Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnpolitics

Pats trade Jimmy G to 49ers for....

53 posts in this topic

The Patriots have found their QB of the future. His name is Tom Brady. The last thing they wanted was a QB controversy in NE.

3 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

The difference is you are getting a college QB for 4 or 5 years at an economical price. Deshaun Watson is already one of the best quarterbacks in the league and the Texans get him for pretty cheap the next few years. Is Jimmy a free agent next year? I'm not sure but if he is, he is going to demand a lot more than Watson.

I get that and it does make the equation different than it was a few years ago. However, college QB's don't come in with NFL experience and Garoppolo has some, while admittedly a small sample size. Couple that with how many college QB's wash out at this level and I can see the argument they are making by getting him. 

3 hours ago, RavingManiac said:

Edited by Rael

4 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

I don't know what their cap situation is, but if he performs even half way decent with the niners, they probably won't be able to afford him. 

True, unless - and remember, this is NE - there is an agreement already in place. (I know, that's a huge stretch, but it's a fun thought for the conspiracy minds.) 😎

8 hours ago, Struds said:

It will be really interesting if the Pats sign him back as a free agent next year. :o

Not likely. Garoppolo wanted a chance to start somewhere, anywhere. He wasn't going to get that chance in New England as long as Brady was around.

Never liked Kyle Shanahan hope it works out for the 49ers. I'm sure Kyle will pick apart Jimmy's brain to run a patriot's offense.

On 10/30/2017 at 11:50 PM, mdrunning said:

Only question is, who backs up Brady for the rest of this year?

CBS and Yahoo practically beg for Kaepernick to get signed.

This ESPN article is a little long and seems like something more out of people magazine but does try to explain the head scratching move of trading away such a talent as garapolo ......

To paraphrase, seems Brady saw him as a threat to his goal of playing until 45 with the help of his new age health and fitness ideas that are also causing issues on the team....

Seems bilicheck wanted to keep garapolo and Brady went right to kraft ....

Interesting, pats traded away 2 promising backups in a few months,and brought in one of brady's friends as a back up .....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread180105/beginning-end-new-england-patriots-robert-kraft-tom-brady-bill-belichick-internal-power-struggle

No matter what Brady and co. Say publicly it feels like there's some truth to this situation. Belichick is great at evaluating talent- he would've been very hard pressed to trade Garrapalo away imo. He knows how good that guy is. The only pressure hard enough would come from the owner. 

Realistically, there wasn't much else New England could have done regarding Garappolo. He was a free agent after this season and wasn't going to spend another couple of years as Brady's caddy. The Patriots reportedly offered him a couple of different "bridge" deals to keep him, but he refused. Franchise numbers for 2018 haven't been released yet, but New England certainly wasn't going to pay a backup something north of $25 million.

The only thing New England could have done differently was keep Garappolo until the end of the season, then once he walked away, received a third round compensatory pick. As it was, they got a second-round pick from the Niners, which considering their standing at the time, looked to be rather high. Now that San Francisco closed strong to finish 6-10, that pick won't be as good as once thought.

38 minutes ago, mdrunning said:

The only thing New England could have done differently was keep Garappolo until the end of the season, then once he walked away, received a third round compensatory pick. As it was, they got a second-round pick from the Niners, which considering their standing at the time, looked to be rather high. Now that San Francisco closed strong to finish 6-10, that pick won't be as good as once thought.

There's a lesson here for a different team in a different town and a different league, no? ;)

1 hour ago, mdrunning said:

Realistically, there wasn't much else New England could have done regarding Garappolo. He was a free agent after this season and wasn't going to spend another couple of years as Brady's caddy. The Patriots reportedly offered him a couple of different "bridge" deals to keep him, but he refused. Franchise numbers for 2018 haven't been released yet, but New England certainly wasn't going to pay a backup something north of $25 million.

I hear ya but sounds like bb is a realist and wasn't comfortable basing the franchise's future on Brady doing was hasn't been done before .....

Tb and jg having the same agent certainly complicated things ....

Sounds like bb wanted to start making the transition .....

I think Brady is the goat but no one beats father time for long and the end us going to come quick and they will be up a creek ....

56 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

I hear ya but sounds like bb is a realist and wasn't comfortable basing the franchise's future on Brady doing was hasn't been done before .....

Tb and jg having the same agent certainly complicated things ....

Sounds like bb wanted to start making the transition .....

I think Brady is the goat but no one beats father time for long and the end us going to come quick and they will be up a creek ....

Good points, but I think there are going to be power struggles when three people who are among the best at what they do, all have large egos, and have been together for close to two decades. That would happen at virtually any company in America where such a dynamic existed. But what I don't believe is that Brady would allow the Patriots to trade Garappolo if he were considering retirement. He truly believes he can go another couple of years, but, as you said, no one beats Father Time forever.

I also think that during the supposed Kraft-Belichick meeting, there was never a mandate to trade Garappolo. Belichick is such a control freak, he'd have resigned almost immediately if Kraft had tried to interfere with personnel decisions.

On 11/10/2017 at 9:49 PM, Manny said:

CBS and Yahoo practically beg for Kaepernick to get signed.

Those guys spend their careers becoming experts in the craft they cover. There is almost universal agreement that Kaepernick should be on a NFL team. 

Brady thinks that weirdo he has helping him is going to keep him playing until he is 50. My guess is that within the next year or two he will fall off the table and that will be his final season. He won't be the first member, or the last, to joing the Played Too Long Club.

5 hours ago, Gertrude said:

The national media just won’t let it go. I have never seen such admiration of a backup QB in my life. The media treats him as if he’s a future HOFer. 

6 hours ago, Gertrude said:

Those guys spend their careers becoming experts in the craft they cover. There is almost universal agreement that Kaepernick should be on a NFL team. 

Unfortunately for him, none of the 32 teams in the NFL are in that universal agreement club.  But if the media ever gets ownership of a team, maybe he will get a job.  

22 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Unfortunately for him, none of the 32 teams in the NFL are in that universal agreement club.  But if the media ever gets ownership of a team, maybe he will get a job.  

Because he is being blackballed. He is better than most, and everyone knows it. 

41 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Because he is being blackballed. He is better than most, and everyone knows it. 

I realize you are just trolling to get a reaction but once again i will explain it to you. Kap is certainly good enough to be a backup. He, however, isn't worth the business hit a team would take to make him the backup. They would lose a percentage of fans and the monetary loss from that hit would outweigh any potential monetary gain he could have an impact on as a backup QB. Simple dollars and cents. Simple business decision. 

Posted (edited)

On 10/31/2017 at 7:54 AM, Thirteen said:

I've never understood the Jimmy G. fascination.  The guy has thrown a grand total of 94 passes in the NFL, and he gets traded for what essentially amounts to a late first round pick.

I'll admit it.  I was w-w-w-w-wrong.

Edited by Thirteen

On 1/7/2018 at 9:42 PM, cprenegade said:

Don't feed the race troll

3 hours ago, Thirteen said:

I'll admit it.  I was w-w-w-w-wrong.

I don't mean to pile on but by the logic you said previously why would any team take a QB with a first round pick? They all had zero passes in the NFL to Jimmy G's 94.

51 minutes ago, Rael said:

I don't mean to pile on but by the logic you said previously why would any team take a QB with a first round pick? They all had zero passes in the NFL to Jimmy G's 94.

Be he was, in actuality, a late 2rd round pick.  My doubt at the time was, did he get better by not playing for three years?