Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sprightly

Fatal shootings put Baltimore over 300 homicides for year

63 posts in this topic

300.That's how many were killed. I wonder how many were shot?  It's really sad. 

Thank one the best Shock Trauma's around for it not being 500.

11 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

Thank one the best Shock Trauma's around for it not being 500.

Hopkins too.

Combined they must save 100 lives from potential murders a year. Maybe more.

1 hour ago, Pickle20 said:

Thanks, Marilyn!

Yeah no one was killed before she was elected. :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Negligence charges, Simon says, would have been justifiable against the officers in Gray’s death from injuries he suffered while bouncing around in a metal cage in the back of a police transport vehicle during a circuitous 45-minute ride.

But the charges brought by Mosby, including false arrest against three of the officers, sent the wrong message to police officers, says Simon: “What Mosby basically did was send a message to the Baltimore police department: ‘I’m going to put you in jail for making a bad arrest.’ So officers figured it out: ‘I can go to jail for making the wrong arrest, so I’m not getting out of my car to clear a corner,’ and that’s exactly what happened post-Freddie Gray.”

Simon’s theory is borne out by arrest numbers: they have plummeted from more than 40,000 in 2014, the year before Freddie Gray’s death and the subsequent charges against the officers, to about 18,000 thus far this year. This happened even as homicides soared from 211 in 2014 to 344 in 2015 – an increase of 63%.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/02/baltimore-murder-rate-homicides-ceasefire

3 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

The murder rate under Bernstein was a main point of her campaign when she ran.  Now, it's higher under her.

Here's where Baltimore is right now in terms of fatal shootings:

††††††††††     ††††††††††     ††††††††††

††

Quite a lot of murders for a city of 600,000 people.  In the DFW area where I live, I don't think we're even close to 200 murders and we have approximately 7.6 million people in the Metroplex.

43 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Yeah. Who was in office then? The guy you guy's put in the Governor's mansion.

Kurt Schmoke?

5 hours ago, Pickle20 said:

Thanks, Marilyn!

Sad but true. She put her personal aspirations ahead of her obligations to her office. She decided herself to become the "peoples" emissary. 

Edited by AugusteDupin

15 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

Sad but true. She put her personal aspirations ahead of her obligations to her office. She decided herself to become the "peoples" emissary. 

Baltimore City has had a homicide problem looooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg before Marilyn took office. Of course everyone here knows that, they are just foolishly  looking for a quick finger to point.

Edited by naive

According to the Baltimore Sun , there were 318 homicides in 2016. I believe there were actually more than that. Often times, homicides are "hidden" as "questionable or accidental deaths". I would wager that the true homicide number for 2016 is somewhere between 345-350. With 58 days left in the year, I wonder if the 2017 homicide rate will surpass the approximate number of 318. 

8 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

According to the Baltimore Sun , there were 318 homicides in 2016. I believe there were actually more than that. Often times, homicides are "hidden" as "questionable or accidental deaths". I would wager that the true homicide number for 2016 is somewhere between 345-350. With 58 days left in the year, I wonder if the 2017 homicide rate will surpass the approximate number of 318. 

Based on your "logic"

According to the Baltimore Sun , there were 353 homicides in 1993. I believe there were actually more than that. Often times, homicides are "hidden" as "questionable or accidental deaths". I would wager that the true homicide number for 1993 is somewhere between 400-410. With 58 days left in the year, I wonder if the 2017 homicide rate will surpass the approximate number of 353.

4 minutes ago, naive said:

Baltimore City has had a homicide problem looooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg before Marilyn took office. Of course everyone here knows that, they are just foolishly  looking for a quick finger to point.

True but it hasn't been this bad since the 90's. Well, aside from the people who are actually responsible for committing the homicides, there are those people such as Marylin who share the "collective" responsibility for what happens under the guise of their ostensible leadership. 

2 minutes ago, naive said:

Based on your "logic"

According to the Baltimore Sun , there were 353 homicides in 1993. I believe there were actually more than that. Often times, homicides are "hidden" as "questionable or accidental deaths". I would wager that the true homicide number for 1993 is somewhere between 400-410. With 58 days left in the year, I wonder if the 2017 homicide rate will surpass the approximate number of 353.

My logic is based on actual experience. Your name suits you well, however, I'm happy that you can understand my logic. 

8 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

My logic is based on actual experience. Your name suits you well, however, I'm happy that you can understand my logic. 

Thank you. I picked my name because it fits 99% of the people here. Welcome to their club.

1 hour ago, naive said:

Kurt Schmoke?

Got me. Screwed up my decades.

Just now, naive said:

Thank you. I picked my name because it fits 99% of the people here. Welcome to their club.

Wow fantastic...your "logic" is to name yourself according to the premise of other peoples thoughts or lack thereof. Amazing!