cprenegade

Lack of identity and direction could force sweeping changes

201 posts in this topic

43 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

First off, you're assuming a great many things about what I believe, and making some claims about what I wrote that aren't true. Ozzie did well to draft the guys that won a pair of Superbowls it means little years later. Many of those men are gone now, retired or with other teams. The past is good for the trophy case. Past success is an argument for trusting Ozzie's judgement, but only to a point. The 2017 Ravens have an excellent pass defense, a mediocre rush defense, and a terrible offense this year. Except for Collins, they've had little ground success and less air success. Let's not sugar coat anything by calling that unit average. It isn't. The problems with the O-line and receiving corps are partially due to injuries, which no one can predict, and partially because Ozzie chose not to do anything serious about it in the off season despite having a relatively immobile QB who needs protection for his plays to develop. With the exception of Torrey Smith (who they allowed to leave), Ozzie has whiffed every single time he has selected a receiver. He can't do it. He's had better luck trading for them, but then he lets them walk away (Boldin) when they could still help Joe succeed. Ozzie has made many successful moves but he has failed, too. I don't worship him the way some fans do. That's the sum of my message here. You call Pittsburgh average and the Ravens great (D) and average (O). I ask you who is looking up and whom?

Pretty much the way I feel about it as well.  What I don't get is why some people think he should be above any type of critique.  I've argued this for years with friends of mine and all I get back is the inevitable, "If you think you know more than him why don't you apply for the job?"  That's stupid.  I never said that.  I never even said he sucked or anything near that.  I merely have pointed out that he has failed in some areas.  To some that is the equivalent of insulting their mother.  I don't get why Ozzie Newsome should be off limits to critiques and opinions.   

5 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

That's a pretty interesting statement considering Pittsburgh currently has a higher ranked defense than the Ravens, both in total defense and in many categories.  Their defense is actually outperforming their high powered offense.  They've done it by letting most of their older players go and replacing them through the draft with young players that are beginning to produce results.  And they had enough money to bring in Joe Haden right before the season started.   I don't know if they have enough to win it all, but they are running away with the AFC North and could be positioned well for the playoffs.  Teams with high powered offenses and no defense usually don't win it all.  But neither anymore do teams with good defenses and terrible offenses.  That's where the Ravens are.  Their offense is bottom of the barrel both statistically and talent wise.  You have to be able to score some points in order to consistently win, and they haven't demonstrated that ability for a few years now.  That's on the FO.  It's their job to draft the talent to at least make the team a viable offense.  The FO was great in assembling two super bowl runs during the Ray Lewis era, both times bringing in key FA's or trading for key players to put them over the top among the competition.   But in the post Ray Lewis era, the FO has not been quite as efficient, especially on the offensive side of the ball.  

How about giving him a few years? I just don’t think firing your coaching staff and front office every few years because they haven’t won a Super Bowl for five years would build a very stable organization. In your world, maybe, but definitely not in my world 

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

First off, you're assuming a great many things about what I believe, and making some claims about what I wrote that aren't true. Ozzie did well to draft the guys that won a pair of Superbowls it means little years later. Many of those men are gone now, retired or with other teams. The past is good for the trophy case. Past success is an argument for trusting Ozzie's judgement, but only to a point. The 2017 Ravens have an excellent pass defense, a mediocre rush defense, and a terrible offense this year. Except for Collins, they've had little ground success and less air success. Let's not sugar coat anything by calling that unit average. It isn't. The problems with the O-line and receiving corps are partially due to injuries, which no one can predict, and partially because Ozzie chose not to do anything serious about it in the off season despite having a relatively immobile QB who needs protection for his plays to develop. With the exception of Torrey Smith (who they allowed to leave), Ozzie has whiffed every single time he has selected a receiver. He can't do it. He's had better luck trading for them, but then he lets them walk away (Boldin) when they could still help Joe succeed. Ozzie has made many successful moves but he has failed, too. I don't worship him the way some fans do. That's the sum of my message here. You call Pittsburgh average and the Ravens great (D) and average (O). I ask you who is looking up and whom?

What makes you think that Ozzie did not address the offensive line? Please tell me where the weakness is in the starting lineup here- LT Stanley, LG Alex Lewis C Jensen, RG Yanda and RT Howard. Seriously. Where is the terrible holes you speak of? Don’t say you never said that because I can quote you if you wish. Ozzie put out a good line for 2017. Some of you guys want to complain about stuff just to complain. I mean a few of you guys were complaining about Jensen. Jensen was rated as the third best center in the league. I think he has fallen to 4th now but that is good. Why was he complaining about him? I’m sure he was just complaining just to complain. I guess you could complain because he isn’t rated first but that’s just silly. Yes, this team hasn’t won a Super Bowl in 5 years. Ozzie is to blame. Injuries are to blame. Should Ozzie be fired because it’s been five years without a Super Bowl? That’s absurd. We haven’t been in the playoffs in a few years now. Is the team allowed to rebuild? If not then why not? I think this was the year that got us back in the playoffs and to compete for a Super Bowl but injuries took us off the grid unfortunately. 

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

You say Ozzie has missed. What is your point? Is it that he shouldn’t miss? Every GM misses. It is impossible not to miss. The problem here is you and Renegade seem to complain about Ozzie a lot but then you guys act like “Oh I don’t want him fired”. Well what is your point? It seems with you it is that he misses. That’s like me complaining about Julio Jones all the time because he has dropped passes before. Then when someone tells me Julio is one of the best, I say that I don’t worship the ground Julio walks on. Every receiver drops passes and every GM misses. Renegade is just all over the place. He complains, complains and complains about Ozzie and then says “I think he does a good job. He shouldn’t be fired” I don’t get that dude

42 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

You say Ozzie has missed. What is your point? Is it that he shouldn’t miss? Every GM misses. It is impossible not to miss. The problem here is you and Renegade seem to complain about Ozzie a lot but then you guys act like “Oh I don’t want him fired”. Well what is your point? It seems with you it is that he misses. That’s like me complaining about Julio Jones all the time because he has dropped passes before. Then when someone tells me Julio is one of the best, I say that I don’t worship the ground Julio walks on. Every receiver drops passes and every GM misses. Renegade is just all over the place. He complains, complains and complains about Ozzie and then says “I think he does a good job. He shouldn’t be fired” I don’t get that dude

My point is exactly what I said: I don't regard his job performance as unimpeachable. I don't know how to state it in a way you'll understand if you can't understand that. The specific case of wide receivers: he has never drafted a good, game changer in that role. He simply can't do it. As regards this year's O-line, there was no depth. Given the rate at which this team loses men to injuries, that's not good.

1 hour ago, RavingManiac said:

Maybe you don't get me because you take any critique of anyone associated with the Raven's organization outside of Joe Flacco as a personal insult.  Show me the post where I said what you quoted.  You can't because it isn't there.  I give Ozzie his due, but I'm also going to call him out when I think he's failed in an area.  You want to blame every single problem the Raven's have on Flacco, yet you totally ignore that he has been given mostly old retreads and young talent that doesn't develop to work with.  I'll admit that Flacco isn't a top tier QB, but his resume has a super bowl win and mvp award on it.  Give him some talent instead of the garbage that has been provided the last 5 years and maybe the guy might be able to do something with it.  It's not only me, it's been stated on the NFL broadcasts, and by the local "homers" on the radio.   Perhaps that is something the FO might be able to do.  It is their job.  I guess we will just agree to disagree.  It's not so much that Ozzie misses, as you said every GM misses.  It's that he keeps missing in the same areas.  After a while, you have to address why the same issues keep showing themselves year after year.  

6 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Maybe you don't get me because you take any critique of anyone associated with the Raven's organization outside of Joe Flacco as a personal insult.  Show me the post where I said what you quoted.  You can't because it isn't there.  I give Ozzie his due, but I'm also going to call him out when I think he's failed in an area.  You want to blame every single problem the Raven's have on Flacco, yet you totally ignore that he has been given mostly old retreads and young talent that doesn't develop to work with.  I'll admit that Flacco isn't a top tier QB, but his resume has a super bowl win and mvp award on it.  Give him some talent instead of the garbage that has been provided the last 5 years and maybe the guy might be able to do something with it.  It's not only me, it's been stated on the NFL broadcasts, and by the local "homers" on the radio.   Perhaps that is something the FO might be able to do.  It is their job.  I guess we will just agree to disagree.  It's not so much that Ozzie misses, as you said every GM misses.  It's that he keeps missing in the same areas.  After a while, you have to address why the same issues keep showing themselves year after year.  

There you go again with the "If someone criticizes Ozzie, you take it as a personal insult" or the 'I don't worship ozzie like you do" stuff. I think Ozzie is one of the best in the business. You complain about him almost everyday so what are people supposed to think? Are we to think that you believe he is a good GM? Of course not. We believe you think he sucks and should be fired. Why do we think that? Because you complain about him so much. It's only natural to think that. Do you think he needs to be replaced? Do you think he is a good GM?

7 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

My point is exactly what I said: I don't regard his job performance as unimpeachable. I don't know how to state it in a way you'll understand if you can't understand that. The specific case of wide receivers: he has never drafted a good, game changer in that role. He simply can't do it. As regards this year's O-line, there was no depth. Given the rate at which this team loses men to injuries, that's not good.

It's an opinion about the depth of the O-line because of all the injuries but I think we will see next year how good the oline is with all the starters. You never answered my question though and I'm curious about your opinion. Do you think Ozzie did a good job with the starting offensive line this year? Forget depth for a moment. With the players that I named as the starters in my previous post to you, do you think that was going to be a good or even decent offensive line?

I keep hearing all this "what have you done in five years talk", yet it was twelve years after the Ravens first Superbowl that they won their second.

I hate to break it to the "Blow the sucker up" crowd, but Ozzie isn't leaving until Ozzie decides to leave. 

As much as people try to minimize it, injuries DO matter, and this team is decimated by them, particularly on both lines.  That is the key - the lines.  It ALL starts with the lines. 

Biscotti isn't going to make changes unless something else changes, like Harbaugh loses the team.  Aside from the (league wide) apathy during the anthem follies, the Ravens have played hard.  They simply just don't have the talent on the field at the moment, thanks to a large chunk of it and what was expected to be there sitting on IR. 

Edited by alienrace

5 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

It's an opinion about the depth of the O-line because of all the injuries but I think we will see next year how good the oline is with all the starters. You never answered my question though and I'm curious about your opinion. Do you think Ozzie did a good job with the starting offensive line this year? Forget depth for a moment. With the players that I named as the starters in my previous post to you, do you think that was going to be a good or even decent offensive line?

Lewis and Jensen were question marks at the beginning of the year. Maybe Howard, too. Stanley is good, and of course Yanda. We still don't know, and won't til next year, what Lewis is. Jensen has been a pleasant surprise to me. But the offensive line has not performed well. Joe has very little time to develop passes. They do better on run blocking (until last week, when the good running back was effectively neutralized). I think overall they're mediocre. I'd give him a B- or a C for this year, but a better grade over time.

Depth matters to me. When Williams went down the defense became substantially worse. When Yanda went down the offensive line became substantially worse. I don't think you can dismiss depth when evaluating a front office - unless you contend that the coaching needs to figure out how to adapt to men of less talent; maybe they do - I don't know.

58 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Lewis and Jensen were question marks at the beginning of the year. Maybe Howard, too. Stanley is good, and of course Yanda. We still don't know, and won't til next year, what Lewis is. Jensen has been a pleasant surprise to me. But the offensive line has not performed well. Joe has very little time to develop passes. They do better on run blocking (until last week, when the good running back was effectively neutralized). I think overall they're mediocre. I'd give him a B- or a C for this year, but a better grade over time.

Depth matters to me. When Williams went down the defense became substantially worse. When Yanda went down the offensive line became substantially worse. I don't think you can dismiss depth when evaluating a front office - unless you contend that the coaching needs to figure out how to adapt to men of less talent; maybe they do - I don't know.

Why do you think Lewis is a question mark? Jensen was definitely a question mark and a pleasant surprise to everyone not named OCF.  I agree about depth but I believe we had nice depth as well before Urschel retired the day before training camp, before Yanda went down, before Siragusa went down and before Lewis went down. I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody else. You can only have so much depth at one position before you start hurting depth in other areas. I am curious on why you think Lewis was a question mark though.

I would draft Zeus 2.0 He's on Kiper's Big Board at #14.

Mel Kiper's Big Board: Ranking top 2018 prospects

Orlando Brown Jr. 

6' 8" 340 lbs 

Offensive Lineman, Oklahoma

I wrote about Brown earlier this season, when the 6-foot-8, 345-pound left tackle was outstanding in the Sooners' win at Ohio State. He helped protect OU quarterback Baker Mayfield from a defense that is loaded with future NFL talent. Brown is nimble for a big man, getting to the second level with ease. He has great feet and can slide easily outside to pick up blitzing linebackers. Don't worry about Brown having to move to the right side in the NFL. I think he's a left tackle all the way. 

or

#13 Mike McGlinchey, OT, Notre Dame

6' 8" 315 lbs

You might remember McGlinchey from my preseason Big Board last season. He decided to remain in school for his senior year. McGlinchey is a massive athlete (6-foot-8, 315 pounds) who looks like a tight end with pads on. He was dominant from the left side in the rout of USC last month. He plays with solid technique, and he can get to the second level for combo blocks, all while driving defenders off the ball in the run game. He played right tackle in 2015, then replaced first-round pick Ronnie Stanley on the left side last season, and he has stayed at left tackle in 2017. The versatility will help him in the NFL, where I think he's a lock for the first round in 2018.

2 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

Why do you think Lewis is a question mark? Jensen was definitely a question mark and a pleasant surprise to everyone not named OCF.  I agree about depth but I believe we had nice depth as well before Urschel retired the day before training camp, before Yanda went down, before Siragusa went down and before Lewis went down. I'm sure I'm forgetting somebody else. You can only have so much depth at one position before you start hurting depth in other areas. I am curious on why you think Lewis was a question mark though.

Lewis: Because I haven't seen him play enough. Shoulder season ender this year. Ankle or knee (forget which) last year - he might not be healthy enough to withstand pro football.

Edited by Evil Yoda

7 hours ago, alienrace said:

I keep hearing all this "what have you done in five years talk", yet it was twelve years after the Ravens first Superbowl that they won their second.

I hate to break it to the "Blow the sucker up" crowd, but Ozzie isn't leaving until Ozzie decides to leave. 

As much as people try to minimize it, injuries DO matter, and this team is decimated by them, particularly on both lines.  That is the key - the lines.  It ALL starts with the lines. 

Biscotti isn't going to make changes unless something else changes, like Harbaugh loses the team.  Aside from the (league wide) apathy during the anthem follies, the Ravens have played hard.  They simply just don't have the talent on the field at the moment, thanks to a large chunk of it and what was expected to be there sitting on IR. 

Exactly why I said Harbs will be back next year. And rightfully so in my opinion. If you took away three starting O lineman from any team in the league you would see an effect. There's no two ways about that. My only issue with Harbs at this point, is he's not making adjustments to improve the offense with that in mind. He's stuck with Flacco, but MM's playbook is obviously not working for Flacco's skill set or the current healthy personnel. Harbs at this point  needs to tell MM to make some adjustments or cut him loose and replace him. 

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Exactly why I said Harbs will be back next year. And rightfully so in my opinion. If you took away three starting O lineman from any team in the league you would see an effect. There's no two ways about that. My only issue with Harbs at this point, is he's not making adjustments to improve the offense with that in mind. He's stuck with Flacco, but MM's playbook is obviously not working for Flacco's skill set or the current healthy personnel. Harbs at this point  needs to tell MM to make some adjustments or cut him loose and replace him. 

Well said.

12 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I look at it like this and tell me where you think I’m wrong. You see the offense sucks. I see the offense sucks. We both see Flacco sucks this year. For the sake of argument, let’s just say Harbaugh is stupid and he thinks the offense is doing just fine. Well Marty isn’t stupid. He sees the offense sucks. He sees Flacco sucks every week. Don’t you think he is making adjustments every week and they just aren’t working? A lot of us like to think that Marty refuses to adjust. That’s silly thinking. What would be the point of that? His ego? That’s silly thinking as well because that way of thinking will get you fired. Don’t you think Oz would step in and question why Marty isn’t adjusting so Flacco can play well again? Wouldn’t Bisciotti step in and just ask out of curiosity why the offense is so bad? I’m not saying Bisciotti would make the call to fire him because he is a hands off owner but I’m just saying just call up Ozzie and ask him what is up with the offense. Wouldn’t Ozzie tell him Marty refuses to change because of his ego? I just can’t buy into the “Marty refuses to change” philosophy. I think Marty makes adjustments and nothing is working. I think Bisciotti has made that call to Ozzie and Harbaugh. I think it’s more likely  that they explained to Bisciotti where the problem lies and what adjustments have been made but nothing is working.  Marty sees Flacco played very well against the Raiders. Did Flacco play well against the Raiders because Marty made some adjustments that game or did Flacco just decide to play well? I just try to use the common sense way of thinking. It doesn’t make sense that Marty refuses to change. That would kill his career in the NFL plain and simple. Even if Marty refused to adjust, why would Harbaugh allow him to still be here? Because Harbaugh is too loyal? Ok, why would Ozzie allow it? I mean when Bisciotti asks the questions and Ozzie says “we could instantly be better on offense if Marty just adjusts to better suit Flacco’s skills”. What do you think Bisciottis next question would be? It would be “ ok, why don’t we do that?” Ozzie then would say “Well because Marty refuses to change” Does that sound like a likely scenario? It does not sound like a likely scenario to me. Bisciotti said last year that Flacco has to play better. Why did he say that? I think he said it because Flacco played poorly last year and he is playing poorly this year. If the quarterback is playing poorly, there are only so many adjustments you can make and then it becomes up to the quarterback to play better. This reminds of Jay Gruden talking about RG3. Jay said I’ve made all the adjustments that I can make. Nothing works. 

This wasn’t all directed at you Ken. 

I think the The Super Bowl factor played into the Ravens for other reasons. Remember the hell that broke loose with Dilfer leaving after 2000? The Ravens wanted to avoid the same bad PR after 2012. Imagine too if a QB carousel started and Flacco built off his brilliant post season with a new team? The anger and frustration among fans would boil over.

6 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

I look at it like this and tell me where you think I’m wrong. You see the offense sucks. I see the offense sucks. We both see Flacco sucks this year. For the sake of argument, let’s just say Harbaugh is stupid and he thinks the offense is doing just fine. Well Marty isn’t stupid. He sees the offense sucks. He sees Flacco sucks every week. Don’t you think he is making adjustments every week and they just aren’t working? A lot of us like to think that Marty refuses to adjust. That’s silly thinking. What would be the point of that? His ego? That’s silly thinking as well because that way of thinking will get you fired. Don’t you think Oz would step in and question why Marty isn’t adjusting so Flacco can play well again? Wouldn’t Bisciotti step in and just ask out of curiosity why the offense is so bad? I’m not saying Bisciotti would make the call to fire him because he is a hands off owner but I’m just saying just call up Ozzie and ask him what is up with the offense. Wouldn’t Ozzie tell him Marty refuses to change because of his ego? I just can’t buy into the “Marty refuses to change” philosophy. I think Marty makes adjustments and nothing is working. I think Bisciotti has made that call to Ozzie and Harbaugh. I think it’s more likely  that they explained to Bisciotti where the problem lies and what adjustments have been made but nothing is working.  Marty sees Flacco played very well against the Raiders. Did Flacco play well against the Raiders because Marty made some adjustments that game or did Flacco just decide to play well? I just try to use the common sense way of thinking. It doesn’t make sense that Marty refuses to change. That would kill his career in the NFL plain and simple. Even if Marty refused to adjust, why would Harbaugh allow him to still be here? Because Harbaugh is too loyal? Ok, why would Ozzie allow it? I mean when Bisciotti asks the questions and Ozzie says “we could instantly be better on offense if Marty just adjusts to better suit Flacco’s skills”. What do you think Bisciottis next question would be? It would be “ ok, why don’t we do that?” Ozzie then would say “Well because Marty refuses to change” Does that sound like a likely scenario? It does not sound like a likely scenario to me. Bisciotti said last year that Flacco has to play better. Why did he say that? I think he said it because Flacco played poorly last year and he is playing poorly this year. If the quarterback is playing poorly, there are only so many adjustments you can make and then it becomes up to the quarterback to play better. This reminds of Jay Gruden talking about RG3. Jay said I’ve made all the adjustments that I can make. Nothing works. 

This wasn’t all directed at you Ken. 

What adjustments have you seen? How often do we see a screen? How often do we see a crossing route? How often do you see a bubble screen? now the inverse of that, how often do you see a dump off to Allen or a 4 yard pass to Watson when they need 8? Maybe you see something I don't see. 

Edited by bmore_ken

On 11/11/2017 at 5:41 PM, bmore_ken said:

It's actually not Harbs I have a real problem with. It's MM and DP. But Bis seems uninterested in telling Harbs they have to go, or he was last year. So I advocate for Harbs' firing to lose them. Harbs really isn't very good at hiring coordinators recently, IMO.

Edited by Evil Yoda

One coach who is certain to be unemployed is Ben McAdoo following the G'ints loss to previously winless San Francisco. 

16 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

It's actually not Harbs I have a real problem with. It's MM and DP. But Bis seems uninterested in telling Harbs they have to go, or he was last year. So I advocate for Harbs' firing to lose them. Harbs really isn't very good at hiring coordinators recently, IMO.

He keeps hiring friends and friends of friends. They all have experience but they don't adjust to the new NFL.

Kubiak was an outsider who brought in his own people.

23 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

What adjustments have you seen? How often do we see a screen? How often do we see a crossing route? How often do you see a bubble screen? now the inverse of that, how often do you see a dump off to Allen or a 4 yard pass to Watson when they need 8? Maybe you see something I don't see. 

Those are good points. Why do you think the plays you mentioned are not used? Do you think MM just doesn't know how to design them or maybe he just hasn't thought of using them? I don't know why he doesn't use them but I'm curious what you think. OCF used to think Cam Cameron did not understand how to design a crossing route. I think that's silly to think that. A crossing route is such a basic play and to think that an NFL coordinator who has many years of experience in NFL and college and to think he does not know how to design such a basic play is crazy. My guess is these plays are not implemented because they do not work for whatever reason. Maybe Flacco has trouble throwing in the middle of the field or defenses tend to take it away. I don't know but it is telling that multiple coordinators don't use crossing routes here.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:20 PM, Manny said:

I think the The Super Bowl factor played into the Ravens for other reasons. Remember the hell that broke loose with Dilfer leaving after 2000? The Ravens wanted to avoid the same bad PR after 2012. Imagine too if a QB carousel started and Flacco built off his brilliant post season with a new team? The anger and frustration among fans would boil over.

It would have been a PR nightmare. There would have been only two teams in the history of the NFL that let their qb go after winning the Super Bowl and they would have been the 2000 ravens and 2012 ravens

Flacco, who has thrown for eight touchdowns in nine games, will face much softer defenses the rest of the way. Four of the final seven defenses on Baltimore's schedule rank 20th or worse. Flacco will go against only two pass defenses ranked in the top half of the league (Pittsburgh and Cincinnati). This will help Flacco salvage what has been a tough and painful season. -- Jamison Hensley

2 hours ago, Rob said:

Flacco, who has thrown for eight touchdowns in nine games, will face much softer defenses the rest of the way. Four of the final seven defenses on Baltimore's schedule rank 20th or worse. Flacco will go against only two pass defenses ranked in the top half of the league (Pittsburgh and Cincinnati). This will help Flacco salvage what has been a tough and painful season. -- Jamison Hensley

Won't matter if the line cannot block, and receivers keep dropping passes, or worse, popping them up into the air for int's.