Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGuru

2017-18 Baltimore Metro HS Basketball Thread

230 posts in this topic

John Carroll, playing without Quickley(who has Mono), blew MSJ out 74-53. Mathis had 30. Might be a long season for MSJ if the young players don’t step up fast. 

I was at the game and Mathis was the best player on the court that night I think he had like 5 dunks. The overseas player is really going to help JC this year.

Just watched Gilman lose 61-54 to Gerstell Academy, absolutely horrible. Mine you, they were winning 14-0 and took a 10 point lead into the fourth. Only to lose by 17 in the quarter. Absolute breakdown. 

Obviously, this team isn’t much without Chase Drew. The Sandy kid, had heard he had gotten a lot better, is just a liability inside. Gilman had to be outrebouded by like 30, it was that bad. Rucker was Rucker, he had 20. Nobody else had double figures. The ninth grade kid Malik Missouri, was in foul trouble the whole game. So really don’t know what he will bring yet. He hit his first shot, a three. But never got into a groove because of fouls. Madison didn’t start, I assume because of coming from football and probably not actually knowing the playbook yet. They also didn’t play Jordan Foster until the end of the second quarter, I guess this was a disciplinary move. 

Unless the Missouri kid is as good as advertised or Foster steps up, will be another long season for Gilman as it will just be Rucker and Madison scoring. With Booker deciding again not to play, they’re horrible inside. Literally, HORRIBLE. Soft as shiit, and kids look scared half the time. 

Lmao! Gilman goes from challenger’s for the MIAA crown to doormats in less than a month. Losing to Gerstell is really bad! Now I’m not embarrassed by CHC’s loss to Goretti last night.  At least Goretti is not a C-conference team like Gerstell and they have some skilled players. To be honest, it’s early in the season but I believe your assessment of Gilman basketball to be spot on.  

21 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

Lmao! Gilman goes from challenger’s for the MIAA crown to doormats in less than a month. Losing to Gerstell is really bad! Now I’m not embarrassed by CHC’s loss to Goretti last night.  At least Goretti is not a C-conference team like Gerstell and they have some skilled players. To be honest, it’s early in the season but I believe your assessment of Gilman basketball to be spot on.  

Gerstell isn’t C conference, they’re B and have seriously ramped up their program. They might have the best ninth grader in the area, and nephew of one of my childhood friends from the East Side. This kid Ahmad Harrison. This was their fourth game and Gilman’s first. They also almost beat Loyola and Mt. Carmel. 

That being said, no reason why Gilman should have lost this game. The new Coach is definitely better than the last, much better offense and defense, but seriously question his rotations. That being said, he can’t make kid’s not soft. Losing by 17 in the fourth, is embarrassing. 

I also never said they were contenders, just that they would beat CHC. Said, had they had Chase Drew this year, they would be contenders. 

They almost beat Loyola,  what does Loyola have tis year, didn't think much

26 minutes ago, jbmad said:

They almost beat Loyola,  what does Loyola have tis year, didn't think much

I don’t know, but they’re undefeated. Gerstell has some young really good guards, a one big kid that’s solid. Still, Gilman shouldn’t have lost that game.

The fact that they couldn’t get a rebound, probably had 3 times more fouls than Gerstell, and the fact that the coach played way too many players, killed them. Like I said, they were up 14-0, then Coach decided to put in a round of subs, Gerstell comes back. He has Madison in to help them get a 10 point lead going into the fourth, he benched he and Foster for some transfer kid from Friends, who couldn’t guard anybody.

He has to tighten up their rotation, and realize that if kid’s can’t guard or rebound, they should not be in the game. Play Franks, he’s a big body and can’t be any worse than the kids they have playing Center and Power Forward. 

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM

13 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I don’t know, but they’re undefeated. Gerstell has some young really good guards, a one big kid that’s solid. Still, Gilman shouldn’t have lost that game.

The fact that they couldn’t get a rebound, probably had 3 times more fouls than Gerstell, and the fact that the coach played way too many players, killed them. Like I said, they were up 14-0, then Coach decided to put in a round of subs, Gerstell comes back. He has Madison in to help them get a 10 point lead going into the fourth, he benched he and Foster for some transfer kid from Friends, who couldn’t guard anybody.

He has to tighten up their rotation, and realize that if kid’s can’t guard or rebound, they should not be in the game. Play Franks, he’s a big body and can’t be any worse than the kids they have playing Center and Power Forward. 

most of the football kids have attended maybe 3-4 practices considering the probably did not go after the championship game. I think they just need some time to get in the swing of things, new coach is going to change the culture he just needs time.

Edited by 1stdown

9 minutes ago, 1stdown said:

most of the football kids have attended maybe 3-4 practices considering the probably did not go after the championship game. I think they just need some time to get in the swing of things, new coach is going to change the culture he just needs time.

I think you’re right. It’s just one game(the first at that), and I really liked his X’s and O’s. Loved the defense they were playing. Just didn’t like the rotations. Once Madison gets in basketball shape, they will have another scorer. Definitely believe the new coach will change the culture, he’s already brought in some serious talent. They’re a year away. 

1 hour ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I think you’re right. It’s just one game(the first at that), and I really liked his X’s and O’s. Loved the defense they were playing. Just didn’t like the rotations. Once Madison gets in basketball shape, they will have another scorer. Definitely believe the new coach will change the culture, he’s already brought in some serious talent. They’re a year away. 

He cant do anything when he can only play 8-9 of 15 kids. within a week or two they'll be fine.

Cam Briggs is no longer with CHC's team? Big loss if this is true.

Gilman loses to Gerstell and McDonogh loses to St. Paul's. Top B's usually are equivalent to lower tier A's and McDonogh has taken a step down from last year. B conference race should be St. P's, Gerstell and Severn. Loyola has some guys now and for the future, not top tier but much improved.

2 hours ago, ShoNuff said:

Gilman loses to Gerstell and McDonogh loses to St. Paul's. Top B's usually are equivalent to lower tier A's and McDonogh has taken a step down from last year. B conference race should be St. P's, Gerstell and Severn. Loyola has some guys now and for the future, not top tier but much improved.

MCD looks like an all guard squad. Nobody over 6'4". No real #4 or #5. 

2 hours ago, ShoNuff said:

McDonogh lost to St. Paul’s again this year? I mean they still have talent there, I think this is a horrible loss. 

From what I heard John Carroll lost to St Frances in OT after John Carrol hit a buzzer beater that they overturned.

On 11/29/2017 at 4:35 PM, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

McDonogh lost to St. Paul’s again this year? I mean they still have talent there, I think this is a horrible loss. 

SP is solid this year for a B Team. Front court goes 6'7", 6'3" and 6'3" and they all are wide. Front court returns both guards and bench returns 6th,7th and 8th man from B Conference Champions of last year. This team beat McD last year by 14 and should have easily beat Gilman last year (was up 14 with 6 min's to go and Gilman's guard got hot. Gilman won by 1). SP should easily win the B (conference is way down this year), and should play a few of the mid A's tough. Has a rematch with Gilman in a few weeks. 

Agree on McD, much smaller than usual and you have to ask why so many of the football players at the school aren't playing. I heard the PG recruit also hurt his knee in the fall and is out. But no size what so ever in the front court, and outside of Locke no real shooting. They need a PG that can penetrate and kick to get Locke shots, and one that can run an offense in sets.  No way Locke should only have 9 points vs SP. They don't have the talent to just get out and run, so coach TJ is going to have to manage the game.      

22 minutes ago, Express said:

SP is solid this year for a B Team. Front court goes 6'7", 6'3" and 6'3" and they all are wide. Front court returns both guards and bench returns 6th,7th and 8th man from B Conference Champions of last year. This team beat McD last year by 14 and should have easily beat Gilman last year (was up 14 with 6 min's to go and Gilman's guard got hot. Gilman won by 1). SP should easily win the B (conference is way down this year), and should play a few of the mid A's tough. Has a rematch with Gilman in a few weeks. 

Agree on McD, much smaller than usual and you have to ask why so many of the football players at the school aren't playing. I heard the PG recruit also hurt his knee in the fall and is out. But no size what so ever in the front court, and outside of Locke no real shooting. They need a PG that can penetrate and kick to get Locke shots, and one that can run an offense in sets.  No way Locke should only have 9 points vs SP. They don't have the talent to just get out and run, so coach TJ is going to have to manage the game.      

I won’t say they should easily win the B. Gerstell will not be a pushover. Beating Gilman, and almost beating a very good Top 10 ranked Mt. Carmel team says a lot about them. I think they play McD tonight. They’re young, but have very good coaching and guard play. 

Locke should never score in single digits when there’s a shot clock. Too talented of a player. 

2 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I won’t say they should easily win the B. Gerstell will not be a pushover. Beating Gilman, and almost beating a very good Top 10 ranked Mt. Carmel team says a lot about them. I think they play McD tonight. They’re young, but have very good coaching and guard play. 

Locke should never score in single digits when there’s a shot clock. Too talented of a player. 

Gerstell beating a second-tier Gilman and almost beating Mt. Carmel means nothing.  It’s early in the season.  Things will change once teams get more games under their belt.  Except for your perpetual underachiever Greyhounds.

The BCL recently released their pre-season All-BCL Teams:

1st Team

SFA G Adrian Baldwin

CHC G Brendan Adams

JC G Montez Mathis

JC G Immanuel Quickly

MSJ F Jalen Smith

2nd Team

MSJ G James Bishop

JC F Yavuz Gultekin

SMG G RJ Blakeney 

OLMC F Jordon Jones

SFA F Koran Moore

3rd Team

LOY G JJ Halaby

SMG G Josh Mack

MSJ G Kendall McMillian  

CHC G Logan Curtis

SFA G Ed Ferguson

Edited by TheGuru

1 hour ago, TheGuru said:

Gerstell beating a second-tier Gilman and almost beating Mt. Carmel means nothing.  It’s early in the season.  Things will change once teams get more games under their belt.  Except for your perpetual underachiever Greyhounds.

When Gilman beats CHC, remember me telling you so. Gilman is definitely second tier, at least for one more year. They won’t be next year. 

26 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

When Gilman beats CHC, remember me telling you so. Gilman is definitely second tier, at least for one more year. They won’t be next year. 

You said that when they had Foster, Duncan & that crew.  You said it last year with Rucker and Madison.  It won’t happen.  Gilman has never been good in the MIAA in A Conference basketball.  Go down to the B Conference and you might win some games.

20 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

You said that when they had Foster, Duncan & that crew.  You said it last year with Rucker and Madison.  It won’t happen.  Gilman has never been good in the MIAA in A Conference basketball.  Go down to the B Conference and you might win some games.

They’ve beaten CHC, multiple times in the last decade. They will this year as well, and definitely will next year. 

15 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

They’ve beaten CHC, multiple times in the last decade. They will this year as well, and definitely will next year. 

True, your Greyhounds have won 3 out of 11 games vs the Cardinals since the ‘05-‘06 season.  That’s a .272 winning percentage for your A-Conference perpetual underachiever Gilman varsity basketball team.

58 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

True, your Greyhounds have won 3 out of 11 games vs the Cardinals since the ‘05-‘06 season.  That’s a .272 winning percentage for your A-Conference perpetual underachiever Gilman varsity basketball team.

Sounds like banner number for the hounds 😂😂😂

On 11/29/2017 at 9:11 PM, 1stdown said:

From what I heard John Carroll lost to St Frances in OT after John Carrol hit a buzzer beater that they overturned.

Watched the video. The refs blew that one, which happens. Technically, John Carroll won in regulation. That ball was out of the JC players hand with .2 seconds left and it was easy to see in slow motion. Not so much live. 3 point foul to tie the game by SFA was a shaky call also. IMO you have to let them play at that point in the game. You don’t call a foul with a crap angle because the shooter gets dramatic. Very cool game to watch though. SFA pulled away in OT. Both teams look strong.

Gilman beat Friends 74-42. Nobody scored in double figures. Rucker lead with 9, starters barely played. One observation, Jordan Foster is EXPLOSIVE! Don’t know why he didn’t play much last game, obviously there was an issue. But the kid can ball.