Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulflower

Democrats winning bigly in VA and other places

190 posts in this topic

37 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Congrats GOP, you've found something else you're good at.   Convincing people that you shouldn't be in charge in one years time.   Hell, you've even convinced some in your own party that you shouldn't be in charge.  Good riddance.  

Agree, bunch of cowards who can't do what the promised ......

No difference between the 2 mainstream parties at this time ......

MSNBC’s Morning Joe on Monday predicted that Northam would lose :lol:

Curran, Gillen make history with big wins in Nassau County

County Legislator Laura Curran made history by becoming the first woman to declare victory in a race for Nassau County executive.

Meanwhile, Laura Gillan became the first Democrat ever elected as Hempstead town supervisor. Gillen won an unexpected victory over Republican incumbent Anthony Santino in the race.

Republicans have controlled Hempstead for about 100 years, according to political experts.

http://longisland.news12.com/story/36792282/gillen-curran-make-history-with-big-wins-in-nassau-county

11 minutes ago, Cameron said:

County Legislator Laura Curran made history by becoming the first woman to declare victory in a race for Nassau County executive.

Meanwhile, Laura Gillan became the first Democrat ever elected as Hempstead town supervisor. Gillen won an unexpected victory over Republican incumbent Anthony Santino in the race.

Republicans have controlled Hempstead for about 100 years, according to political experts.

http://longisland.news12.com/story/36792282/gillen-curran-make-history-with-big-wins-in-nassau-county

I was just about to post this. Gillen was a very down ballot race. Town is the administrative division below the county. And county was the highest level race on the ballot.

There wasn’t a Scott Brown winning Ted Kennedy’s seat moment last night but there were many many warning signs for Republicans.

1 hour ago, bmorepunk said:

So after this, if Moore somehow loses in Alabama next month, some panic will probably start to set it. And right before the 2018 primary ramp ups where Trumpish and other extremist candidates probably have a good shot at blowing up Republican incumbents. 

The last time a Democrat ran a remotely close race in Alabama was ‘96. If Moore wins but it’s close you might still see panic.

4 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Virginia is growing rapidly, outside the SW corner. Not just NoVa. 

15 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Is this going to stop you guys from howling at the moon tonight?

I do it every night :P

3 hours ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Is this going to stop you guys from howling at the moon tonight?

I think this is more of a "Bark at the Moon" kind of deal.

7 hours ago, Papi said:

I fully expect the political pendulum to continue swinging back toward the Democrats given the absolutely awful performance of Trump, who is driving people away from him and the GOP in droves. 

It's not just Trump, it's the GOP leadership in Congress.

20 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

Didn't trump lose virginia? ......

Didn't they already have a democratic governor and this guy was the incumbent lt governor? .....

Wasn't the dem always winning in the polls? .....

Was that really a surprise? ......

Exactly. Dems have been so impotent at the ballot box lately it's major news when they win when they're supposed to win.

Talk about setting the bar low.

3 minutes ago, boink said:

Exactly. Dems have been so impotent at the ballot box lately it's major news when they win when they're supposed to win.

NC will be the next state to go blue. 

7 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

That’s a laugh

12 minutes ago, boink said:

Last night they won in places where the dems haven’t won in a century but sure, keep your head in the sand

7 hours ago, Cameron said:

Which party got elected dog catcher?

22 hours ago, soulflower said:

Also, the Democrat, Phil Murphy won Chris Christie’s seat in NJ. 

I guess the GOP will have to come up with some better ideas than fearmongering over Immigrants 

Also, VA elected a Transgender person to their House of Delegates

It would have been shocking had Republicans won either race in hard core Democrat strongholds in an off presidential election year.  I mean the Democrats didn't seize control over Wyoming the year after Obama won.  

49 minutes ago, boink said:

Democrats typically don't turn out for off year elections like Republicans do. They did in Virginia last night. G got the same % as Trump among working class white voters. Big swing was suburban voters, a critical voting block in swing states.

And M was a pretty poor candidate.

Like I said, I’m a VA resident. It’s not a blue state. Republican delegates who had no business losing lost yesterday. Dems weren’t expected to gain more than 6 seats. They gained 15.

21 minutes ago, jdsample said:

It would have been shocking had Republicans won either race in hard core Democrat strongholds in an off presidential election year.  I mean the Democrats didn't seize control over Wyoming the year after Obama won.  

NJ was an easy win. Christie had fallen to an approval rating that pretty much reflected his immediate family and friends.

VA is a purple state that had a huge state legislature R majority, gerrymandering partly responsible. That swung hugely. And more critically the Dems turned out, which is atypical in off year elections.

The Rs will be foolish not to take this as a bad omen.

Me? Realize I'm one insignificant voter but I did something yesterday I haven't done in 45 years of voting. I voted straight D. Of course I don't live in VA, but given the pick ups in the state legislature, I suspect a lot of voters there did the same.

On the other hand, the Ds shouldn't be complacent. Trump's base will hold onto their support of him like grim death.

Don't know if you saw this article. Somewhat anecdotal but astounding.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/08/donald-trump-johnstown-pennsylvania-supporters-215800

Edited by ms maggie

8 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

First of all the part in bold is just flat out bullcrap.

Secondly, the problem isn't that they are cowards it's that they have run face first into the harsh reality that the stuff they promised is so God awful that nobody wants it.

8 hours ago, Eastside Terp said:

I think the problem is that they'd been selling a dream world for 8 years and then reality hit.  Repealing Obamacare was supposed to be the greatest thing ever until people saw the replacement.

Democrats pick up two governorships in two blue states. In other news, water is wet. 

The bureaucrats in northern Virginia, and the underclass in Richmond and Newark NJ were never going to vote Republican.  Democrats were bound historically to pick up some seats, but the blue tidal wave is pure fantasy.

Edited by volperdinger