Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

Free Agency

97 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I'll take "why the O's won't sign him" for 200 Alex. 

But rest assured, they'll pretend they are in the hunt.

44 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

But rest assured, they'll pretend they are in the hunt.

I always look forward to DD's annual, "Our number one priority is a  top of the rotation pitcher" comments. Because talking about it, is the closest he'll ever get to actually acquiring one. 

8 hours ago, mdrunning said:

This year's free-agent crop isn't exactly overflowing with viable starting pitchers, which is naturally going to drive up the price for those who are available. The downside to Cobb, of course, is the 2015 Tommy John surgery and the fact that he's never come close to pitching 200 innings in a single season.

Still, it wouldn't be surprising at all to see Cobb sign a contract in the neighborhood of five years and close to $100 million. Such is the law of supply and demand.

I had originally thought Cobb was in the Smardjen/Leake range for a 5yr/90mil deal.  And I think Cobb is better than both these guys.  So you maybe right on the 5 yr/100mil.  And some teams actually might look at Cobb's 2015 TJ surgery a plus since he pitched 180IP his first year back.  He has that injury out of the way and most guys are way better the second year back off of TJ.  Read where Cobb should be able to work the cutter back into his pitch arsenal this year and that was his dominate pitch before TJ.  Just like Bundy. Check his numbers out prior to 2014.  He was very, very good. The guy is a solid high end #2.  He is out of the O's range.  Saw where the O's are shopping in the Chatwood aisle.

The only way to improve the O's starting pitching is to trade Zack or Manny to the Dodgers for their prospects. 

10 hours ago, johnpolitics said:

The only way to improve the O's starting pitching is to trade Zack or Manny to the Dodgers for their prospects. 

It would have been even better if they had done it last year.

1 hour ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

LOL!!!!   Yeah, and I'm interested in a Porsche 911, too!!   We've seen this propaganda for 5 years now.

1 hour ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

O's shopping in the Tillman, Chatwood, Vargas aisle.  Guys who can give you a solid 5-6 ERA on cheap short term deals.  Yeah, that's the oriole way.

On 11/16/2017 at 8:32 AM, weird-O said:

I always look forward to DD's annual, "Our number one priority is a  top of the rotation pitcher" comments. Because talking about it, is the closest he'll ever get to actually acquiring one. 

Big Dan already kinda said that a few weeks ago when he declared (paraphrase) that he was going to get some “new” pitchers although he didn’t “know where they’d come from.”

4 minutes ago, Thirteen said:

I don't understand this move, for either party. For starters, the Sox have already committed to losing for a couple of seasons, and rebuilding from within. They're shopping Abreu. Why add a FA catcher at $7.5/yr when you can lose with any number of league min. temps. Hell, trade for Joseph even. And for Beef, why leave the O's for a few extra pennies? At least the O's will feign competing. Both teams look to be also rans, but I have to think it would be more fun to also run with the O's over the Sox. 

The only thing I can figure, is that Chi bought him so that they could flip him at the trade deadline.  

10 minutes ago, weird-O said:

And for Beef, why leave the O's for a few extra pennies?

It's 2 years and a club option 3rd year. Even before this move it was likely Cisco was going to get some significant time behind the plate. So instead of 1 year guaranteed with the O's, he gets 2 years and a possible 3rd in Chi. Looks like a smart move to me.

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

It's 2 years and a club option 3rd year. Even before this move it was likely Cisco was going to get some significant time behind the plate. So instead of 1 year guaranteed with the O's, he gets 2 years and a possible 3rd in Chi. Looks like a smart move to me.

Good point. I believe he would have gotten that same offer next season, maybe better. But why risk it.   

31 minutes ago, weird-O said:

Good point. I believe he would have gotten that same offer next season, maybe better. But why risk it.   

He possibly could have gotten the same next year, but he just had his best statistical year at the plate. Strike while the iron is hot.

Edited by bmore_ken

Interesting quotes from DD on Tillman.  The team still really doesn't know how to fix Tillman after all this time.  They are still looking at it, LOL!!!!!  Sounds like a pass to me

“I know he was one of our players and he did a great job for five years, but it’s really not kosher for me to talk about where he fits in. I think those decisions, we’ll sift our way through the pitchers. Certainly, he did a great job for us for five years. I’m not sure we have identified exactly what the solution is to getting him back to form that he was previously. That’s something that we worked on all year and we’re still taking a look at it.” 

Did anyone see this article, advocating for Mike Wright to be put back into the rotation? Meet your #3 starter for your 2018 Orioles. The Warehouse told their PR wing to start planting the seeds for Wright, so that the less informed O's fan can be excited about this guy starting again. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-wright-20171205-story.html

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

Did anyone see this article, advocating for Mike Wright to be put back into the rotation? Meet your #3 starter for your 2018 Orioles. The Warehouse told their PR wing to start planting the seeds for Wright, so that the less informed O's fan can be excited about this guy starting again. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-wright-20171205-story.html

I'm sorry, but this is just sad and pathetic.  The O's mgt team continues to show their blatant ignorance on what constitutes decent starting pitching.  On another "jump the shark" comment from DD, he didn't dismiss the possibility of giving Raffy Palmeiro a shot in his supposed comeback attempt.  Yeah, Raffy is floating a comeback at age 53.  Good lord, this is really shopping in the expired goods aisle!!!  This just seems like a big joke.  Hope DD was just pulling little Kenny's chain.

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

I'm sorry, but this is just sad and pathetic.  The O's mgt team continues to show their blatant ignorance on what constitutes decent starting pitching.  On another "jump the shark" comment from DD, he didn't dismiss the possibility of giving Raffy Palmeiro a shot in his supposed comeback attempt.  Yeah, Raffy is floating a comeback at age 53.  Good lord, this is really shopping in the expired goods aisle!!!  This just seems like a big joke.  Hope DD was just pulling little Kenny's chain.

HaHa!!! I hadn't even heard about a Raffy comeback, until you mentioned it. Just wait until he steps into the box and sees live pitching that's being thrown with the intention of getting him out. Any team that signs him, is doing it for the publicity. Which is why I wouldn't be surprised to see the O's give him a minor league deal with a ST invite. That might actually be a fun and welcomed diversion, to break up the monotony of the "Is Manny going to stay or go" reporting that we'll be subjected to all year.    

Even though everyone here already knows the answer to that Manny question B)

3 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

On another "jump the shark" comment from DD, he didn't dismiss the possibility of giving Raffy Palmeiro a shot in his supposed comeback attempt.  Yeah, Raffy is floating a comeback at age 53.  Good lord, this is really shopping in the expired goods aisle!!!  This just seems like a big joke.  Hope DD was just pulling little Kenny's chain.

That "B12" is amazing stuff.

6 hours ago, weird-O said:

Sweet this means home plate seats on Friday nights

9 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Sweet this means home plate seats on Friday nights

You and me buddy ;)

19 hours ago, weird-O said:

I think Wright will figure it out in 2018.  Ubaldo had a strong finish to 2017 so bring him back too on 1 year deal to prove himself.

12 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

I think Wright will figure it out in 2018.  Ubaldo had a strong finish to 2017 so bring him back too on 1 year deal to prove himself.

I couldn't agree more. And I don't think DD should second guess himself. He always believed in Miley. He should stick with that feeling, and bring him back, before some other team realizes that gem that's been left out in the rain. 

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

I couldn't agree more. And I don't think DD should second guess himself. He always believed in Miley. He should stick with that feeling, and bring him back, before some other team realizes that gem that's been left out in the rain. 

I'm on board.  UJ and Miley stinking again in 2017 was just a fluke.  And Wright is right on the verge of breaking through after his stellar 5.86 ERA out of the pen/DL last year.  Bundy, Gaus, UJ, Miley and Wright!!!   Just think of all the dollars DD/Buck would then have to sign a power RF that strikes out one out of 3 times.  Perfect complement to Davis and Trumbo. Yeah that's the ticket, :lol: