soulflower

Mass Shooting near San Antonio

487 posts in this topic

18 months old .....

Sick and pathetic...

Someone that willing points a gun and shoots an 18 month old child  doesn't follow any rules that you can come up with .....

2 hours ago, jdsample said:

I hate to say it but NO DIVERSITY.  Racial or religious.  Look at Switzerland.

That ship sailed with Columbus.  But we can make this work and have,  But we need to have a common culture of acceptance and a few common values.   

So... a white guy in rural Texas drives to a neighboring town, walks into a church, and shoots a bunch of white people and you're saying that diversity is the problem?

Sorry dude, but that is, hands down, the most stupid thing I have ever read.

7 hours ago, Guido2 said:

hst2; ...you don't hear it because the liberal media doesn't want you to hear it.

Here read these....it only took me about a minute or two with a google to blow your statement out of the water.......

https://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/cdc-study-use-firearms-self-defense-important-crime-deterrent

(CNSNews.com) – “Self-defense can be an important crime deterrent,”says a new report by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The $10 million study was commissioned by President Barack Obama as part of 23 executive orders he signed in January.

https://www.gunowners.org/sk0802htm.htm

Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day. [1] This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives. [2]

Even anti-gun Clinton researchers concede that guns are used 1.5 million times annually for self-defense. According to the Clinton Justice Department, there are as many as 1.5 million cases of self-defense every year.

So, reports and studies called for by very Liberal and anti-gun Clinton and Obama just blew your argument out of the water..

The contradictions of the Kleck Study

The study that gun rights activists keep citing but completely misunderstand.

Edited by hst2

5 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

You actually seem like a text book example of they type of angry failure I was  talking about.

Does your text book of hack psychology have a chapter on projection?  Where can we find the O’Bawlmerian Factor podcast?

1 minute ago, RileyMartin said:

Does your text book of hack psychology have a chapter on projection?  Where can we find the O’Bawlmerian Factor podcast?

Sounds like a classic rubber/glue come back 

More people (1,203) have been shot and killed in Chicago over the last 2 years than in all the mass shootings combined over the last 50 years (974).

Some people here seem more concerned about how quickly people are killed rather than the total number of deaths.  Fifty eight (58) murder in an hour is abhorrent, while 58 murders in a month elicits yawns.

Others seem more concerned about the AR-15 or other misnamed "assault rifles" used in many of the mass or spree killings, when handguns are used in over 85% of all gun murders in the USA.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/mass-shootings-in-america/

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data/

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016-chicago-murders/explore-data

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2017-chicago-murders/explore-data

The only way these killings will ever stop is for all new firearms sales to be banned and all existing firearms to be confiscated.  And since that will never happen (yes, never) the killings will never stop.

4 minutes ago, Glengarry said:

More people (1,203) have been shot and killed in Chicago over the last 2 years than in all the mass shootings combined over the last 50 years (974).

Some people here seem more concerned about how quickly people are killed rather than the total number of deaths.  Fifty eight (58) murder in an hour is abhorrent, while 58 murders in a month elicits yawns.

Others seem more concerned about the AR-15 or other misnamed "assault rifles" used in many of the mass or spree killings, when handguns are used in over 85% of all gun murders in the USA.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data/

The only way these killings will ever stop is for all new firearms sales to be banned and all existing firearms to be confiscated.  And since that will never happen (yes, never) the killings will never stop.

Sorry, but to compare criminals and drug dealers and gang members killing each other in the streets  to people being gunned down while sitting in church is, quite frankly, moronic.

4 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

18 months old .....

Sick and pathetic...

Someone that willing points a gun and shoots an 18 month old child  doesn't follow any rules that you can come up with .....

Disgusting. I heard on the news last night that he shot one kid 5 times and the doctors were still trying to save his life.

The inhuman being cracked his stepson's head, have to wonder if he served time for that...seems (from his past history) to me he was a time bomb set to go off.

4 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

So... a white guy in rural Texas drives to a neighboring town, walks into a church, and shoots a bunch of white people and you're saying that diversity is the problem?

Sorry dude, but that is, hands down, the most stupid thing I have ever read.

Definitely a WTH moment.

4 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Sorry, but to compare criminals and drug dealers and gang members killing each other in the streets  to people being gunned down while sitting in church is, quite frankly, moronic.

What's moronic is your belief that the frequency of murder is more important than the total.  Or that human lives are measured by where the victim is located.

7 hours ago, JoyinMudville said:

How about this idea?

Let's look at what the countries that don't have mass shootings every six or seven weeks are doing differently.

Zing! There you have it. 

17 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Probably just following Trump's lead.  He also deflected to Chicago.

7 hours ago, jdsample said:

That ship sailed with Columbus.  But we can make this work and have,  But we need to have a common culture of acceptance and a few common values.   

Seeing as you mentioned Switzerland, there you have an example of how your 2nd Amendment is meant to be actioned, you know, with that pesky "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, ... " bit.  ;)

13 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

Yeah, and then every playground brawl has the potential become a gunfight.

Have people lost their minds?

As we speak shotgun shooting sports, trap, sleet and clays are hugely popular and many high schools have it as a varsity sport, particularly in the midwest,  Thousands of kids participate (they've had to limit some programs because there are not enough facilities) and the latest data I can find shows a 0.0 rate of injury.

It's far safer than playing football or any other sport.

5 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

18 months old .....

Sick and pathetic...

I read he fired 450 rounds.

7 hours ago, jdsample said:

Actually a good guy with a gun ended it.  

That's ignored because it's not something some want to admit.

It's the same way how people, some on here, want more gun control and laws to prevent someone and asked how this guy could buy a gun. 

Then we found out that he was able to buy guns because the authorities themselves failed to follow the law and enter information that would have prevented the purchase.  Now, some are ignoring that fact too.

Notice also who it is on here and in public comments who are mocking religious people for offering "thoughts and prayers" following this attack.  If the killer had been a Muslim we'd be warned and reminded, and rightfully so, not to blame all Muslims for the act of a single person.  Here, the opposite is happening.  The NRA and Trump supporters are being blamed for the act of a single person as others project his actions onto whole groups of people. 

The laws were already in place.  The government itself broke the existing law and failed to do what the law required them to do and enter the information that would have prevented the sale of guns to that killer.

8 hours ago, jdsample said:

Canada has a very diverse population, 20% are immigrants.  As does England and Australia.

Edited by ms maggie

Canada has fewer citizens than California and the UK is in the 65-68M range.  Apples and Oranges

2 minutes ago, workerbee said:

Canada has fewer citizens than California and the UK is in the 65-68M range.  Apples and Oranges

Why does that matter? The homicide by gun crime rate metric is per 100,000 citizens. 

37 minutes ago, workerbee said:

Sorry, but that is irrelevant.

7 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

So you think increasing diversity somehow makes these guys feel threatened and triggered?

I think that it is an unfortunate characteristic of animals, but perhaps part of the evolutionary path, to be hostile to similar but slightly different animals.  As a child we all bought panes of glass, wood strips and glue to make ant farms.  I imposed a diversity policy and mixed reds ant from multiple piles with black ants from other piles.  It did not work.  The battles were entertaining, but short-lived.  Much later in life my children were being trained in school about the importance and value of diversity in the public schools of Arkansas.  In what I thought was a moment of insanity without thought, the school reached out to a Bosnian couple in our town to help design costumes of the various cultures in the former Czechoslovakia.  They were being held out as people we should learn from and emulate their diversity.  The Bosnian couple were never able to return home because it had been destroyed in the diversity wars.  So I found it really bizarre that a multiracial, multicultural community should be lectured on the value of multiculturalism from a place where it has failed tragically.  If anything, the US is the model of making diversity work, but it is hard.  It is much easier for a nation of one culture, one people, one race to stay united.  

But in America, anything is possible.  The best case of diversity I ever saw was again, right there in Arkansas.  A family immigrated from Nigeria to this mostly white southern town, and attended services at the local Episcopal church.  Normally when we say someone is black, it is shorthand for their racial characteristics.  It is not literally true.  These people were literally black.  At the end of the service these literally black people were mobbed by the rest of the congregation, welcoming them, wanting to know the childrens' names and how they came to Arkansas.  Many of those parishioners' family names grace a Confederate monument to the men of that town who fought the Yankees.  It is just a block away from the church.   

Well I guess I haven't really answered your question just bloviated a bit.  In this case, no.  Totally unrelated by all accounts.  In general yes, I think there is a tendency to feel threatened when your culture is being displaced.  The American Indians did not go down quietly.  Were they racists or anti-multi-cultural?  It has taken a couple hundred years for blacks & whites & others to form a more or less peaceful American culture.  If you now want to import millions of people from another culture, expect it to take another couple hundred years to change our culture.  There will be those that resist.  That is just human nature as Sitting Bull would say.  

2 hours ago, Glengarry said:

What's moronic is your belief that the frequency of murder is more important than the total.  Or that human lives are measured by where the victim is located.

I never said anything about the frequency of murder being more important than the total or that human lives are measured by where the victim is located.  Don't make crap up.  What I said is that you are comparing uncomparable situations, and there is no denying that.  That you have to lie about my post in response only bolsters my argument.  Carry on.

There is another VERY relevant fact that is also ignored by those who won't acknowledge or admit, just like they don't want to admit that there was already a law on the books  that, if followed by the government which enacted it, and would have prevented the killer from buying those guns:

The good guy with the gun who stopped the bad guy with the gun before he could kill the rest of the congregation was a certified NRA instructor and sharpshooter who pulled off the two shots that stunned, stopped, and wounded the killer used his own "assault rifle" to do it.  Listen to the interviews. 

3 hours ago, Glengarry said:

Your point about the 'body count' mass murders vs chicago is a good one. I will add; give or take 274 people have been killed in mass murders and in Baltimore 300+ and counting.

Again....if you ban guns....you are ONLY banning guns for the law abiding.

If you want shooting deaths to go down......THE COURTS HAVE TO PUT THE TRIGGER PULLERS AWAY....PERIOD....TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW.....no plea bargains.....no time off for good behaviour....no variation in the law because he is a poor baby. .

And much like you said......that will never happen.

If you can guarantee mine..... I will consider yours.

11 hours ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

The finest laws ever written are mere scrap paper without the will and ability to enforce  them.

Not to mention plain, old fashioned human error.

BYNGO.

But as we see........ they will come up with even more laws that only affect the law abiding....while letting the bad guys out the door faster than a NY second.

As pointed out in that Plea Deal article in the Sun. There was one guy....who had a felony arrest prior...plus a rap sheet a mile long and caught with an illegal firearm...but pleaded out ...maybe got 6 months with time serverd...guess what 2 weeks later was arrested....for gun possession.

That is just but one example of hundreds ....just in BC.

Enforce the laws on the books....then we can talk more about gun control.

Edited by Guido2