Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

Free Agency

178 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Thirteen said:

there will forever be Mike Wright, though.

Wilson and Wright.  Two future lynchpins of the O's rotation or so thought Buck and DD.  Wow just wow.  I'm convinced Buck still thinks Wright has what it takes as a starter.  He'll be given every chance in the spring. Uness we get a couple pitchers in a Manny trade, he most likely is going to be in there till May when his 6 plus era gets him sent to the pen.  Anyone ever see that story in birdland before???  Happens every year in May or June with some dud we have pitching.

54 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Wilson and Wright.  Two future lynchpins of the O's rotation or so thought Buck and DD.  Wow just wow.  I'm convinced Buck still thinks Wright has what it takes as a starter.  He'll be given every chance in the spring. Uness we get a couple pitchers in a Manny trade, he most likely is going to be in there till May when his 6 plus era gets him sent to the pen.  Anyone ever see that story in birdland before???  Happens every year in May or June with some dud we have pitching.

All indications suggest the O's plan to give Wright a shot at the rotation. It's probably desperation, more than anything. But when you only have 2 starters, you can't afford to shut the door on any options. 

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

All indications suggest the O's plan to give Wright a shot at the rotation. It's probably desperation, more than anything. But when you only have 2 starters, you can't afford to shut the door on any options. 

You just painted a picture of a 100 loss team.

Just saw Cobbs asking price is 4yrs/70mil.  That's actually less than what I thought he would get.

23 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Just saw Cobbs asking price is 4yrs/70mil.  That's actually less than what I thought he would get.

Not bad. It's a bit inflated for his production. But that's the advantage of being a FA in a particularly weak off season. 

It is amazing how little has been done - everywhere - with a little over a month to go until pitchers & catchers report.

On 1/7/2018 at 0:20 PM, Evil Yoda said:

It is amazing how little has been done - everywhere - with a little over a month to go until pitchers & catchers report.

Maybe teams realized they don't need to over pay what's available.

This is one of the slowest free agency seasons that I can remember. Typically you'll see a couple of big signings in December, then the market really starts to thaw in January as spring training approaches. As of this time, however, there are still 135 free agents looking for jobs, according to Ken Rosenthal.

There are a myriad of factors, but a couple which stand out include the biggest-spending teams--Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Nats--are either trying to stay below the luxury tax or are already over it and are reluctant to add to their liability. There are also a few teams, such as the Tigers, who have spent liberally in free agency in years past, but are now in rebuild mode and as a result, are trying to shed payroll rather than add to it.

It's also interesting to note that of the players considered the Top 10 of this year's free agent crop (Eric Hosmer, Yu Darvish, JD Martinez, Lorenzo Cain, Jake Arrieta, Mike Moustakas, Wade Davis, Alex Cobb, Lance Lynn and Greg Holland), only two (Davis and Holland with Colorado) have signed. What also can't be overlooked is that five of the top 10 free agents are all Scott Boras clients, who typically doesn't have his players sign until well into January.

This also isn't the sexiest of free-agent classes, at least not when compared to who could be available next offseason when Manny Machado, Bryce Harper, Zach Britton, Dallas Keuchel, Craig Kimbrell, Josh Donaldson, and possibly Clayton Kershaw will take their walks down the free agent aisle.

6 hours ago, mdrunning said:

This is one of the slowest free agency seasons that I can remember. Typically you'll see a couple of big signings in December, then the market really starts to thaw in January as spring training approaches. As of this time, however, there are still 135 free agents looking for jobs, according to Ken Rosenthal.

There are a myriad of factors, but a couple which stand out include the biggest-spending teams--Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, Nats--are either trying to stay below the luxury tax or are already over it and are reluctant to add to their liability. There are also a few teams, such as the Tigers, who have spent liberally in free agency in years past, but are now in rebuild mode and as a result, are trying to shed payroll rather than add to it.

It's also interesting to note that of the players considered the Top 10 of this year's free agent crop (Eric Hosmer, Yu Darvish, JD Martinez, Lorenzo Cain, Jake Arrieta, Mike Moustakas, Wade Davis, Alex Cobb, Lance Lynn and Greg Holland), only two (Davis and Holland with Colorado) have signed. What also can't be overlooked is that five of the top 10 free agents are all Scott Boras clients, who typically doesn't have his players sign until well into January.

This also isn't the sexiest of free-agent classes, at least not when compared to who could be available next offseason when Manny Machado, Bryce Harper, Zach Britton, Dallas Keuchel, Craig Kimbrell, Josh Donaldson, and possibly Clayton Kershaw will take their walks down the free agent aisle.

We should offer all 1yr deals 😃

13 hours ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

We should offer all 1yr deals 😃

Looks like many of those players may need to do just that.

Looks like the Astros are about to land Garret Cole for some prospects. The Yankees were in on him, but the asking price started at Gleyber Torres. I'd imagine the Astros paid a lot to get him...

Sounds like Houston is balking at the trade table, again. No trade is imminent. They want best in class trade pieces, but don't want to part with their top prospects. Sounds exactly like the Warehouse :lol:

18 hours ago, weird-O said:

Sounds like Houston is balking at the trade table, again. No trade is imminent. They want best in class trade pieces, but don't want to part with their top prospects. Sounds exactly like the Warehouse :lol:

The Warehouse has "top prospects"?

Miggy signs with White Sox. O's screw up again!

The White Sox have officially agreed to a one-year deal with free agent righty Miguel Gonzalez, as Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic first reported (via Twitter). He’ll receive a $4.75MM salary, the team announced (and as Chris Cotillo of SB Nation tweeted). Outfielder Jacob May was designated for assignment to open a roster spot.

Didn't the league change the rules about signing FA's where you don't lose a draft pick.?? Was it changed to the team that loses gets a pick at the end of the round .??

20 hours ago, stevez51 said:

Didn't the league change the rules about signing FA's where you don't lose a draft pick.?? Was it changed to the team that loses gets a pick at the end of the round .??

I found this explanation. Unlike the previous QO system, it's now a long series of "if-then" scenarios.

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-qualifying-offer-rules-explained/c-259650658

Well the O's off season has been so bad, MASN (Roch) hit rock bottom today pondering whether Andrew Falkner could be the answer as a LH relief pitcher.  The same guy the O's removed from the 40 man roster last year.  I thought we reached that point 2 weeks ago when MASN was pumping up what a great off season Chris Davis has had (what, did he bench press 500lbs?????). 

Chris is still a lunkhead as he figures going 1-4 with a dinger is way better than going 4-4 with 4 bunt singles.  Opposing players have told him this, so it has to be true.  I'm paraphrasing, but its the same old bull.  He was asked about beating the shift.  Oh, and yeah he is maybe going to throw in the bunt some this year, LOL!!!!!!  I need to post that link.  Its priceless.  

3 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Well the O's off season has been so bad, MASN (Roch) hit rock bottom today pondering whether Andrew Falkner could be the answer as a LH relief pitcher.  The same guy the O's removed from the 40 man roster last year.  I thought we reached that point 2 weeks ago when MASN was pumping up what a great off season Chris Davis has had (what, did he bench press 500lbs?????). 

Chris is still a lunkhead as he figures going 1-4 with a dinger is way better than going 4-4 with 4 bunt singles.  Opposing players have told him this, so it has to be true.  I'm paraphrasing, but its the same old bull.  He was asked about beating the shift.  Oh, and yeah he is maybe going to throw in the bunt some this year, LOL!!!!!!  I need to post that link.  Its priceless.  

Kubatko is a company man. He works for the Orioles (via MASN); you will never get any kind of hard-hitting journalism from that one. He's not a reporter, he's a marketer. That's fine, up until people fail to realize it.

Duquette has clearly ceased to care. And why would he? He realized a few years back what a terrible boss Angelos is, and he's been basically phoning it in ever since. But when he hits the bricks at the end of this season, Angelos will just replace him with someone else whose ability to succeed will be constrained from the top. And the beat will go on.

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

Kubatko is a company man. He works for the Orioles (via MASN); you will never get any kind of hard-hitting journalism from that one. He's not a reporter, he's a marketer. That's fine, up until people fail to realize it.

Duquette has clearly ceased to care. And why would he? He realized a few years back what a terrible boss Angelos is, and he's been basically phoning it in ever since. But when he hits the bricks at the end of this season, Angelos will just replace him with someone else whose ability to succeed will be constrained from the top. And the beat will go on.

All good points.

I have no doubt that the baseball industry knows who Pete is, how he runs things, and how difficult it is to work for him, let alone to actually have success. 

1 hour ago, weird-O said:

All good points.

I have no doubt that the baseball industry knows who Pete is, how he runs things, and how difficult it is to work for him, let alone to actually have success. 

Duquette was his fourth choice. Three men turned him down after learning about the job as he offered it.

10 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Duquette was his fourth choice. Three men turned him down after learning about the job as he offered it.

Oh, I remember that. I especially remember Tony LaCava. He was offered the job, and said, No thanks. I'd rather be an assistant GM here, than your GM.