is Diesel and I can't stand it and just Won't ride them anymore anywhere. I'll stick with my Rental Cars. Now if LV and the Feds could get together and finally run the Monorail Downtown on the North end and run it to the Airport as planned on the South end. I'd be tempted to use it again. As it is it's still kind of Fun to ride if you've never been on one but it's not really all that convenient due to it's location way in back. Here's a Map of what has been Proposed in the past for it in LV. I don't think it will ever happen but it's nice to think about.

Good post...that I want to read a couple of times .....that I would like to add/respond to.

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

Sorry I took so long getting back.

Thanks for the clarification from what  you had read...A duplication based on intense scan/data seems to make more sense. When you think about it ....doing a 'heavy scan' of an object then using a 3d printer I think is a good analogy?

I think a variant of that is possible even for organic material...such as a carrot (oh poop mini-Trumps) .....but the sysnaptic activity that makes us...US.....that is a head shaker....but then...no one ever thought man could fly. As we see with the strides that artificial limbs have made ....using thought/electrical impulses to maniputlate them....was unheard of not long ago....it was all cables and such. Now? And they are just getting started. So who knows.

Devils lettuce....:D

Hi

I think the difference, at least as relates to your flying analogy, is that there's no shortage of examples of physical flight. That gives a reference to start from, as far as lift and drag, etc..And we know what areas of the brain create the synapses that control motor function. 

"unheard of not long ago" applies to so many things we use today, you're right. 

9 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Good post...that I want to read a couple of times .....that I would like to add/respond to.

BTW, forgot to mention there are 3 small "Trams" that run from TI to Mirage, Another from Bellagio to Aria & Monte Carlo and another from Excalibur to Luxor & Mandalay. If I'm not mistaken they are Not independent vehicles but all on a Cable system. They're kinda neat but only for Short Haul.

11 hours ago, pepper said:

Hi

I think the difference, at least as relates to your flying analogy, is that there's no shortage of examples of physical flight. That gives a reference to start from, as far as lift and drag, etc..And we know what areas of the brain create the synapses that control motor function. 

"unheard of not long ago" applies to so many things we use today, you're right. 

Well of course I am right.....it is evidenced with my wonderful posts. ;):lol:

On 11/9/2017 at 8:26 AM, Bartman said:

Regardless of mag or loop....building either will be way more expensive (in relative dollars) and time consuming that the TransCon Railroad. Reason one; Lawyers, Reason Two: Lawyers. :lol: Kidding aside; well not really, back in that day...you didn't have every group whining about their particular ax gumming things up and once you were past the Appalachian Mtns. it was clear virgin territory that was easy to build on vs the congestion and build up we have here in this area. .

And about the LV Monorail to no where and the Fed funding and such. Doesn't that sound familiar? Can you spell BC. Another perfect example of total lack of planning or proper funding. At least DCs subway has some rhyme or reason to it...routes NSEW from the beginning. In BC it seems they had money.....and as in keeping with most things in BC well lets spend it....so 'We' have a nice shiny object to put on the resume....not that anything connects cleanly....but 'he look we did something'.

The Red line would have been a good piece to the puzzle....and SHOULD have been a piece of the puzzle from the very beginning...when it would have been cheaper to build and likely more integrated into the 'LR map' ....not what was recently supposed to happen....people having to walk blocks in a tunnel to connect to anything else.

But that is another can of worms.

Thanks for the good conversation!