Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGuru

2017-18 Baltimore Metro HS Basketball Thread

180 posts in this topic

Just saw Calvert Hall’s 2017-18 varsity basketball schedule for the first time.  CHC’s 29 game regular season schedule includes a 11/18/17 home game against WCAC power, St. John’s (DC), a 12/7/17 contest against the Dunbar Poets at Towson U’s SECU Arena, three games at the Benedictine (VA) Capital City Classic in late December & the Cardinals’ normal guantlet in the MIAA & BCL.

One game that I expected to see on the schedule is an away game at the Perry Hall Gators.  That run and gun affair at CHC Alumni Gymnasium last season between the two teams was a great game.  For some reason there won’t be a rematch this season.

I’m looking forward to seeing Poly with Justin Lewis, Dulaney with Josh Cornish and SFA with Chapelgate Christian transfer, Jason Murphy.  It should be a fun season in the private & public ranks.

Edited by TheGuru

CHC played St. John’s (DC) yesterday at 10:30AM in an early, early season contest.  Anybody know the score?  Had to drive to Morgantown to pick up my son from WVU for the holiday break.

CHC lost two good players during the summer in Josh Cornish (Dulaney) and Justin Lewis (Poly) but returns Brendan Adams, Logan Curtis & Montez McNeil.  St. John’s returns guards Tre Wood (UMass recruit) and Casey Morsell along with forward, David Njoku (Navy recruit).  

On 10/20/2017 at 5:55 PM, TheGuru said:

Just saw Calvert Hall’s 2017-18 varsity basketball schedule for the first time.  CHC’s 29 game regular season schedule includes a 11/18/17 home game against WCAC power, St. John’s (DC), a 12/7/17 contest against the Dunbar Poets at Towson U’s SECU Arena, three games at the Benedictine (VA) Capital City Classic in late December & the Cardinals’ normal guantlet in the MIAA & BCL.

One game that I expected to see on the schedule is an away game at the Perry Hall Gators.  That run and gun affair at CHC Alumni Gymnasium last season between the two teams was a great game.  For some reason there won’t be a rematch this season.

I’m looking forward to seeing Poly with Justin Lewis, Dulaney with Josh Cornish and SFA with Chapelgate Christian transfer, Jason Murphy.  It should be a fun season in the private & public ranks.

Predicting that my Hounds beat the Cards this year, even without Chase Drew. 

I don’t think so.  I definitely hope not.  CHC isn’t a coaching staff with suspect X’s and O’s and outrageous personnel decisions.  Bauersfeld has coaches Nashid Coleman and David Gately on the bench with him.

What happened to Drew?  

55 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

I don’t think so.  I definitely hope not.  CHC isn’t a coaching staff with suspect X’s and O’s and outrageous personnel decisions.  Bauersfeld has coaches Nashid Coleman and David Gately on the bench with him.

What happened to Drew?  

He reclassed and is sitting out from what I heard

Got word from an insider that Saturday’s “game” against St. John’s was really a scrimmage. The Cardinals got manhandled by the following score:

Q1) SJC 19 CH 14

Q2) SJC 18 CH 10

Q3) SJC 15 CH 9

Q4) SJC 18 CH 11

Q5) SJC 11 CH 2

I hope they do much better in their first game against Goretti on the 27th.

1 hour ago, TheGuru said:

Got word from an insider that Saturday’s “game” against St. John’s was really a scrimmage. The Cardinals got manhandled by the following score:

Q1) SJC 19 CH 14

Q2) SJC 18 CH 10

Q3) SJC 15 CH 9

Q4) SJC 18 CH 11

Q5) SJC 11 CH 2

I hope they do much better in their first game against Goretti on the 27th.

Yeah, that's pretty bad. I know MSJ should be stacked. Poly, McD,and Perry Hall also from what I know, should be solid. Who else are contenders? I would make Gilman a Top 10 team if Drew was eligible. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

CHC went from a probable top area team to one that will probably struggle in the always top MIAA/BCL.

They lost:

Cornish - transfer

Lewis - transfer

Ilardo - lax injury

Briggs - stopped playing

That's 4 contributors (2-3 starters and depth)...

10 minutes ago, miaasportsfan said:

CHC went from a probable top area team to one that will probably struggle in the always top MIAA/BCL.

They lost:

Cornish - transfer

Lewis - transfer

Ilardo - lax injury

Briggs - stopped playing

Yeah I think they will struggle. Forgot about John Carroll. They should be considered the Top team with MSJ coming in. Then I would say McD, then SFA and honestly I think Gilman willl be right there after that. 

10 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Yeah, that's pretty bad. I know MSJ should be stacked. Poly, McD,and Perry Hall also from what I know, should be solid. Who else are contenders? I would make Gilman a Top 10 team if Drew was eligible. 

I don’t know if McDonogh will be highly ranked even with with Noah Locke. However, I believe John Carroll’s 9-Star backcourt will cement them as a major contender in the BCL/MIAA and challenge MSJ.

SFA reportedly lost Jordan Goodwin and Eric Turner to Milford Mill but gained 6’7” forward Bassirou Diop out of Virginia Beach and 6’9” forward Jason Murphy from Chapelgate Christian making the Panthers a definite factor in the Catholic League & the MIAA.

Che Evans and the Cornish Brothers will be in the mix in Baltimore County with the current 4A champion, Perry Hall Gators. With two transfers from SFA, Milford Mill may be eying a return to the upper echelon of Baltimore County basketball.

Baltimore City’s is a lot murkier when it comes to standout teams ready to challenge Poly. Patterson lost Marvin Price and Lake Clifton lost two key players to McDonogh and Mount Carmel, respectively.  I have a suspicion that the Dunbar Poets might return to glory and challenge Poly in the city.

I’m clueless about Anne Arundel, Harford and Howard Counties but they always have good teams in the Baltimore Sun and Washington Post’s Top 15-20 rankings.

Edited by TheGuru

3 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

I don’t know if McDonogh will be highly ranked even with with Noah Locke. However, I believe John Carroll’s 9-Star backcourt will cement them as a major contender in the BCL/MIAA and challenge MSJ.

SFA reportedly lost Jordan Goodwin and Eric Turner to Milford Mill but gained 6’7” forward Bassirou Diop out of Virginia Beach and 6’9” forward Jason Murphy from Chapelgate Christian making the Panthers a definite factor in the Catholic League & the MIAA.

Che Evans and the Cornish Brothers will be in the mix in Baltimore County with the current 4A champion, Perry Hall Gators. With two transfers from SFA, Milford Mill may be eying a return to the upper echelon of Baltimore County basketball.

Baltimore City’s is a lot murkier when it comes to standout teams ready to challenge Poly. Patterson lost Marvin Price and Lake Clifton lost two key players to McDonogh and Mount Carmel, respectively.  I have a suspicion that the Dunbar Poets might return to glory and challenge Poly in the city.

I’m clueless about Anne Arundel, Harford and Howard Counties but they always have good teams in the Baltimore Sun and Washington Post’s Top 15-20 rankings.

SFA’s coaching is always an issue for me with them. I think McD is going to be very good with the kid from Lake. Dulaney, another team with coaching issues. 

29 minutes ago, miaasportsfan said:

They lost:

Cornish - transfer

Lewis - transfer

Ilardo - lax injury

Briggs - stopped playing

If Montez McNeil is still at CHC, the sophomore will provide rebounding and interior defense  to complement Brendan Adams’ scoring and slashing and Logan Curtis’ all-around flloor game.  In the summer, I heard that 6’5” freshman phenom Darrius Tilghman decided to attend the Hall. If this is true and Bauersfeld plays this kid he will provide a boost to the lineup and make up for the loss of Briggs and Illardo.  Cornish and Lewis are the significant losses for the program.

Edited by TheGuru

8 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

SFA’s coaching is always an issue for me with them. I think McD is going to be very good with the kid from Lake. Dulaney, another team with coaching issues. 

So Gilman’s new coach is the next coming of John Wooden?  You been pumping up Gilman for years and they never meet your expectations.  What makes this year so different?

9 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

So Gilman’s new coach is the next coming of John Wooden?  You been pumping up Gilman for years and they never meet your expectations.  What makes this year so different?

The new coach will make a HUGE difference. But it’s not just the Coach. They are pretty loaded, and I assume you didn’t see what they did in the summer and Fall leagues?

They lost to a full Poly team by two points in the St. Paul’s summer league. They were the number 1 seed with the best record going into the playoffs in the Curley Fall League, that had Poly, Patterson, Perry Hall and Dulaney in it. Their only two losses were to a full Perry Hall staff, that they were beating by 10 and lost at the end. This was WITHOUT Rucker and Sandy, and to Poly by 4 this time. 

Now, all of this was with Chase Drew, who has offers from all over and definitely one of the best players in the area.  If they would have Drew this year, I would have them as easily a Top 10 team in the area. Wait until you see their Frosh Class, LOADED! 

Don't understand why Drew reclassed coming from BC school. With the new NCAA rules his time will start when his original grad class graduates. 

26 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

If Montez McNeil is still at CHC, the sophomore will provide rebounding and interior defense  to complement Brendan Adams’ scoring and slashing and Logan Curtis’ all-around flloor game.  In the summer, I heard that 6’5” freshman phenom Darrius Tilghman decided to attend the Hall. If this is true and Bauersfeld plays this kid he will provide a boost to the lineup and make up for the loss of Briggs and Illardo.  Cornish and Lewis are the significant losses for the program.

Tilghman is definitely at CHC and a baller from what I’m told. 

Montez is also still at CHC.  He's only a sophomore, but hopefully another summer to develop and get stronger will pay dividends in the paint.  It's a shame we won't get to see he and Lewis together for the next 3 years.  

On 11/19/2017 at 10:11 AM, TheGuru said:

What happened to Drew?  

Re classing this year, came from Dulaney

51 minutes ago, Express said:

Re classing this year, came from Dulaney

But why reclass when it will hurt his college eligibility.  

Just now, jbmad said:

But why reclass when it will hurt his college eligibility.  

Well, he couldn’t have gone to Gilman as a senior transfer, that’s one reason. But I’m not sure that rule even applies, haven’t heard of one player who actually has lost eligibility from this rule. 

It went into effect this year, your time starts as soon as your regular graduating class graduates. So he will only have 3 years of eligibility in college and if he red shirts only 2

19 minutes ago, jbmad said:

It went into effect this year, your time starts as soon as your regular graduating class graduates. So he will only have 3 years of eligibility in college and if he red shirts only 2

Stupid decision if true.  Don’t really worry about reclassing. Calvert Hall kids have to do it before HS.  Kids were held back by parents for solely academic reasons back in my day.  I make a motion that kids not be allowed to do this BS in Maryland.  Can’t stand this crap!

7 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

Stupid decision if true.  Don’t really worry about reclassing. Calvert Hall kids have to do it before HS.  Kids were held back by parents for solely academic reasons back in my day.  I make a motion that kids not be allowed to do this BS in Maryland.  Can’t stand this crap!

I was told this by a coach last week Guru, and agree with you totally. What happened to going to a prep school after high school if you didn't make the grades or needed to work on your game a bit more because you were a late bloomer or had a injury

BCL/WCAC Challenge

December 2nd @ UMBC

Bishop McNamara vs. Mt Carmel - 2pm

St Mary’s Ryken vs. John Carroll - 3:45pm

St John’s (DC) vs. Mt St Joe - 5:15pm

Gonzaga  vs. St Frances - 7pm