Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

Roy Halladay killed in a plane crash

14 posts in this topic

One of the best of his time.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/21331438/roy-halladay-40-dies-plane-crash-gulf-mexico

Roy Halladay, a two-time Cy Young Award-winning pitcher who retired from baseball nearly four years ago, has died in a plane crash in the Gulf of Mexico. He was 40.

Pasco County Sheriff Chris Nocco said during a news conference that Halladay's ICON A5, a small single-engine aircraft, went down around noon Tuesday off the coast of Florida.

The sheriff's office marine unit responded and found Halladay's body in shallow water near some mangroves. No survivors were found. Police said they couldn't confirm if there were additional passengers on the plane or say where it was headed.

He was spectacular during a time when pitching, especially in the AL East, was not an easy gig. I loved watching him run through line ups, always cool, composed, and efficient. I wish all pitchers took as little time between pitches as he did. When he really had it going it was a two hour game!

Such a sad ending to his story. He was so excited and happy flying his new plane. This reminds me of JFKjr...thinking he's more experienced than he really was. 

I read this morning how his wife fought against the purchase of this plane.  

Only about twenty of those have been made. Reminds me of the way John Denver died - a plane that maybe hasn't been completely vetted for good design, piloted by someone who maybe hasn't got the experience and skills to handle an air emergency.

What an absolute shame.  He was one of my favorite pitchers of his generation.

When he pitched against the O's I was not a fan but against all other teams I loved him.  He worked fast, threw first pitch strikes routinely (take note O's pitchers) and was a competitor.

46 minutes ago, johnpolitics said:

Gausman honoring Halliday.

He will wear #34

Heard this on the fan yesterday afternoon.  Both are from Colorado and KG wanted to do something to honor him. Nice move Kevin.