Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGuru

2017-18 Baltimore Metro HS Basketball Thread

224 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, hoopsfan2016 said:

Ranney were in the top 25 with 2 top 10 players. Former Terp Tahj Holden is their coach.

Then it must have been a typical BS ranking 'cause it seems that they are around 500 now and is that even more over-hyped ranking BS....

Clearly all everything spoken about basketball  is somebody's b.s. opinion.  Difference is some get paid for their opinions and others be on message boards for free hoping they get heard. 

Those two top 10 players on that Ranney team, well those two are wanted by every college out there and projected to be NBA prospects. That's b.s. and all too. Lol.

Both Quickley and 'Sticks' were selected to the McDonald's All-American game.

7 hours ago, DayWalker said:

Then it must have been a typical BS ranking 'cause it seems that they are around 500 now and is that even more over-hyped ranking BS....

A little bit about Ranney. Not sure why the negativity. Instead of recognizing a good win for a local team, you chose to go negative..

https://www.app.com/story/sports/high-school/basketball/2017/12/15/nj-basketball-before-taking-shore-top-ranked-ranney-takes-nation/954748001/

1 hour ago, BMORE79 said:

A little bit about Ranney. Not sure why the negativity. Instead of recognizing a good win for a local team, you chose to go negative..

https://www.app.com/story/sports/high-school/basketball/2017/12/15/nj-basketball-before-taking-shore-top-ranked-ranney-takes-nation/954748001/

Not negative BMore but just being realistic and straight up.  Over stating Ranney to "BMore" than what they are and MSJ beating them doesn't better posture MSJ, especially when MSJ defeated Ranney by 23 points.  That alone make Ranney not as good as over stated.  It was so clear that MSJ is the much better team, the positive, so clearly for them to stand upon without the leg up.  Good work and good win MSJ but ALL wins are good for the winner....

Edited by DayWalker

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, BMORE79 said:

Not trying to be negative but don't overstate an OK win to be more than it really is. Had never heard of the school or seen them in the top HS rankings. I never scrolled down that far. 473 is a lot of scrolls. Beat a top 50 team and I'll give you props. Beat a team at 473 and you want props, a pat on the back, you were supposed to beat them. Good job, now go beat some other good teams. Hope it's not a millennial thing. 

It was a good win for the unregarded MSJ players. NBA scouts and college coaches got to see them against 2 projected lottery picks. There's more to basketball then what this messsge boards says. Limited views make limited minded people. MSJ represented Baltimore MD well with what they built in-house coming in as freshman, no out of state transfers or international trsnsfers or local transfers. 

In fact it was great win for MSJ with a high level of difficulty for their current roster construction during this current season.

Edited by hoopsfan2016

double post, sorry...

Edited by DayWalker

You top this, top that, national ranked speaking lovers just floor me.  The Ranney team with the supposed two bad@zz all-worlds were beaten by 23-points by MSJ.  Ranney is NOT a TOP national team as stated.  Of all the basketball games going on all over the country, how do you know NBA scouts and college coaches were so interested and perched in the stands to see Ranney take on "UNREGARDED" MSJ???  Please stop the over-the-top cheap fluffy fluff homer banter!!!  MSJ did not "represent" Baltimore with a so-called built-in house team.  MSJ merely represented MSJ as a better team beating a not as good Ranney team.  MSJ beating Ranney was NOT a GREAT unexpected underdog win homer...  It was merely a win that was good like all wins.

Lol.

You right.

Deep insightful analysis right there.

Edited by hoopsfan2016

14 hours ago, 58Colts said:

Not trying to be negative but don't overstate an OK win to be more than it really is. Had never heard of the school or seen them in the top HS rankings. I never scrolled down that far. 473 is a lot of scrolls. Beat a top 50 team and I'll give you props. Beat a team at 473 and you want props, a pat on the back, you were supposed to beat them. Good job, now go beat some other good teams. Hope it's not a millennial thing. 

Your first mistake is following the Max Prep Rankings. I simply pointed out a good win and you can see by the link provided Ranney has some talent. The game was part of a large event in Springfield, MA, and included many of the top teams and players in the country. And yes the games were attended by some NBA scouts and big time college coaches.In the clippings, Ranney was advertised with a  national ranking.  I will be the first to admit there are many polls out there and t take them with a grain of salt, but still a good win for St. Joe.

58 minutes ago, BMORE79 said:

Your first mistake is following the Max Prep Rankings. I simply pointed out a good win and you can see by the link provided Ranney has some talent. The game was part of a large event in Springfield, MA, and included many of the top teams and players in the country. And yes the games were attended by some NBA scouts and big time college coaches.In the clippings, Ranney was advertised with a  national ranking.  I will be the first to admit there are many polls out there and t take them with a grain of salt, but still a good win for St. Joe.

And your mistake was perhaps following the APP Ranking / Poll - their local Ashbury Park Press listing.  Yes, you pointed out a good win of MSJ over Ranney but all wins are good.  Again, MSJ was NOT an underdog to Ranney and in fact MSJ was much higher ranked than Ranney with all the ALL-WORLD NBA prospect players you think Ranney has.  Give it up, MSJ beat who they should have beaten ---- and by 23.

On 1/16/2018 at 6:38 PM, DayWalker said:

Not negative BMore but just being realistic and straight up.  Over stating Ranney to "BMore" than what they are and MSJ beating them doesn't better posture MSJ, especially when MSJ defeated Ranney by 23 points.  That alone make Ranney not as good as over stated.  It was so clear that MSJ is the much better team, the positive, so clearly for them to stand upon without the leg up.  Good work and good win MSJ but ALL wins are good for the winner....

Two 5 star recruits:

https://247sports.com/Player/Bryan-Antoine-86994

https://247sports.com/Player/Scottie-Lewis-86974

Both offered already by Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky. Not a team that should lose by 23 to anybody.

51 minutes ago, BMORE79 said:

Two 5 star recruits:

Both offered already by Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky. Not a team that should lose by 23 to anybody.

Beat a Top DC team like Gonzaga, Paul Vith, or DeMatha. Need a win for Baltimore. I'll give you all the props in the world. 2 on 5, you won, good job. Win some more.

3 minutes ago, 58Colts said:

Beat a Top DC team like Gonzaga, Paul Vith, or DeMatha. Need a win for Baltimore. I'll give you all the props in the world. 2 on 5, you won, good job. Win some more.

A simple reference to a good win by a local team - was not asking for props. You are calling yourself 58 Colt but seem to be a DC guy..interesting..

1 hour ago, BMORE79 said:

Two 5 star recruits:

But Ranney did lose to MSJ by 23-points!!!!!!  And they may have lost other games and maybe lose more.  Two 5-stars -----  give me a break!!!  :D

Edited by DayWalker

Player's mom went after Mount Carmel head coach Hakeem Hibbert in the middle of the Poly game spitting and throwing chairs at him. 

Anyone know anything?  Heard she was arrested.  And Poly won. 

1 hour ago, BmoreSports77 said:

Player's mom went after Mount Carmel head coach Hakeem Hibbert in the middle of the Poly game spitting and throwing chairs at him. 

Anyone know anything?  Heard she was arrested.  And Poly won. 

Smh.  I don’t have any more detail other than it was the mother of a senior Lake Clifton transfer.  Feel bad for that kid...

Calvert Hall’s season started badly last summer when they lost SR G Josh Cornish to Dulaney and SO F Justin Lewis to Poly through transfers. The Cardinals lost 7 straight games to open the season including a one point loss to the Dunbar Poets.

CHC’s first two wins came at the expense of Loyola and Gilman and the Cardinals ended the regular season by beating the somewhat surprising Dons and woeful Greyhounds to sweep the season series.

By beating Loyola, Calvert Hall knocked the Dons out of the MIAA playoffs.  Gilman never had a chance finishing at or near the bottom of the league.  As a result, the Cardinals take on the John Carroll Patriots on Tuesday in Harford County.  

The Cardinals lost to JC by 18 points and 15 points In both games this season.  It would be a minor miracle if the Cardinals win their opening round playoff game but if not, they’ll play at least one more game in the upcoming BCL playoffs.  Loyola also has at least one more game remaining, too.  Unfortunately, Gilman can’t say the same.  Their season was over before it began.

Edited by TheGuru

On 2/19/2018 at 9:19 AM, TheGuru said:

Calvert Hall’s season started badly last summer when they lost SR G Josh Cornish to Dulaney and SO F Justin Lewis to Poly through transfers. The Cardinals lost 7 straight games to open the season including a one point loss to the Dunbar Poets.

CHC’s first two wins came at the expense of Loyola and Gilman and the Cardinals ended the regular season by beating the somewhat surprising Dons and woeful Greyhounds to sweep the season series.

By beating Loyola, Calvert Hall knocked the Dons out of the MIAA playoffs.  Gilman never had a chance finishing at or near the bottom of the league.  As a result, the Cardinals take on the John Carroll Patriots on Tuesday in Harford County.  

The Cardinals lost to JC by 18 points and 15 points In both games this season.  It would be a minor miracle if the Cardinals win their opening round playoff game but if not, they’ll play at least one more game in the upcoming BCL playoffs.  Loyola also has at least one more game remaining, too.  Unfortunately, Gilman can’t say the same.  Their season was over before it began.

I've been busy travelling, so was out of loop. FYI, Gilman is still playing. They're in the championship game of the Independent School Tourney. They beat a very good Palottii team in the semis. Beat Glenelg Country School two times in a row. Before that, lost to your boys by 2, BL by 3, in a game they got HOSED IN, watched it online. 

As I said before, they're a year away. Next year, they will be right there with EVERYBODY, with Chase Drew. They're loaded with talent, the Missouri kid got much better and the ninth grade kid they brought up, Matt Cooper is big time. We don't have to talk about Rucker. Will have a great start five, and finally have a bench. 

3 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I've been busy travelling, so was out of loop. FYI, Gilman is still playing. They're in the championship game of the Independent School Tourney. They beat a very good Palottii team in the semis. Beat Glenelg Country School two times in a row. Before that, lost to your boys by 2, BL by 3, in a game they got HOSED IN, watched it online. 

As I said before, they're a year away. Next year, they will be right there with EVERYBODY, with Chase Drew. They're loaded with talent, the Missouri kid got much better and the ninth grade kid they brought up, Matt Cooper is big time. We don't have to talk about Rucker. Will have a great start five, and finally have a bench. 

Definitely have some Ball Players. They got hosed a lot this year. Judging by their record about 20 times. Easily one of the best teams that consistently lost ever. Reminds me of the last 2 big G football teams, losing games but oh so good. Could rival the Dunbar teams of the early 80's in terms of future NBA players. Ok. Just kidding there. G, who is everybody? In a few minutes a van is going to pull up and these nice men in white coats are going to take you to a nice place where Gilman never loses and never gets hosed. Just kidding. I love your optimism. Maybe your right but I think it's a stretch. They are way below the best teams in the DMV. They lost 20 games. They're not tanking like NBA teams to get a better draft pick so the only explanation is they aren't good. I thought they came in last in the league didn't they? Hope it happens, but don't see it.

12 hours ago, 58Colts said:

Definitely have some Ball Players. They got hosed a lot this year. Judging by their record about 20 times. Easily one of the best teams that consistently lost ever. Reminds me of the last 2 big G football teams, losing games but oh so good. Could rival the Dunbar teams of the early 80's in terms of future NBA players. Ok. Just kidding there. G, who is everybody? In a few minutes a van is going to pull up and these nice men in white coats are going to take you to a nice place where Gilman never loses and never gets hosed. Just kidding. I love your optimism. Maybe your right but I think it's a stretch. They are way below the best teams in the DMV. They lost 20 games. They're not tanking like NBA teams to get a better draft pick so the only explanation is they aren't good. I thought they came in last in the league didn't they? Hope it happens, but don't see it.

😂😂

St Frances rallies from down 10 points midway through the 3rd quarter to defeat Mt St Joe 52-50. Its the 8th BCL Tournament title for SFA.

On 3/4/2018 at 4:36 PM, DJGreg1200 said:

St Frances rallies from down 10 points midway through the 3rd quarter to defeat Mt St Joe 52-50. Its the 8th BCL Tournament title for SFA.

Was a real good game. The dark skin bald headed ref definitely had money on St Frances. He favored them the entire game and made a couple crucial dumb calls. Baldwin showed up at money time. Am interested to see how Baldwin progresses as a player. 

DJ Greg, what's going on with the 2 players at Milford. Will it affect the playoffs