Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheGuru

2017-18 Baltimore Metro HS Basketball Thread

224 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ShoNuff said:

DJ Greg, what's going on with the 2 players at Milford. Will it affect the playoffs

1 hour ago, ShoNuff said:

DJ Greg, what's going on with the 2 players at Milford. Will it affect the playoffs

What two players?

Not sure, I heard two players on the basketball team got caught up with authorities

9 minutes ago, ShoNuff said:

Not sure, I heard two players on the basketball team got caught up with authorities

I haven’t heard anything like that. To my knowledge everyone has been at practice all week. I guess if it is true, we’ll find out tomorrow when the starting lineups are announced 

AACS (12-15) won the Maryland Independent School Tournament by hammering THE Gilman School, 82-68.  AACS beat McDonogh & Bullis to reach the final while the worst Private School Team in the state, THE Gilman School (10-21), turned back Glenelg Country School and Pallotti for the right to be AACS’ sacrificial hounds in the title game.  Back to the drawing board for THE Gilman School which hasn’t been relevant in area HS basketball EVER! Even with the real deal talents they’ve had in the last 5-6 years.  Smh!

5 hours ago, TheGuru said:

AACS (12-15) won the Maryland Independent School Tournament by hammering THE Gilman School, 82-68.  AACS beat McDonogh & Bullis to reach the final while the worst Private School Team in the state, THE Gilman School (10-21), turned back Glenelg Country School and Pallotti for the right to be AACS’ sacrificial hounds in the title game.  Back to the drawing board for THE Gilman School which hasn’t been relevant in area HS basketball EVER! Even with the real deal talents they’ve had in the last 5-6 years.  Smh!

They were 11-20, stop listening to Maxpreps. While, your CHC Cards ended the year what, 10-15? A school with over 1000 kids, and team full of full time basketball players can not even finish with a winning record? But you are actually talking about a team that played the season without their best player? 

7 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

They were 11-20, stop listening to Maxpreps. While, your CHC Cards ended the year what, 10-15? A school with over 1000 kids, and team full of full time basketball players can not even finish with a winning record? But you are actually talking about a team that played the season without their best player? 

I got the record from VarsitySportsNetwork.com.  CHC was 12-18 this season, last I checked.  You complain about losing one player?  That player isn’t as good as the Baltimore County POY, Josh Cornish or the sophomore F from Poly, Justin Lewis, with scholarship offers from Maryland, Georgetown and Kansas State.  With those two players, CHC would have been in the mix for MIAA & BCL titles.  With its “best” player, Gilman would have still been Gilman.  A losing team.

53 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

I got the record from VarsitySportsNetwork.com.  CHC was 12-18 this season, last I checked.  You complain about losing one player?  That player isn’t as good as the Baltimore County POY, Josh Cornish or the sophomore F from Poly, Justin Lewis, with scholarship offers from Maryland, Georgetown and Kansas State.  With those two players, CHC would have been in the mix for MIAA & BCL titles.  With its “best” player, Gilman would have still been Gilman.  A losing team.

I bet you a case, Gilman won't be a losing team next year with Chase Drew. VSN is wrong. They got that from Maxpreps. Go to Gilman.edu for their record. 

You're talking about kids who aren't there at CHC, Drew is at Gilman and will be playing next year. 

All 3 BCL teams lost in the first round of the Alhambra tournament yesterday. Goretti to Dematha, MSJ to Gonzaga, and SFA to Bishop O’Connell. 

Its an all WCAC Semifinals with Dematha vs Paul VI and Gonzaga vs O’Connell. 

MSJ/St Frances Part IV highlight the losers bracket games on Day 2 in Cumberland. 

Posted (edited)

8 hours ago, DJGreg1200 said:

All 3 BCL teams lost in the first round of the Alhambra tournament yesterday. Goretti to Dematha, MSJ to Gonzaga, and SFA to Bishop O’Connell. 

Its an all WCAC Semifinals with Dematha vs Paul VI and Gonzaga vs O’Connell. 

MSJ/St Frances Part IV highlight the losers bracket games on Day 2 in Cumberland. 

The Baltimore privates have historically played horrendous at the Alahambra, and the futility continues.

Since the Baltimore teams started playing regularily in the tournament 47 years ago, the Baltimore privates have won just twice - '96 SFA, '82 CHC. Twice, in 48 years. They've had just 10 runner-ups, meaning the Baltimore teams have had a 25% success rate in just making the final.

Edited by themamba
*playing regularily *10 runner-ups

4 hours ago, themamba said:

The Baltimore privates have historically played horrendous at the Alahambra, and the futility continues.

Since the Baltimore teams started playing in the tournament 47 years ago, the Baltimore privates have won just twice - '96 SFA, '82 CHC. Twice, in 47 years. They've had just 9 runner-ups, meaning the Baltimore teams have had a less than 25% success rate in just making the final.

If my memory is correct, the last time a BCL team came close to winning the tourney was the undefeated MSJ team about 10 years ago that lost to Dematha by 3-5points. Like they say close only counts in horseshoes and grenades. 

15 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

I bet you a case, Gilman won't be a losing team next year with Chase Drew. VSN is wrong. They got that from Maxpreps. Go to Gilman.edu for their record. 

You're talking about kids who aren't there at CHC, Drew is at Gilman and will be playing next year. 

The Gilman team I saw this season was a turnover machine....  Had they not been so this season then perhaps they would not have been losers this year...

Posted (edited)

3 hours ago, Dub said:

If my memory is correct, the last time a BCL team came close to winning the tourney was the undefeated MSJ team about 10 years ago that lost to Dematha by 3-5points. Like they say close only counts in horseshoes and grenades. 

They came close last year, leading Gonzaga by 3 heading into the fourth, before losing by 12. The '06 MSJ team, ranked 5th in the USA Today, lost 70-55 in the final. Those two Gaels teams, and the '09 SFA team, are the only 3 Baltimore privates to advance to the final in the last 18 seasons.

Edited by themamba

19 hours ago, GREYHOUND ALUM said:

G, 

Yea you don't want that fake news 10-21 out there 11-20 sounds so much better. I do have a question. When was the last time Gilman had a winning record in Basketball? 

Out of the last 10 years how many winning records? I do remember the Calvert Hall teams in '81 and 82. They were tough. Other than you, no streetball legends out of the big G. You are the only one. 

8 hours ago, themamba said:

Since the Baltimore teams started playing in the tournament 47 years ago, the Baltimore privates have won just twice - '96 SFA, '82 CHC. Twice, in 47 years. They've had just 9 runner-ups, meaning the Baltimore teams have had a less than 25% success rate in just making the final.

Thought MSJ had a chance after Gonzaga lost to Wilson where I didn't before that loss but bad, really bad 2nd half. Guess Ranney was their best win. 

Posted (edited)

18 minutes ago, 58Colts said:

Thought MSJ had a chance after Gonzaga lost to Wilson where I didn't before that loss but bad, really bad 2nd half. Guess Ranney was their best win. 

Ranney was a great win, a 23 point victory, giving Ranney 1 of its only 4 losses. Ranney plays Roselle Catholic in the Jersey Non-public A final, tomorrow. Heartbreaking news that coach Taj Holden disclosed yesterday, that his 16 month old son has been diagnosed with Pediatric Neuroblastoma, a form of cancer.

Edited by themamba

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, themamba said:

They came close last year, leading Gonzaga by 3 heading into the fourth, before losing by 12. The '06 MSJ team, ranked 5th in the USA Today, lost 70-55 in the final. Those two Gaels teams, and the '09 SFA team, are the only 3 Baltimore privates to advance to the final in the last 18 seasons.

TheMamba always knows lol. I was talking about the 2006 team you mentioned. Thought the game was closer. 

Like I tell my friends 'it's hard enough to remember what happened yesterday, let alone a week ago'. 

BTW Ranney was legit and from what I hear their PG did not play against MSJ. Not sure how much that played into that game. 

Great info once again. 

Edited by Dub

Posted (edited)

To your point, that '06 MSJ team led by 1 going into the fourth v DeMatha in the final. That game pitted the 4th ranked team in the nation, the Stags, and the 5th ranked team in the country, the Gaels. The Stags finished 34-1, the Gaels, 38-1, setting a state record for wins. The Stags lone loss was to Bishop O'Connell, who finished 4th in the WCAC. That '06 game was the 35th anniversary of their only other ACIT title game they had played in to that point (since, '17), in '71, with Scroggins and Co. going up against Adrian Dantley and the Stags.

Edited by themamba

Calvert Hall's Brendan Adams 》》》 UConn.

On 4/19/2018 at 8:09 PM, DJGreg1200 said:

Calvert Hall Head Coach John Bauersfeld steps down. 

I hope either Coach Sheed or Coach Gately get the job.

25 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

I hope either Coach Sheed or Coach Gately get the job.

Gonna bring Tooch out of retirement 

14 hours ago, jbmad said:

Gonna bring Tooch out of retirement 

I hope not.  They need a much younger coach to connect with these players today.

42 minutes ago, TheGuru said:

I hope not.  They need a much younger coach to connect with these players today.

Just a joke ,you are 100% correct. Gately would be good choice. Don't know the other guy