Followers 0
TheGuru

2017-18 Baltimore Metro HS Basketball Thread

230 posts in this topic

The Baltimore Hoops festival January 6th @ ST.Fances 

11am - Randallstown vs. New era
12:45pm Milford Mill vs. Mervo
2:30pm - St. Vincent Pallotti High School vs. Bladensburg 
4:15pm - Mt. Carmel vs. Admiral Farragut Academy (St. Petersburg Florida)
6pm - McDonogh School vs. Baltimore Polytechnic Institute
8pm - #1. Saint Frances Academy vs. #2. Patterson High Clippers 

Jan 7th @ St. Vincent Pallotti in Laurel Md.

1pm St. Vincent Pallotti High School vs. Admiral Farragut Academy (St. Petersburg Florida)

***Corrected Schedule***

The 22nd Annual Bball Academy at Morgan State University

Thursday, January 11, 2018
3:00 pm City College vs. New Town (G)
4:15 pm Poly vs. Franklin (G)
5:30 pm Hammond vs. Woodlawn (B)
6:45 pm Dunbar vs. Milford Mill (B)
8:00 pm Patterson vs. St. Maria Goretti (B)

Friday, January 12, 2018
3:00 pm Western vs. Mt. Carmel (G)
4:15 pm New Town vs. Hammond (B)
5:30 pm Edmondson vs. Oxon Hill (B)
6:45 pm Woodlawn vs. Old Mill (B)
8:00 pm Lake Clifton vs. Mt. Carmel (B)
9:15 pm Perry Hall vs. Riverdale Baptist (B) presented by Under Armour

Saturday, January 13, 2018
10:00am New Town vs. Poly (G)
11:15am Mt. Carmel vs. City College (G)
12:30pm   Franklin vs. Western (G)
1:45pm   Chapelgate vs. New Town (B)
3:00pm   Milford Mill vs. Edmondson (B)
4:15pm   Old Mill vs. Dunbar (B)
5:30pm   Oxon Hill vs. Lake Clifton (B)
6:45pm   Riverdale Baptist vs. Patterson (B) presented by Under Armour
8:00pm   McDonogh vs. Perry Hall (B)

Edited by TheGuru

Gilman beat West Nottingham Academy 80-50. Have no clue how they blew that game Gerstell. They look really good. Rucker had 24, Foster had 15.

Team looks really good. Have to give the coach props, because he made the necessary changes. He benched players who shouldn’t have been playing. Really impressed with Spanky Dixon’s play. He’s a glue player they needed. 

Charm City Challenge - MSJ v SJC

Gaels broke open a 1 point game at the under 4 mark and put away the Cadets, 63-51. Stix had 21. Gonzaga topped SFA by 24.

1 hour ago, themamba said:

Charm City Challenge - Gonzaga v SFA

Didn’t expect this with Gonzaga’s two best players(Hubb and Gill) out. 6’6 sophomore Terrance Williams putting up 22 against a team like SFA worries me as a DM fan. The WCAC might be crowded at the top this year with PVI, DM and GZ all looking great early. 

Edited by Silverbullet

Boys Latin defeats Mt. Carmel 65-54 in their MIAA season opener.

1Q: 18-14 BL

HT: 30-20 BL

3Q: 47-36 BL

Final: 65-54 BL

Looking forward to seeing Calvert Hall play the Dunbar Poets for the 1st time I can remember since I was in HS in the early to mid 80s. The game is scheduled for 7pm at Coppin State University.

CHC started the season 0-3 losing to St. Maria Goretti, Mount Carmel and John Carroll.  The Cardinals could drop to 0-4 tonight against the Poets. 

Dunbar returns 2nd Team All-Metro SR F DaShawn Phillip who will be a handful for CHC’s frontcourt to contain.  

Fellow 2nd Team All-Metro SR G Brendan Adams along with FR G Darius Tilghman, JR G Logan Curtis and SO F Montez McNeill have to step up for the Cardinals as they try to win their first game of the young season.  

Prior to the Cardinals and Poets game, Lake Clifton takes on John Carroll at 5:15pm.  

John Carroll, led by Montez Mathis’ 19 pts, beat Lake Clifton easily on Thursday night at Coppin State University, 77-54.  

The second game, between Calvert Hall and Dunbar was much more exciting.  The Poets won 69-68 on a last second defense stop at the rim.  Brendan Adams led all scorers in the game with 20 pts.  Adams was joined in double figures by G Myles Morris with 16 pts and G Logan Curtis who finished with 12 pts.

Dunbar’s guards Zephaniah Esguerra and Jamal West each had 16 pts to lead the Poets to the win.

According to Varsity Sports Network, Calvert Hall head coach, John Bauersfeld was quoted as saying, “I thought we played a pretty good third quarter but made some defensive mistakes in the fourth quarter. When you’re undersized you almost have to play perfect defensively.”

I agree with Coach JB but I think he made a big mistake not playing SO F Montez McNeil late in the game.  Dunbar took a late lead in a outback by one of their undersized guards because McNeil was on the bench. IMO, McNeil offers size in the post and may have been able to block out the scorer or at least interfere with the easy go ahead basket.

If Coach JB is not very careful, McNeil might be the next Calvert Hall big man in consecutive years, after Justin Lewis, to transfer out due to insufficient playing time.  I heard that McNeil’s mother isn’t happy with her son’s playing time thus far this season.

CHC has a good rotation going with Adams, Curtis, Morris, Pierce Robinson, Darius Tilghman and McNeil but I think they need to change a few things.  

I already mentioned McNeil’s playing time but the talented sophomore should play at least 25-30 minutes a game.  If he does he’s almost guaranteed a double-double every night.

Second, Morris and JR G Terrence Henderson should be the primary ballhandlers, along with Tilghman, in bringing the ball up the court.  Adams and Curtis should be in the frontcourt ready to execute the offensive play with more time on the clock.

Finally, I’d like to see what 6-6 JR F Michael Wright and JR G Jaylen Raikes could do with even moderate playing time.  Wright could provide much-needed height when McNeil is on the bench and Raikes could add an additional scorer when Adams or Curtis need a blow.

CHC lost last night to John Carroll, 74-64.  Surprisingly close score for the 0-5 Cardinals.  I think they’ll get better as a team.  The Cardinals have a chance to win 4 out of their next 5 games with Severn School, Glenelg Country, Gilman and Loyola coming up on the schedule before Christmas.

Edited by TheGuru

Good games today at the Shirts vs Skins Classic today at Coppin State University.  The schedule includes: 

3:45pm Putnam Science Academy (CT) vs Mt. Zion (MD)

5:30pm Bishop Loughlin (NY) vs John Carroll (MD)

7:00pm Mt. Carmel (MD) vs Dulaney (MD) 

8:30am St. Benedict’s (NJ) vs St. Frances Academy (MD)

Mt. Zion’s game is interesting because of the Baltimore connection of Jayden Saddler, Tyler Foster and Andre Rafus.  

I was told that JTIII’s Georgetown coaching staff wanted Foster to complete a postgraduate year to get stronger and improve his game but the 3-star Gilman graduate decommitted in response.  I hope Greyhound Alum can confirm or refute this.

Rafus decommitted from TCU in March of this year but word is that he didn’t have the grades to attend the Big 12 school. My source stated if Rafus had remained at SFA he would have qualified for TCU.  His exact words were, “When has Coach Nick Myles not had a kid qualify for college? Never.”

Saddler has offers from Towson, Rider and UNC-Greensboro but the Aberdeen HS grad decided on a year at Mt. Zion to improve his skills and exposure.

I’m also looking forward to seeing Dulaney HS and St. Frances Academy for the first time tonight.

Edited by TheGuru

Good write-ups. Appreciate the CHC review and preview. I don't think Dulaney will be a able to play, as BalCo cancelled all activities, including all sporting events involving their members.

9 hours ago, themamba said:

Good write-ups. Appreciate the CHC review and preview. I don't think Dulaney will be a able to play, as BalCo cancelled all activities, including all sporting events involving their members.

Was on my way to Coppin for the three evening games when I checked the Shirts vs Skins website.  All games in the evening cancelled due to inclement weather.  What a joke!  I feel bad for the kids.  There were three good matchups that fans didn’t get to see.

On 12/9/2017 at 9:25 AM, TheGuru said:

Good games today at the Shirts vs Skins Classic today at Coppin State University.  The schedule includes: 

3:45pm Putnam Science Academy (CT) vs Mt. Zion (MD)

5:30pm Bishop Loughlin (NY) vs John Carroll (MD)

7:00pm Mt. Carmel (MD) vs Dulaney (MD) 

8:30am St. Benedict’s (NJ) vs St. Frances Academy (MD)

Mt. Zion’s game is interesting because of the Baltimore connection of Jayden Saddler, Tyler Foster and Andre Rafus.  

I was told that JTIII’s Georgetown coaching staff wanted Foster to complete a postgraduate year to get stronger and improve his game but the 3-star Gilman graduate decommitted in response.  I hope Greyhound Alum can confirm or refute this.

Rafus decommitted from TCU in March of this year but word is that he didn’t have the grades to attend the Big 12 school. My source stated if Rafus had remained at SFA he would have qualified for TCU.  His exact words were, “When has Coach Nick Myles not had a kid qualify for college? Never.”

Saddler has offers from Towson, Rider and UNC-Greensboro but the Aberdeen HS grad decided on a year at Mt. Zion to improve his skills and exposure.

I’m also looking forward to seeing Dulaney HS and St. Frances Academy for the first time tonight.

I believe what you’re saying about Foster is true. Seems like that kid has been in high school forever! 

Speaking of Foster, his little brother is looking very good for Gilman, super athletic. Really surprised he quit playing football, because he was a hell of a player.  He’s Gilman’s best rebounder, at 6’ feet tall. Gilman is very good at the guard position, with him, Rucker and Madison. But they’re soft as silly putty up front, which will kill them. 

Like I said, they’re one year away. They have three kids on JV, that are special! Watched tape of their JV against MSJ’s JV, they gave the much taller MSJ all they could handle. Malik Missouri starts on varsity as a ninth grader, but I believe there’s two kids on JV who might be better in the future. And Jelani Roberts little brother, is a much better basketball player than football. He has a sick handle and passing ability. If they all stay together, WATCH OUT!  

CHC lost to Severn School on Monday night to fall to 0-6.  They play SFA tonight.  They’ll more than likely lose to the Panthers who are one of the top 3 teams in the BCL/MIAA and fall to 0-7.  It’s officially panic time on Lasalle Rd.  Although CHC lost Josh Cornish, Justin Lewis and Cameron Briggs, Coach JB’s Team has talented players remaining in their top 7-8 rotation.  JB has talented assistant coaches in David Gately and Nashid Coleman. So what’s the problem?  I can’t figure it out. The Cardinals HC is skirting the line with being fired.  I think that Coach JB may have lost this team.  They have talented enough players to have won at least 3 games so far.   The way things are going, Calvert Hall could lose 20 or more games this season.

Edited by TheGuru

Poly began the fourth with a 17-4 run to put away Perry Hall, 72-63, in a battle of defending state champions. D Mims finished with 29.

8 hours ago, TheGuru said:

CHC lost to Severn School on Monday night to fall to 0-6.  They play SFA tonight.  They’ll more than likely lose to the Panthers who are one of the top 3 teams in the BCL/MIAA and fall to 0-7.  It’s officially panic time on Lasalle Rd.  Although CHC lost Josh Cornish, Justin Lewis and Cameron Briggs, Coach JB’s Team has talented players remaining in their top 7-8 rotation.  JB has talented assistant coaches in David Gately and Nashid Coleman. So what’s the problem?  I can’t figure it out. The Cardinals HC is skirting the line with being fired.  I think that Coach JB may have lost this team.  They have talented enough players to have won at least 3 games so far.   The way things are going, Calvert Hall could lose 20 or games this season.

That’s a horrible loss! But I’m going to rescind my prediction of Gilman beating the Hall this year. Only because I’m a little buzzed from early day drinking here, hard not to when it’s 80 degree weather. Just watched the game online against Palotti. 

Gilman lost by 7. Palotti, nothing speacisl at all, but they can shoot and only missed three free throws. Gilman missed about 20! Madison lead the way with 18. Rucker has 13, was in foul trouble the whole game. Ciaran Sandy had I believe a career high of 16. Misleading 16. 

Gilman’s issue in the game and season is, they can’t shoot or rebound! They can’t shoot threes or free throws. Love the new coaches schemes, but he has a team that is limited in the shooting and heart department. I’m not going to talk about the ninth grader, he’s a kid. But the 18 years old Sandy, isn’t ready for Baltimore City basketball. Can’t catch the ball, a human turnover and looks scared. CHC will beat them, even though they shouldn’t. 

55 minutes ago, themamba said:

Poly began the fourth with a 17-4 run to put away Perry Hall, 72-63, in a battle of defending state champions. D Mims finished with 29.

Mamba, how did Justin Lewis look?

57 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

That’s a horrible loss! But I’m going to rescind my prediction of Gilman beating the Hall this year. Only because I’m a little buzzed from early day drinking here, hard not to when it’s 80 degree weather. Just watched the game online against Palotti. 

Gilman lost by 7. Palotti, nothing speacisl at all, but they can shoot and only missed three free throws. Gilman missed about 20! Madison lead the way with 18. Rucker has 13, was in foul trouble the whole game. Ciaran Sandy had I believe a career high of 16. Misleading 16. 

Gilman’s issue in the game and season is, they can’t shoot or rebound! They can’t shoot threes or free throws. Love the new coaches schemes, but he has a team that is limited in the shooting and heart department. I’m not going to talk about the ninth grader, he’s a kid. But the 18 years old Sandy, isn’t ready for Baltimore City basketball. Can’t catch the ball, a human turnover and looks scared. CHC will beat them, even though they shouldn’t. 

Even when drunk you still talk nonsense.  You have no player on your team as talented as Brendan Adams or Logan Curtis.  You have no one that can rebound and play interior defense like Montez McNeil.  Pierce Robinson, Myles Morris and Darius Tilghman round out a better top 6 than what Gilman has.  I was counting both Gilman games as wins.  But what do I know.  I thought the Cardinals would be 3-3 before tonight’s game against SFA.

Edited by TheGuru

1 minute ago, TheGuru said:

Even when drunk you still talk nonsense.  You have no player on your team as talented as Brendan Adams or Logan Curtis.  You have no one that can rebound and play interior defense like Montez McNeil.  Pierce Robinson, Myles Morris and Darius Tilghman round out a better top 6 than what Gilman has.  I was counting both Gilman games as wins.  But what do I know.  I thought the Cardinals would be 3-3 before tonight’s game against SFA.

Logan Curtis, isn’t better than Jalen Rucker. STOP THAT! And honestly, the kid that has a bigger upside over Adams, is Foster! Foster, is an ELITE athlete and ball handler. His shot is too streaky. But, I would take him over Adams as a recruit, without a doubt. Now rebounding, you can put anybody in that category, and they’re better than any of the Gilman “big” men. 

4 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

Logan Curtis, isn’t better than Jalen Rucker. STOP THAT! And honestly, the kid that has a bigger upside over Adams, is Foster! Foster, is an ELITE athlete and ball handler. His shot is too streaky. But, I would take him over Adams as a recruit, without a doubt. Now rebounding, you can put anybody in that category, and they’re better than any of the Gilman “big” men. 

Every Gilman kid is better than every other school’s kids even when they beat Gilman head to head.  Adams is 6’4” and going to play at Rhode Island.  Young Mr. Foster is 5’11”, isn’t better than his brother and Tyler had to go to prep school to work on his game after graduation.  

1 minute ago, TheGuru said:

Every Gilman kid is better than every other school’s kids even when they beat Gilman head to head.  Adams is 6’4” and going to play at Rhode Island.  Young Mr. Foster is 5’11”, isn’t better than his brother and Tyler had to go to prep school to work on his game after graduation.  

He will be better than his brother. He’s taller than 5’11. Better athlete than his brother. Wait to you see him, he’s a big time athlete. Seriously, an elite athlete. He will Be s High D1 player by he time he’s a senior. Young and still growing. 

15 minutes ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

He will be better than his brother. He’s taller than 5’11. Better athlete than his brother. Wait to you see him, he’s a big time athlete. Seriously, an elite athlete. He will Be s High D1 player by he time he’s a senior. Young and still growing. 

I get it.  He’s the real deal!

57 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

Saw the Sun’s story on the game. Lewis had 16 pts and 12 rebounds.  What a difference one player makes.  

1 hour ago, TheGuru said:

He looked good, had a double-double. Like, 16 and 12. Game was great for 3 quarters, maybe 15 lead changes. A 1 point game at half, and a 3 point Gators lead after 3. Mims, Lewis, Ali led a 9-0 run to start the 4th that turned a 3 point deficit into a 6 point lead. Then, Hardnett fouled out with just under 5 to go. A good battle, my top 2 publics.

1 hour ago, TheGuru said:

I get it.  He’s the real deal!

No, he's a little raw. But love his game. His jumper can get better, you can't really teach his athleticism or handle. As I've said, one year away for Gilman. Those JV players I spoke of and some kids who are shooters on that JV team, they're going to be really good next year with Chase Drew.