Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weird-O

This seems petty

20 posts in this topic

The latest round of friction between the Orioles and their regional rival, the Washington Nationals, involves a boundary war that will prevent the Nationals from continuing to play a preseason exhibition at the Naval Academy in Annapolis.

The Nationals hosted the Boston Red Sox at Navy’s Max Bishop Stadium on April 1, a game played in front of mostly midshipmen at the academy’s modest 1,500-seat stadium, and planned to play the exhibition annually through 2019.

But that won’t happen, as the series has been discontinued because the game was being played in Orioles territory.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-nationals-navy-20171101-story.html

23 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Very much so 

but then again who gives a bleep about the fans

So true

That's gotta be coming from Angelos, who is embroiled in a bitter fight with the Lerners that appears to be mostly greed driven.

19 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

That's gotta be coming from Angelos, who is embroiled in a bitter fight with the Lerners that appears to be mostly greed driven.

I'd be shocked if it was anything but what you described. 

When the Expos moved to town, I disapproved of an agreement whereby one team owned the media rights of another team. With that said, the Lerners agreed to the deal. Now they should stick to that deal. They want to rewrite the contract, now that they're in place. If that team collapsed and moved away, I'd be all for it, simply because I dislike the owners as much as I dislike the Angelos group. Billionaires hording money, it's a straight up Dickens story for the modern day. 

9 minutes ago, weird-O said:

I'd be shocked if it was anything but what you described. 

When the Expos moved to town, I disapproved of an agreement whereby one team owned the media rights of another team. With that said, the Lerners agreed to the deal. Now they should stick to that deal. They want to rewrite the contract, now that they're in place. If that team collapsed and moved away, I'd be all for it, simply because I dislike the owners as much as I dislike the Angelos group. Billionaires hording money, it's a straight up Dickens story for the modern day. 

I agree. If you don't like the contract, don't sign it.

Wouldn't be the first time Angelos got screwed on a contract, either. After the Angelos firm won the tobacco settlement (they were Maryland's or the City's participant in that giant lawsuit), Joe Curran pilloried him in the press, and I'm pretty sure Angelos was more or less forced to accept less than what was agreed. (Curran's opinion was that Angelos was taking money that could be and should be used to help sick people. But someone agreed to the terms of his participation. One wonders if they did so expecting to force the matter in the court of public opinion.)

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

I agree. If you don't like the contract, don't sign it.

Wouldn't be the first time Angelos got screwed on a contract, either. After the Angelos firm won the tobacco settlement (they were Maryland's or the City's participant in that giant lawsuit), Joe Curran pilloried him in the press, and I'm pretty sure Angelos was more or less forced to accept less than what was agreed. (Curran's opinion was that Angelos was taking money that could be and should be used to help sick people. But someone agreed to the terms of his participation. One wonders if they did so expecting to force the matter in the court of public opinion.)

They accepted that terrible deal, because it was the only way to get into the very exclusive MLB country club. And if they didn't accept those terms, there were several other groups that would have. Apparently they deluded themselves into thinking they could convince Pete to work with them, and renegotiate. They'll just keeping spinning their wheels in court, because MLB can't help them. And that's with a Commish that really wants to tear up that contract. He stacked the arb. panel with Pro MLB/Nats attorneys, and still couldn't crack that deal. Pete's smartest clause is the one that requires MASN to pay the O's and Nats the same $$$ for broadcasting rights.     

4 hours ago, weird-O said:

They accepted that terrible deal, because it was the only way to get into the very exclusive MLB country club. And if they didn't accept those terms, there were several other groups that would have. Apparently they deluded themselves into thinking they could convince Pete to work with them, and renegotiate. They'll just keeping spinning their wheels in court, because MLB can't help them. And that's with a Commish that really wants to tear up that contract. He stacked the arb. panel with Pro MLB/Nats attorneys, and still couldn't crack that deal. Pete's smartest clause is the one that requires MASN to pay the O's and Nats the same $$$ for broadcasting rights.     

Agree with you 100%.

I'd love it if Manny ended up in DC!

Petty, but justifiably so. There are territorial rights and Peter gave away some of what (like it or not) had become Orioles territory from a business sense. All the griping about the agreements and the terms of the agreements now is sort of silly in my opinion. And I can't stand the guy (at least as an owner) but can't fault them for doing what they have a right to do to protect and maximize revenue from what is / was their territory.

How he / they spend the proceeds is a different issue..

Edited by Ravens2006

10 hours ago, Ravens2006 said:

Petty, but justifiably so. There are territorial rights and Peter gave away some of what (like it or not) had become Orioles territory from a business sense. All the griping about the agreements and the terms of the agreements now is sort of silly in my opinion. And I can't stand the guy (at least as an owner) but can't fault them for doing what they have a right to do to protect and maximize revenue from what is / was their territory.

How he / they spend the proceeds is a different issue..

Nah, it's just posturing. Pete and Co. aren't in danger of losing more territory, just because the Nats play a single exhibition game in Annapolis. Like Bleeding said, all this does is slap the fans in the face. 

8 hours ago, weird-O said:

Nah, it's just posturing. Pete and Co. aren't in danger of losing more territory, just because the Nats play a single exhibition game in Annapolis. Like Bleeding said, all this does is slap the fans in the face. 

Let's not sugar coat it. It's Pete being an ashhat because he doesn't like the Lerners, and for that reason alone.

How is it that federal land is considered *any* team's territory? I'd think Lerner could sue MLB on those grounds alone. 

17 hours ago, EnochRoot said:

How is it that federal land is considered *any* team's territory? I'd think Lerner could sue MLB on those grounds alone. 

I think what they mean is that it lies within some agreed upon commercial footprint.

Those 1,500 Midshipmen are a really important segment of the Orioles' fanbase.  Don't want the Nats stealing them away.

18 hours ago, Thirteen said:

Those 1,500 Midshipmen are a really important segment of the Orioles' fanbase.  Don't want the Nats stealing them away.

I thought the same thing. They use to have exhibition games in RFK, before the Expos came to town. 

This is where Manfred needs to remove his head from his rectum (I am decidedly not a fan of that man) and sit Angelos and Lerner down at the table and essentially say this:

"Build a hybrid roster between your two clubs to play the Midshipmen."

18 hours ago, EnochRoot said:

This is where Manfred needs to remove his head from his rectum (I am decidedly not a fan of that man) and sit Angelos and Lerner down at the table and essentially say this:

"Build a hybrid roster between your two clubs to play the Midshipmen."

They are playing the Red Sox ......

Yeah I'm not sure why I got it into my head they were playing the Navy baseball team. :unsure: