Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ODENTON

20-foot congealed ‘fatberg’ that clogged a Maryland sewer removed

26 posts in this topic

A 20-foot “fatberg” of congealed grease, flushable wipes and other unsavory stuff was removed Monday from a sewer pipe in Baltimore.

The massive clog in a two-foot-wide pipe under Lanvale Street between Charles Street and Maryland Avenue was detected after recent sewage overflows.

Officials lay blame for the blockage on a culprit familiar to civil engineers: flushable wipes. One-hundred-year-old sewer systems built in an age of “nonexistent environmentalism,” Raymond said, are not equipped to handle wipes sometimes marketed as disposable that some say are anything but.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/this-20-foot-congealed-fatberg-that-clogged-a-maryland-sewer-has-been-removed/2017/10/19/a7a45744-b4d9-11e7-add3-da4b781e34b1_story.html?utm_term=.d68274bb8bbf

'flushable wipes'

Edited by ODENTON

the employees who had to clear that thing deserve a raise!

and 'flushable' wipes are the bane of these antiquated sewer systems.  pull these dam things off the shelves

It wasn't only flushable wipes. It was grease, condoms, sanitary products, etc.

Never hurts to flush twice... uses a little more water and may cost you ar little more... but you aren't as likely to have... "The Blob"... 

Funny... it was on TV just a few days ago... and I actually watched it... 

Edited by aboutwell

2 hours ago, yeah said:

and 'flushable' wipes are the bane of these antiquated sewer systems.  pull these dam things off the shelves

:) they probably clear many fatbergs......though maybe not as large as this one.

3 hours ago, yeah said:

Are there no Wal-Mart parking lots in BC?

4 hours ago, Sprightly said:

It wasn't only flushable wipes. It was grease, condoms, sanitary products, etc.

Don't forget baby diapers....I am sure more than a few rocket scientists in BC figured it was easier to flush than dispose of them properly. Yah and maybe Depends also. :lol:

London's 'Monster' fatberg to go on display in museum

It is a slice of a monster fatberg, over 250m (820ft) long, which had been clogging up sewers below Whitechapel.

The museum says it was a congealed concoction of "fat, oil, grease, wet wipes and sanitary products".

The display will show how modern living and high levels of rubbish are putting pressure on the "arteries" of London's Victorian infrastructure.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-42324932

Things to see when visiting London.

On 10/26/2017 at 11:16 AM, Guido2 said:

Don't forget baby diapers....I am sure more than a few rocket scientists in BC figured it was easier to flush than dispose of them properly. Yah and maybe Depends also. :lol:

9 hours ago, ODENTON said:

London's 'Monster' fatberg to go on display in museum

It is a slice of a monster fatberg, over 250m (820ft) long, which had been clogging up sewers below Whitechapel.

The museum says it was a congealed concoction of "fat, oil, grease, wet wipes and sanitary products".

The display will show how modern living and high levels of rubbish are putting pressure on the "arteries" of London's Victorian infrastructure.

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-42324932

Things to see when visiting London.

You mean it's not just a Baltimore City problem?  Say it ain't so! 

On 10/26/2017 at 11:16 AM, Guido2 said:

I didn't see this until today.  Yah thinks that suburbanites. are not guilty of same?

I have no idea why anyone would think that flushing a diaper makes sense.

2 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

You mean it's not just a Baltimore City problem?  Say it ain't so! 

I am sure it is a problem where ever our modern culture exists. ie most any city and the burbs to.

As the years go by ... I have observed that 'book' smarter we get ....the common sense dumber we get. And how fewer and fewer can even do the simplest of household chores  Forget working on the car....anymore that is even getting beyond my scope....well anything beyond my 1986 jeep. That I can fix. :lol:

Edited by Guido2

After 54 years of public W&S, we bought a house on well and septic 3-1/2 years ago. Nothing goes down the commode other than the "3 P's". As in pee, poop and (toilet) paper. Not even facial tissue, as they do not break down rapidly as TP does. "Some" TP. Even that is subject to scrutiny. Quilted TP does not break down as rapidly as other types. And no grease!

The "problem" with public W&S is too many folks think once they pull the handle, it's no longer their concern. 

The town where I live has had a problem with those wet wipes, to the point where it erected temporary signage advising residents not to flush them.

22 hours ago, mlatoman said:

After 54 years of public W&S, we bought a house on well and septic 3-1/2 years ago. Nothing goes down the commode other than the "3 P's". As in pee, poop and (toilet) paper. Not even facial tissue, as they do not break down rapidly as TP does. "Some" TP. Even that is subject to scrutiny. Quilted TP does not break down as rapidly as other types. And no grease!

The "problem" with public W&S is too many folks think once they pull the handle, it's no longer their concern. 

Yea, after living in the city for over 40 years I made that transition a few years back.....

Folks complain about their water bills but replacing well pumps and septic systems isn't cheap either......

Wife still struggles with if it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down ......

We get ours pumped every 2 years ......

Now there's a job, one time dude was eating a sandwich while standing over the tank and the hose.....

Wife was freaking but hey, ya gotta eat.....

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:46 AM, Sprightly said:

I didn't see this until today.  Yah thinks that suburbanites. are not guilty of same?

I have no idea why anyone would think that flushing a diaper makes sense.

For the same reason that some people toss diapers out their windows in some areas or leave them in parking lots. 

Its those kids in the plumbing commercials flushing stuffed animals that causes it all..........

I learned about drainage issues the hard way...had been putting grease, coffee grinds, peels, etc. down the disposal and it backed up fiercely on me. Nothing worked to unclog it until I tried baking soda and vinegar and amazing it it worked like a charm. Now all that crap goes in the trash where it belongs.

I also had a tree root growing into by sewer line. My laundry sink backed up with raw sewage on Christmas Eve last year. That was fun. The day after Christmas I rented a snake and pulled out a 20 lb mass of tree root, compacted sewage, and other goodies. That was fun. But I haven't had an issue since!

On 12/16/2017 at 10:58 AM, mlatoman said:

OOOOOhhhhhhh like voting.  :lol:

On 10/25/2017 at 8:28 PM, aboutwell said:

"The Blob"

"Governor Grogan"