Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnpolitics

Pats trade Jimmy G to 49ers for....

53 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

The Pats need a back up QB, lets sent Mallett back to them!

They're too smart for that.  They had him once.  They know what he is. 

Good trade for the Pats.  The rich get richer.  Their first round pick will likely be somewhere between 26 and 32, and now they also have a pick that will likely either be 33 or 34.  

That trade makes no sense for the 49ers. They're 0-8 and he's a UFA after the season and the qb tag number is like $21M if they can't sign him to an extension. I don't get it.

As the article pointed out, this trade likely means one less potential suitor for Kirk Cousins.

Good trade for the Pats. Garoppolo, as another poster pointed out, is a free agent after this season and it certainly wouldn't make sense for New England to shell out big money for him to remain Brady's caddie. I guess this trade also signals that Brady isn't planning on retiring after this season.

2 hours ago, cprenegade said:

They're too smart for that.  They had him once.  They know what he is. 

Good trade for the Pats.  The rich get richer.  Their first round pick will likely be somewhere between 26 and 32, and now they also have a pick that will likely either be 33 or 34.  

Only question is, who backs up Brady for the rest of this year?

1 hour ago, mdrunning said:

They'll bring back Hoyer? Wasnt he released by 49ers after getting Garoppolo. They will have to get someone who knows the system. Atm Brady is all alone at qb.

17 minutes ago, RLPro said:

They'll bring back Hoyer? Wasnt he released by 49ers after getting Garoppolo. They will have to get someone who knows the system. Atm Brady is all alone at qb.

If Hoyer has offset language in his San Francisco contract, then he probably would be willing to go to New England for the minimum. From what I understand, Hoyer was originally in the deal for Garoppolo, but he was taken out for compensation pick reasons. It sounded like an under-the-table condition of the trade.

Edited by mdrunning

1 hour ago, mdrunning said:

If Hoyer has offset language in his San Francisco contract, then he probably would be willing to go to New England for the minimum. From what I understand, Hoyer was originally in the deal for Garoppolo, but he was taken out for compensation pick reasons. It sounded like an under-the-table condition of the trade.

Does that mean Hoyer wont go to Pats for sure? They do work in mysterious ways... Anyways, stripped down QB depth chart is a major risk. Who else is available?

4 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Hoyer was released after the trade.I would claim him just to screw with the Pats.

1 hour ago, johnpolitics said:

Hoyer was released after the trade.I would claim him just to screw with the Pats.

lol agreed

5 hours ago, RLPro said:

Does that mean Hoyer wont go to Pats for sure? They do work in mysterious ways... Anyways, stripped down QB depth chart is a major risk. Who else is available?

Colin Kaepernick is available.

I've never understood the Jimmy G. fascination.  The guy has thrown a grand total of 94 passes in the NFL, and he gets traded for what essentially amounts to a late first round pick.

2 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

It wouldn't just be to screw the Pats.  He would be an improvement over Mallett as Flacco's backup.

10 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

That trade makes no sense for the 49ers. They're 0-8 and he's a UFA after the season and the qb tag number is like $21M if they can't sign him to an extension. I don't get it.

People fall all over themselves to help the Patriots each year. You can set your watch by it.

Janine Garrappolo will be dog crap in SF, just like every NE QB is dogcrap once they leave NE.

Edited by Pickle20

10 hours ago, mdrunning said:

They will sign someone, anyone.   My guess is that if something happens and Brady is out for any extended period of time they figure their season is over anyway.  For the short term, someone could step in and perform like Garrapalo.  Thing is they sent Jacoby Brisset to Indianapolis and got a second round pick earlier.   That means they will probably have three essentially late first round draft picks.  Not bad for simply having a couple of backup QB's on your roster for a little while.  Next years draft is supposedly loaded with good QB prospects.  They probably think they can pick one up and groom him while Brady plays a few more years.  They were going to have to extend Garrapalo's contract if they wanted to keep him.  Saves money.   

2 hours ago, Thirteen said:

I've never understood the Jimmy G. fascination.  The guy has thrown a grand total of 94 passes in the NFL, and he gets traded for what essentially amounts to a late first round pick.

For some reason if you play 6 quarters for the eventual SB winner in a great offensive system you'll be a franchise QB anywhere.  :rolleyes:

At least Matt Cassel played an entire season.  Jimmy G is going from a first place team/system to one where they'll probably win 1-2 games max.

2 hours ago, Thirteen said:

That, right there.  Kinda reminds me of Matt Cassell.

12 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

It will be really interesting if the Pats sign him back as a free agent next year. :o

34 minutes ago, Struds said:

It will be really interesting if the Pats sign him back as a free agent next year. :o

I don't know what their cap situation is, but if he performs even half way decent with the niners, they probably won't be able to afford him. 

4 hours ago, Thirteen said:

Well, if you are a team in need of a QB you could use a first round pick on a college QB or an early second on someone who was already drafted in the 2nd round and has shown, albeit with limited snaps, that he is capable of running the New England offense. Is the college pick really less risky? 

35 minutes ago, Rael said:

Well, if you are a team in need of a QB you could use a first round pick on a college QB or an early second on someone who was already drafted in the 2nd round and has shown, albeit with limited snaps, that he is capable of running the New England offense. Is the college pick really less risky? 

The difference is you are getting a college QB for 4 or 5 years at an economical price. Deshaun Watson is already one of the best quarterbacks in the league and the Texans get him for pretty cheap the next few years. Is Jimmy a free agent next year? I'm not sure but if he is, he is going to demand a lot more than Watson.

5 minutes ago, RavingManiac said:

The difference is you are getting a college QB for 4 or 5 years at an economical price. Deshaun Watson is already one of the best quarterbacks in the league and the Texans get him for pretty cheap the next few years. Is Jimmy a free agent next year? I'm not sure but if he is, he is going to demand a lot more than Watson.

Jimmy is a UFA next season. I think what he'll get will depend on what he does in the next 8 games or 7 depending on whether he plays this week or not.