Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

Target closing Mondawmin store

86 posts in this topic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-target-closing-mondawmin-20171107-story.html

Target will close its store in Mondawmin Mall in February, one of a dozen locations around the country slated to shut their doors, the retailer said Tuesday.  The mass discounter, a key anchor in the mall’s revitalization in 2008, will close Feb. 3.

“This decision was not made lightly,” said Kristy Welker, a Target spokeswoman. “We have a rigorous process in place to evaluate the performance of every store on an annual basis, closing or relocating underperforming locations as needed.”

Sorry to hear that.

“This decision was not made lightly,” said Kristy Welker, a Target spokeswoman. “We have a rigorous process in place to evaluate the performance of every store on an annual basis, closing or relocating underperforming locations as needed.”

Look up what they call in the Business world "Leakage".

there goes the "Renaissance" of Mondawmin

There goes the tax incentive money.  The State and city need to start putting more controls on those contracts.

4 hours ago, boink said:

there goes the "Renaissance" of Mondawmin

I wouldn't say that. There's been more development since the Target. A TGIFriday's and new apartment construction. http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-metro-heights-20170629-story.html and there's still Marshall's and Shoppers acting as anchors. I'd say Ross too, but I never go in that store...

I'm more  concerned with what they're going to put in that space. This really does suck as that Target is on the way home for me from work. I stopped there often.

2 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

I wouldn't say that. There's been more development since the Target. A TGIFriday's and new apartment construction. http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-metro-heights-20170629-story.html and there's still Marshall's and Shoppers acting as anchors. I'd say Ross too, but I never go in that store...

I'm more  concerned with what they're going to put in that space. This really does suck as that Target is on the way home for me from work. I stopped there often.

Well we don't know the contracts between them and the state/etc. And Target according to the article actually owns the store. Maybe a deal could be struck for the state/city to take it over?

Hows this fo a win win. Obviously it a very large store. Turn it into the Mond. Civic/Socal/Education center. And put in...........

• Various social service depts
  • A clinic
  • A college class annex for night and weekend classes
  • A vo-tech area for skills like plumbing, electricity, auto repair (loading dock area would be perfect)
  • A recreation center complete with basketball courts (an NO I am not being racist....it is obvious to a blind pig that is the sport of choice)
  • Maybe a food pantry...soup kitchen ...especially the weekends or holidays for the kids home from school
  • After school tutoring and programs.

JMTs

Edited by Guido2

They already have several government offices there.  I think there's even a Social Services office here.  Maybe they could add another church or two and put them in the Target space.

1 hour ago, Guido2 said:

Well we don't know the contracts between them and the state/etc. And Target according to the article actually owns the store. Maybe a deal could be struck for the state/city to take it over?

Hows this fo a win win. Obviously it a very large store. Turn it into the Mond. Civic/Socal/Education center. And put in...........

• Various social service depts
  • A clinic
  • A college class annex for night and weekend classes
  • A vo-tech area for skills like plumbing, electricity, auto repair (loading dock area would be perfect)
  • A recreation center complete with basketball courts (an NO I am not being racist....it is obvious to a blind pig that is the sport of choice)
  • Maybe a food pantry...soup kitchen ...especially the weekends or holidays for the kids home from school
  • After school tutoring and programs.

JMTs

I'd rather have a store where I could stop and get cat food and Blue dog food. They JUST started selling Blue too. SMH...guess I'll have to trek out to Catonsville for PetSmart again. Or there's always PetValue, but that's a little more expensive. 

23 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

I'd rather have a store where I could stop and get cat food and Blue dog food. They JUST started selling Blue too. SMH...guess I'll have to trek out to Catonsville for PetSmart again. Or there's always PetValue, but that's a little more expensive. 

Blue or Blue Buffalo?

If it's Blue Buffalo you can order that from Amazon and have it delivered to your door.  And it's priced right.

Just now, jonsensback said:

Blue or Blue Buffalo?

If it's Blue Buffalo you can order that from Amazon and have it delivered to your door.  And it's priced right.

Blue Buffalo. Good point.

Chewy.com....and auto-ship

Sounds like the demand was there.  Obviously they did the research and crunched the numbers.  Why close a store in a high densirty area?  I would assume that internet shopping has decreased sales in general but at this store more than others? 

6 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

Wow wooo wwhoooaaahhhhh. Your are valuing cat food and your convenience....instead of what I suggested....which I really meant...I think it would be a great idea. Think how it would help that area.

Signed very surprised.

It's a sad thing for the decent people, but it's not at all surprising. When you have a riot at your location, the effects are long term. Such a disturbance will obviously end the relationship with many potential customers. I saw this with Golden Ring mall in the late 70's, and it's happening to White Marsh mall. There comes a tipping point where normal people are uncomfortable, and it kills the business.

1 hour ago, Bawlmerian said:

Sounds like the demand was there.  Obviously they did the research and crunched the numbers.  Why close a store in a high densirty area?  I would assume that internet shopping has decreased sales in general but at this store more than others? 

Also, incredible theft rates and liability will often make a business reconsider a location. These places are all about bottom line, as they should be. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bs-bz-target-reaction-20171108-story.html

Elijah Jackson, who lives in the area, said that without the Target, it will be harder for residents — especially those who do not have a car — to get essentials.  “There’s not too many stores where you can find everything that’s within walking distance of the bus line,” Jackson said. “They’ve got everything in one place.”

Pinkett said he would like to see the space filled by another retailer or possibly turned into a marketplace with a mix of smaller retailers.  Pugh suggested Tuesday that the city think outside the box about how to make the space an asset to the community, perhaps as a bowling alley or a movie theater.

5 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

It completely sucks for the decent people. We're a big fan of Target, and I understand that guys reaction. 

But a bowling alley? Sort of wizzes me off, hearing such suggestions from the Mayor. Is it possible she doesn't understand why this location is failing?  I can't believe that.

If Target is pulling out, what makes her think that a different business would do better?  Target is about everyman as it gets. 

I'm sorry, I know I'm cynical, but if a Target won't work, a bowling alley for sure won't. You'd have to be a really bad business person to invest in any place where a Target does not think it's worth it. 

In many places in this area, people are their own worst enemy, driving out good businesses, leaving the decent people with less options.

10 hours ago, pepper said:

Also, incredible theft rates and liability will often make a business reconsider a location. These places are all about bottom line, as they should be. 

Theft. They call that "Leakage" on the books. When there's too much of that, it's time to go. It is the Bottom Line.

Just now, Bartman said:

Theft. They call that "Leakage" on the books. When there's too much of that, it's time to go. It is the Bottom Line.

The other day I was at Walmart at Golden Ring . I asked the cashier when they were going to put self checkout in the store.

She laughed and said "Never. We are already being robbed blind and putting self check-out in would put us out of business."

Massive leakage!!!

This is bad news.  I thought business was good at that Target.  I guess I will start going to the Target in Canton more.

12 hours ago, pepper said:

It completely sucks for the decent people. We're a big fan of Target, and I understand that guys reaction. 

But a bowling alley? Sort of wizzes me off, hearing such suggestions from the Mayor. Is it possible she doesn't understand why this location is failing?  I can't believe that.

If Target is pulling out, what makes her think that a different business would do better?  Target is about everyman as it gets. 

I'm sorry, I know I'm cynical, but if a Target won't work, a bowling alley for sure won't. You'd have to be a really bad business person to invest in any place where a Target does not think it's worth it. 

In many places in this area, people are their own worst enemy, driving out good businesses, leaving the decent people with less options.

Other businesses are doing well there. Target's closing 12 stores nationwide. They're competing with Amazon Costco WalMart so each location has stringent profitability margins.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/07/target-to-close-a-dozen-underperforming-stores.html

A movie theater and/or a bowling alley isn't a bad idea actually, but we'll still need something to replace the niche the Target filled.

2 hours ago, Buford said:

The other day I was at Walmart at Golden Ring . I asked the cashier when they were going to put self checkout in the store.

She laughed and said "Never. We are already being robbed blind and putting self check-out in would put us out of business."

Massive leakage!!!

The Mondawmin Target has self check out too. lol

14 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Wow wooo wwhoooaaahhhhh. Your are valuing cat food and your convenience....instead of what I suggested....which I really meant...I think it would be a great idea. Think how it would help that area.

Signed very surprised.

That's not what's needed. Coppin is right across the street with a new gym and athletic field. So is Douglass high school. The Ravens just built them a state of the art football field...people in the area have to shop. Not everyone needs a social worker, but everyone does need to be able to buy toothpaste. :rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, bogart said:

This is bad news.  I thought business was good at that Target.  I guess I will start going to the Target in Canton more.

I sometimes drive into the city if it's on my way and stop at the one at Canton Crossing.  They never seem too busy.  I prefer the one in White Marsh and it always seems busier. 

I wonder how the one in Glen Burnie does.  The last time I went to that mall near there the mall itself was basically an empty shell of it's former self, if it's even still open.