Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BJC

Baltimore County Football

61 posts in this topic

From what little I have seen this year, Milford appears to be the best team in the county.  Franklin has dropped two games back to back, which has not happened in a long time.  This is my top 5

1.  Milford

2. Perry Hall

3. Franklin

4. Chesapeake

5.  Overlea

Edited by BJC

...and Catonsville is having a tough year...65-7 loss today to Milford

Edited by BJC

Baltimore County has 3 legitamate state contenders in Milford Mill, Franklin and P-Hall. Besides those 3 teams the rest of the county is somewhere between average, mediocre and down. 

23 hours ago, BJC said:

From what little I have seen this year, Milford appears to be the best team in the county.  Franklin has dropped two games back to back, which has not happened in a long time.  This is my top 5

1.  Milford

2. Perry Hall

3. Franklin

4. Chesapeake

5.  Overlea

Agree with your Top 5 in the County. As a long-time follower of Baltimore County football, this year is as bad as it's ever been. Milford or Franklin are the only teams capable of advancing out of their region in the playoffs. Perry Hall isn't going anywhere in 4A, they never do. I agree with BmoreBall's assessment that outside the top three, the rest of the County is pretty much of a train wreck. Hereford has its weakest team since the pre-Turnbaugh days. The offensive line play has been mostly poor, as well as the tackling of the defense. A number of County teams are hampered by lack of numbers and size. Quite a few of these teams have rosters of fewer than 25 players, and fewer than 20 suited up for games. Just the fact that a perennial also-ran like Chesapeake is in line to win the 1A-2A Division championship shows how far County football has dropped off. It's not like Chesapeake has suddenly become a powerhouse, but more an indication that the rest of the teams have sunk to their level, or below.

Hopefully, things will start to turn around next year.

Edited by Operations

Operations- I agree with much of what you say and actually  I said earlier in the year, that it was Franklin, MM, PH and then the rest and that's how it is shaping up. Parkville is also 6-2, but their last 2 games are against PH and Franklin so we'll see if they are for real. I also am concerned with the depth that many programs have sunk to. Why are varsity Rosters in the 20 s at many schools? Even some 3A schools. The county has the worst facilities (outside of the city) and the coaching turnover is high most years. Still, the county should have 6 or 7 teams in the playoffs and hopefully some will advance beyond week 12.

I agree more teams should be competitive. But unless you’re an established power like Franklin, Milford and P-Hall, a lot of these schools have to hope the community gives them a special player like, Sample at Dundalk. The middle of the road teams who don’t attract(recruit) those next level players struggle to compete with the well established programs who have the players find their way to their programs. 

I think that is a valid point and you can't ignore the common thread at those 3 programs...stability within the coaching staffs. All 3 of those places have had the same staffs for a long time and they win consistently and they help kids get to the next level. I think the revolving door of coaches at many of the other county schools contributes to the mediocrity of those programs and it forces kids to look elsewhere.

I will let you guys say what I have been saying the last 12 years.   Baltimore County football has not been very good since the late 80's.  It is one of the reasons why Maryland will never compete on a national level if it does not go out of state to recruit.

One thing that was brought to my attention that has not been mentioned here is the state of Baltimore County schools. I have been told by quite a few people that have decided to send their kids to private schools rather than public schools that conditions are poor at best. I also have friends in the system that say the same thing, this is probably the case if the kid is a good athlete

On 10/21/2017 at 0:57 AM, BJC said:

1.  Milford

2. Perry Hall

3. Franklin

4. Chesapeake

5.  Overlea

Really don’t see how Chesapeake and Overlea are top 5, especially over 6-2 Parkville. Chesapeake played 1 Div1 team (their only loss) 2 Div3 teams and the rest Div2 teams. Overlea has played no Div1 teams, 2 Div3 teams and 1 out of county. Not saying they are not decent teams but to put them ahead of the Div1 teams that have played much tougher schedules is non sense

Not sure who would be justified as 4 or 5 after the top 3. Divisions 2 and 3 are not very good right now.

On 10/21/2017 at 11:43 PM, Operations said:

Perry Hall isn't going anywhere in 4A, they never do

Perry Hall has been able to put up some points. They can make some moves against the teams in their region. 

I can't believe it looks like Woodlawn and Towson will steal the 3 and 4 seeds in the 3A north this year after playing in the division 3. Milford and Franklin will basically have bye weeks in the first round of the playoffs and then meet in the regional final

On 10/21/2017 at 11:43 PM, Operations said:

Agree with your Top 5 in the County. As a long-time follower of Baltimore County football, this year is as bad as it's ever been. Milford or Franklin are the only teams capable of advancing out of their region in the playoffs. Perry Hall isn't going anywhere in 4A, they never do. I agree with BmoreBall's assessment that outside the top three, the rest of the County is pretty much of a train wreck. Hereford has its weakest team since the pre-Turnbaugh days. The offensive line play has been mostly poor, as well as the tackling of the defense. A number of County teams are hampered by lack of numbers and size. Quite a few of these teams have rosters of fewer than 25 players, and fewer than 20 suited up for games. Just the fact that a perennial also-ran like Chesapeake is in line to win the 1A-2A Division championship shows how far County football has dropped off. It's not like Chesapeake has suddenly become a powerhouse, but more an indication that the rest of the teams have sunk to their level, or below.

Hopefully, things will start to turn around next year.

Chesapeake is not a "perennial also-ran." Chesapeake has made the playoffs nine times, including four times in five years from 2007-2011. I would think a "long-time follower of Baltimore County football" would know this. 

As a Class 1A school, of course Chesapeake isn't going to be able to consistently knock heads with the Class 3A/4A powers in the county. But for a small school stuck down on a peninsula in Essex that draws all of its players from the surrounding community, it does all right. Two years ago, the Bayhawks were terrible and there was a bad attitude among the varsity players, so the school intentionally kept many good players down on the junior varsity so they wouldn't be affected by that attitude. That's the core of this year's team.

Chesapeake has a solid defense, but the offense depends too much on breaking long runs. Then again, Shina Aguda, who has rushed for well over 1,000 yards, seems to make a habit of breaking a couple of long runs each game. Against Randallstown this past weekend, Chesapeake trailed 12-8 late in the fourth quarter. Aguda broke a 85-yard run for a touchdown, but it was called back for a holding penalty. Three plays later, he broke a 63-yard run for the winning score. 

It's unfortunate for the Bayhawks that Dunbar and Lewis are waiting in the playoffs, but I think/hope they can give both schools a game. Heck, a week after Lewis beat New Town 8-6, Chesapeake beat New Town 34-20. 

Think about this as well.  Baltimore County kids are main feeders to MIAA A.  MIAA A has around 35 NCAA D1 commits through 7 teams. That’s high ratio of kids going to next level and they steal a lot of BC talented kids.  It’s a numbers game.  Leaves less talent in county public schools.  

Perry hall shocked franklin last friday.The Gators are improving week to week and are in a good position to make the playoffs

3 hours ago, WilliamHarvey said:

Chesapeake is not a "perennial also-ran." Chesapeake has made the playoffs nine times, including four times in five years from 2007-2011. I would think a "long-time follower of Baltimore County football" would know this. 

As a Class 1A school, of course Chesapeake isn't going to be able to consistently knock heads with the Class 3A/4A powers in the county. But for a small school stuck down on a peninsula in Essex that draws all of its players from the surrounding community, it does all right. Two years ago, the Bayhawks were terrible and there was a bad attitude among the varsity players, so the school intentionally kept many good players down on the junior varsity so they wouldn't be affected by that attitude. That's the core of this year's team.

Chesapeake has a solid defense, but the offense depends too much on breaking long runs. Then again, Shina Aguda, who has rushed for well over 1,000 yards, seems to make a habit of breaking a couple of long runs each game. Against Randallstown this past weekend, Chesapeake trailed 12-8 late in the fourth quarter. Aguda broke a 85-yard run for a touchdown, but it was called back for a holding penalty. Three plays later, he broke a 63-yard run for the winning score. 

It's unfortunate for the Bayhawks that Dunbar and Lewis are waiting in the playoffs, but I think/hope they can give both schools a game. Heck, a week after Lewis beat New Town 8-6, Chesapeake beat New Town 34-20. 

That’s all well and good, but they still aren’t top 5 in the county. 

6 hours ago, WilliamHarvey said:

Chesapeake's aggregate record from 2012 to 2016 was 14-36. That pretty much defines an also-ran in my book. Additionally, they were a member of the earlier version of the infamous Developmental League, which speaks for itself. I know they had some success in whatever division they were in in the County from 2007-2011, but the program's all-time playoff record dating back to 1984 is an unflattering 2-9. Most of those losses were blowouts, and they've never made it out of their region. Chesapeake had mostly horrendous teams from the early 1990's to the early 2000's. I recall that in 1997, the year Hereford won its first state championship, Chesapeake went 0-10 and scored one TD all season...on a kickoff return. Not one offensive score in 10 games!

Getting back to 2017, I think Chesapeake has a very good chance of beating Lewis if they happen to face them. Lewis doesn't play anybody, and like you pointed out, the Bayhawks beat New Town by two TD's, while Lewis only beat them by two points. If Chesapeake runs into Dunbar, look out! Dunbar will beat them with a running clock. Lewis too, for that matter.

10 hours ago, BmoreBall said:

I can't believe it looks like Woodlawn and Towson will steal the 3 and 4 seeds in the 3A north this year after playing in the division 3. Milford and Franklin will basically have bye weeks in the first round of the playoffs and then meet in the regional final

If this does indeed happen, the coaches and AD's should petition the County to dissolve the Developmental League ASAP. Don't wait until next fall, when reclassification occurs. Woodlawn and Towson make the playoffs, while Parkville and Dundalk do not. This kind of atrocity should not be allowed to happen more than once. The current Divisions 2 and 3 could be reconfigured as follows:

2A-3A: Eastern Tech, Hereford, New Town, Owings Mills, Lansdowne, Patapsco, Towson, Woodlawn.

1A: Chesapeake, Loch Raven, Overlea, Pikesville, Randallstown, Sparrows Point, Western.

I think that would be a good setup for both divisions. That way at least Lansdowne, Patapsco, Towson and Woodlawn (3A) schools, don't play any 1A schools unless they're scheduled by the individual schools. However, Baltimore County runs it's football schedule on a 2 year cycle, so there may be no way for the schedules to get changed for next season being it is year one in this schedule rotation. 

I think that’s why Operations said to petition the county, in order to get it changed before it’s actually time to change it. I fully agree. Even if Woodlawn doesn’t get in, the fact that Towson will and Woodlawn was even close is reason enough. I also believe that if they can get it changed the “crossover” games should be done away with also. Give D1 and D2 3 open dates and D3 4 open dates. If they choose to play in-County let it be their choice. 

Well I think everyone is about to find out today that Towson WILL NOT be in the playoffs. Word on the street is they are definitely getting stripped of 4 wins for using an ineligible player - as discussed on here last week - and those forfeits should be reflected in the new playoff point standings. That means whoever they beat in those 1st 5 weeks will now be awarded the victory and the win points. Could change someones fate for sure. For the record, Dundalk does not deserve to be in the playoffs- not sure who benefits by Towson dropping out but if it's them, the system is still broken. What we dont know regarding the Towson situation is....who dropped the ball and failed those players who have done a nice job of turning around what is usually a dreary time of year on the gridiron. Those kids deserve an explanation from someone.

I agree with you HY3:13, although they had an ineligible players the kids don't deserve that, they've had a great year. However, I remember reading when the dad was on the boards that his kid played Perry Hall rec football and ended up at Towson high school... I don't know many kids who play rec football 25 minutes away from where they live. Either way, I still feel bad for the young man, he's only in 10th grade I hope he lands somewhere fine and can still pursue his college football aspirations. 

Curiously, the official MPSSAA points have been delayed for a day this week - they've come out every Monday this season until now.

If Towson forfeits 4 games, the big winner will be Chesapeake-AA who would move into a playoff position replacing the big loser Northeast.

Edited by JustMyThought