Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

Orioles approach 2 starting pitchers

60 posts in this topic

Wade Miley and Chris Tillman. One year offers for low dollars. :rolleyes:

Dumpster Dan is well on his way piecing together another horrific pitching staff. :eek:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/10/orioles-rumors-chris-tillman-wade-miley-resign.html

O’s Have Reportedly Reached Out To Tillman, Miley

By Steve Adams | October 30, 2017 at 1:25pm CDT

The Orioles have reached out to impending free agents Chris Tillman and Wade Miley to explore the possibility of retaining them on incentive-laden one-year contracts, reports Eduardo A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun. MASNsports.com’s Roch Kubatko wrote earlier this morning that such an agreement with Miley seems unlikely and suggests that their talks may not have been especially recent. Talks with each free-agent-to-be are characterized as “preliminary” by Encina, if not “procedural.” Still, the Orioles need to add at least two arms this offseason, so even early talks with a pair of potentially outgoing rotation members are at least notable.

Edited by Rob

Wish the O's had made the playoffs just to see how badly they would have been bombed.

12 minutes ago, Dystopia said:

Wish the O's had made the playoffs just to see how badly they would have been bombed.

Every game would've been 14-2. 16-5. 11-1. Regardless of who they were playing.

". . .such an agreement with Miley seems unlikely. . ."

Thank God.

I'd be okay offering Tillman an extremely low base salary with many incentives, for a potential ~$13M if he hits them all. Give him a chance to see if he's really washed up at a low risk. Incentives would include innings pitched, WHIP below some threshold, ERA below a threshold, and suchlike.

I'd also be okay offering Miley an extremely low base salary with many incentives, for a potential ~$0.13 if he hits them all.

I wouldn't bring back Miley, even if he offered to pay the O's to let him be on the team. But that's because I don't have a man crush on him, like DD does.

Why aren't they already talking to UJ? 

The reshaping of the pitching staff is already off to a very ugly start if your firs order of business is trying to bring back these two turds.   The lackeys at MASN are already beating the drum that Cobb is too expensive.  So they are pushing the likes of Cashner and Vargas.  That's just great.  Thanks Pete you moron.

I would be OK with Vargas on a 2 year deal as a 4th or 5th starter replacing Miley.    Probably would have to over pay to eve get him.

12 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I'd be okay offering Tillman an extremely low base salary with many incentives, for a potential ~$13M if he hits them all. Give him a chance to see if he's really washed up at a low risk. Incentives would include innings pitched, WHIP below some threshold, ERA below a threshold, and suchlike.

I'd also be okay offering Miley an extremely low base salary with many incentives, for a potential ~$0.13 if he hits them all.

^this^

3 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

The reshaping of the pitching staff is already off to a very ugly start if your firs order of business is trying to bring back these two turds.   The lackeys at MASN are already beating the drum that Cobb is too expensive.  So they are pushing the likes of Cashner and Vargas.  That's just great.  Thanks Pete you moron.

I would be OK with Vargas on a 2 year deal as a 4th or 5th starter replacing Miley.    Probably would have to over pay to eve get him.

Who would be 3 & 4 ahead of Vargas as a 5?  Bundy would be the clear #1, and Gausman/Vargas would be 2/3 or 3/2.

24 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Buck's working that contract personally.

14 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

Who would be 3 & 4 ahead of Vargas as a 5?  Bundy would be the clear #1, and Gausman/Vargas would be 2/3 or 3/2.

Bundy, Cobb, Gausman, Vargas, Ynoa.   If you pay Cobb and Vargas you will need a cheapo at 5.   Look at the teams that went deep into the playoffs.  They had big time first two starters.  

42 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Probably because they already have the framework of an agreement in place... they'll just wait a while before they make it official.

Tillman posted a 1.25 WHIP and a 3.81 ERA over the 5 previous seasons before last year.  That gives him another chance in my opinion.  Doesn't justify Buck running him out way too much despite poor performance, but in the big picture, that justifies giving him a shot to regain past form.

Miley... they should pay his buyout, and then give him a nice signing bonus if he manages to ink a deal with another AL East team.  Hell, if it's BOS or NYY, pay the entire contract FOR them.

Edited by Ravens2006

I saw Dave Johnson on MASN say he would take Gonzo back over either Miley or Tilly.  Neither could throw strikes last year he noted ad both were supposedly healthy.  Reading between lines he thinks Tilly is washed up.  I tend to agree.

This thread title is false!!!

Starting pitchers are usually still around by the 4th inning!!

When it comes to Miley, just say NO!  That is, unless you want to alienate your fan base even more.

FWIW, Rick Dempsey believes Tillman's arm strength was severely lacking due to his injury over the last winter.  Based on that assessment and his overall pitching, I'd not object to an incentive laden contract.  

If they bring back Jimenez I will not watch a single game.

16 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I think money is better spent on free agents. There's a lot available this offseason better than both of them. This is the O's though, so what you're suggesting is what  will probably happen. 

34 minutes ago, Dystopia said:

If they bring back Jimenez I will not watch a single game.

That makes two of us. I sort of tuned out in the second half as it was because they kept throwing him out there.

Edited by bmore_ken

51 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I think money is better spent on free agents. There's a lot available this offseason better than both of them. This is the O's though, so what you're suggesting is what  will probably happen. 

I tend to agree.  Tough call though.

You have to love the O's putting out the word through MASN that Cobb is too expensive before he even hits the market.  This team is pathetic when it comes to starting pitching. Just a disgrace.

5 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

Tillman posted a 1.25 WHIP and a 3.81 ERA over the 5 previous seasons before last year.  That gives him another chance in my opinion.  Doesn't justify Buck running him out way too much despite poor performance, but in the big picture, that justifies giving him a shot to regain past form.

Miley... they should pay his buyout, and then give him a nice signing bonus if he manages to ink a deal with another AL East team.  Hell, if it's BOS or NYY, pay the entire contract FOR them.

You know I could buy this argument if the O's had any track record of fixing pitchers.  Tillman got worse as the year went on not better.  If I was him, I'd be heading to KC or maybe SD on a pillow deal.  Big ball parks and a different pitching coach.