Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

Way-too-early 2018 Power Rankings: Orioles among bottom five

11 posts in this topic

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21139850/ranking-mlb-teams-ahead-offseason

26. Baltimore Orioles

2017 record: 75-87

The team fell apart in September, going 7-21 to finish with their worst record since 2011. You never want to bet against Buck Showalter, but it's hard to see this team competing with the Red Sox and Yankees in the AL East, which means Manny Machado and Zach Britton will likely be traded before they hit free agency after the 2018 season -- if not this winter, then certainly during the season when the front office realizes the team isn't very good.

Edited by Rob
fixed date

Will be nice to have so much more free time on my hands next spring, summer, fall 

5 hours ago, Rob said:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21139850/ranking-mlb-teams-ahead-offseason

26. Baltimore Orioles

2107 record: 75-87

The team fell apart in September, going 7-21 to finish with their worst record since 2011. You never want to bet against Buck Showalter, but it's hard to see this team competing with the Red Sox and Yankees in the AL East, which means Manny Machado and Zach Britton will likely be traded before they hit free agency after the 2018 season -- if not this winter, then certainly during the season when the front office realizes the team isn't very good.

Why are you making a prediction so far out? Most of us will be dead in 2107. ;)

6 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

Bad farm system?

An accurate assessment, except that I think Angelos will direct them to try to keep Machado. He sometimes makes decisions based purely on what he thinks will help market the team, and he might be worried that sending Machado away, or allowing him to leave, will alienate fans. Peter, the fans you haven't already alienated, you likely can't alienate.

9 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

An accurate assessment, except that I think Angelos will direct them to try to keep Machado. He sometimes makes decisions based purely on what he thinks will help market the team, and he might be worried that sending Machado away, or allowing him to leave, will alienate fans. Peter, the fans you haven't already alienated, you likely can't alienate.

I agree. Pete doesn't trade away fan favorites. 

18 hours ago, ncbirdfan said:

I just saw that. Stupid ESPN!

1 hour ago, Rob said:

I just saw that. Stupid ESPN!

ESPN has no one check what they write. They do produce some whoppers.

9 hours ago, weird-O said:

I agree. Pete doesn't trade away fan favorites. 

Whether they will actually be able to keep Manny is a different question, but I believe they will try. Of course, there's "try" like they did with Mussina, where they make a token offer to convince the fans he mattered, and there's actual try. As much as I'd like him to stay here, it really is in Manny's best interest to play for a club whose ownership wants to win.

If you were Manny, would you stay?

Hell no you wouldn't.