Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Baltimore transportation supervisor Daryl Wade charged in federal extortion case

31 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/baltimore-city/bs-md-daryl-wade-bribery-charges-20171025-story.html#nt=oft13a-1gp1

Federal authorities have charged a supervisor in the Baltimore Department of Transportation over an alleged extortion plot involving construction permits.

The supervisor, Daryl Christopher Wade, 50, is accused of accepting $5,000 from an FBI informant in exchange for wiping out $17,000 of fines the informant’s company had incurred.

We in cahoots now,” Wade said after receiving the payment, according to court documents.

In addition to working at the transportation department, Wade took over as the head football coach at City College in 2015. He is the son of Bob Wade, former NFL player, University of Maryland basketball coach and longtime city schools athletic director.

…A female employee in the city’s accounting office helped Wade wipe out the $17,000 in fines, according to the complaint. Her status was not immediately clear.

This, from the city bureaucracy that can’t straighten out the mess with their water billing mistakes.

Little wonder they don’t want an outside audit.  Difficult to believe that it just involves a supervisor in one department and an employee in the city’s accounting office. 

Sounds like they might want to go over those books again and check the oversight in the city’s accounting office if someone was able to wipe out that much in fines without someone in a supervisory position there questioning and reviewing all cancellations of fines on the city’s books. 

The comment about avoiding audits is spot on across the board in BC. No one in goooberment wants it revealed that they are clueless or on the take, or etc.  and screwing the public. Be it water or schools.

Regading water.....good Op-ed today in Sun....yes they do sometimes print them .....like the blind pig find a truffle. regarding water bills.

Seems it is still really screwed up. Interestingly, the stadiums owed a lot....and a lien was placed for sale. ...however...since it is state property...well guess....they got a free pass.

However, those around that area are having their homes sold right from under their feet. That is the law. :huh:

Now here is the question I have; lets say audits are done, the water bill screw ups unraveled....and guess what.....THOSE THAT HAD THE HOUSES SOLD WERE RIGHT....THE BILLS WERE SCREWED UP. Ok, now what, is the city going to 'give back' the homes? Are they going to financially compensate those that lost their homes? Are they going to find and settle them into equivalent homes....free of charge?

Answers, No, No and No. They maybe luck to get a 'our bad....have a nice day' at best.

The former City College football coach. It will make this weeks rivalry game a bit more spirited. 

13 hours ago, Gertrude said:

Is he related to the guy that was a prominent basketball coach?

In addition to working at the transportation department, Wade took over as the head football coach at City College in 2015. He is the son of Bob Wade, former NFL player, University of Maryland basketball coach and longtime city schools athletic director.

11 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

I sure hope (doubt) that Morgan State will investigate this guy. 

3 hours ago, Dinglehopper said:

I sure hope (doubt) that Morgan State will investigate this guy. 

I think Morgan investigating him is the least of his worries at this point. :lol:

But I am sure ...that for obvious reasons...the state will investigate....spend lots of money....result.....'meh'.

4 hours ago, Guido2 said:

I think Morgan investigating him is the least of his worries at this point. :lol:

But I am sure ...that for obvious reasons...the state will investigate....spend lots of money....result.....'meh'.

The NCAA will be sniffing around.

38 minutes ago, Dinglehopper said:

No doubt.

Daryl Wade suspended as City football coach; assistant to take over

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/high-school/bs-va-sp-daryl-wade-suspended-1027-story.html#nt=oft06a-2li2

Daryl Wade has been suspended from coaching the City football team after being charged earlier this week in an alleged bribery plot in his job as a supervisor in the Baltimore Department of Transportation.

…Wade, 50, is charged with taking $5,000 from an FBI informant in return for making $17,000 worth of fines imposed on the informant’s company go away. He has worked for the city since 1988.

I doubt we'll hear a follow-up by The Sun about that other employee who was involved seemingly also in cahoots and wiped those fines off the books or who was supposed to review such transactions somewhere in the city's review structure.  I doubt this is the first time it's happened.  This is just one time they got caught.

On 10/27/2017 at 6:30 PM, Dinglehopper said:

I don’t know how or why I miss read this to think the younger Wade was a Morgan Coach.  Good for Baltimore and City College to cut ties.

https://www.baltimorebrew.com/2018/03/16/dot-employee-and-city-college-coach-admits-to-extortion/

In a third instance, Stephens approached “Person A,” the vice president of a Virginia-based sewer company, saying it would be receiving $1.3 million in street-cut fines from the city.

“This was the first that Person A had learned of the $1.3 million in perspective [sic] fines. Stephens then said he had a connection in the street-cuts unit that could reduce the $1.3 million in fines by 80% to $260,000, if Person A paid 20%, a $52,000 bribe, to Stephen’s connection,” according to the criminal statement.The extortion attempt – replete with the dictum that “you gotta pay to play” in Baltimore – did not go over well.  “Person A made clear,” the statement says, “that he was not interested in paying the $52,000 bribe and would sue the City of Baltimore over the fines, if necessary.”

On 10/25/2017 at 11:13 PM, Buford said:

We in cahoots now,”   = Gittin' Ova !

The Democratic way of life in Baltimore! SMH

31 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

The Democratic way of life in Baltimore! SMH

Are you saying that Democrats are more prone to criminality than Republicans, or that Democracy itself leads to crime. 

22 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

Are you saying that Democrats are more prone to criminality than Republicans, or that Democracy itself leads to crime. 

I am not sure what he was implied.  My take, which is just that, my take.  Is that when the city democrats seem more impressed with a candidates skin color rather than the content of his character.  You tend to end up with these disasters.

4 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

I am not sure what he was implied.  My take, which is just that, my take.  Is that when the city democrats seem more impressed with a candidates skin color rather than the content of his character.  You tend to end up with these disasters.

What happens when most, or all, of the candidates are black as is often the case in Baltimore? Do they just use the eeny miny moe method?

28 minutes ago, sparky1 said:

No, I'm saying that Baltimore City Gov't (on all levels) is primarily (if not all) democratic and are more prone to corruptive behavior. Democratic "leadership" has failed Baltimore for the last 50 years (I say longer). Don't you see any disparities? 

53 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

OOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh shxt.....now you done it....you slapped down the race card.

I am making popcorn. 

3 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

OOOOOhhhhhhhhhhh shxt.....now you done it....you slapped down the race card.

I am making popcorn. 

It's a flawed argument to begin with when most of the candidates in Bmore, especially democrat, are black.

I am awaiting a response.

44 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

No, I'm saying that Baltimore City Gov't (on all levels) is primarily (if not all) democratic and are more prone to corruptive behavior. Democratic "leadership" has failed Baltimore for the last 50 years (I say longer). Don't you see any disparities? 

And if you replaced the word democrate with republican in that sentence likely what you suggest would still hold true.

That is what happens when there is a one party city/state .....this allows for a lot of wink wink nod nods at all levels...that if there were a decent balance I am surmising would have been smoked out. 

Just my thoughts. 

2 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

It's a flawed argument to begin with when most of the candidates in Bmore, especially democrat, are black.

Well that argument/debate is between you two.

However, it sounds like you are finally agreeing with me on another topic but I won't derail. 

27 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

I think that race is a very important consideration for many of the Democrat voters in the city, and for elected officials when making appointments.  Baltimore County is the same way when it comes to appointments.  I think Dallas Dance, for example, was too inexperienced despite having his doctorate.  I think race played a very big part in his hiring and also in having his contract extended despite the "mistakes" he made even though those "mistakes" eventually led to his downfall.

3 minutes ago, Ode2Joy said:

I think that race is a very important consideration for many of the Democrat voters in the city, and for elected officials when making appointments.  Baltimore County is the same way when it comes to appointments.  I think Dallas Dance, for example, was too inexperienced despite having his doctorate.  I think race played a very big part in his hiring and also in having his contract extended despite the "mistakes" he made even though those "mistakes" eventually led to his downfall.

How does race matter when choosing between two black candidates? Could it be that black folks actually have brains and can choose between two different candidates based on what they say in debates, or what's on their platform, etc?

1 minute ago, Pickle20 said:

How does race matter when choosing between two black candidates? Could it be that black folks actually have brains and can choose between two different candidates based on what they say in debates, or what's on their platform, etc?

I don't know.  Ask Alan Walden if you're talking about the city.  I'm pretty sure he's not black.