Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
naive

“Angry, White And American,”

65 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, ms maggie said:

Well the only saving grace here is that the UK has its own strain of this malignancy--white nationalism, neo Nazis.

I hope this documentary is aired here.  The best antidote to this filth is sunshine. 

I hope to see it too. Americans need to see it. 

“When I encountered Spencer at Montgomery Bell park, he emerged carrying a glass of what smelled like bourbon and an entourage of adoring bigots soon surrounded me in the car park,” Younge wrote. “More odious troll than eloquent polemicist, he claimed, among other things, that Africans had benefited from white supremacy and that, despite having been banned from 26 European countries, Europe would always be more his home than mine.”

http://thegrio.com/2017/11/07/black-journalist-schools-alt-right-leader-richard-spencer-during-interview/

This summer, the British writer traveled from Maine to Mississippi for The Guardian  in an effort to understand why why American voters had gone from choosing Barack Obama as their first black president to electing the likes of Donald Trump.

We may even learn something about ourselves.

Here is the article that ran in The Guardian.

This summer, I took a trip through white America, driving from Maine (the whitest state) to Mississippi (the blackest), to flip the script. Talking only to white people, I attended a white supremacist conference, accompanied an emergency health worker who sought to revive people who had overdosed, and went to a comedy club in the French Quarter of New Orleans to see the “Liberal Redneck” perform. I was told the Ku Klux Klan were liberals (they weren’t), that Confederate general Robert E Lee didn’t own slaves (he did) and that I could not be British because I’m black (I am).

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/06/my-travels-in-white-america-a-land-of-anxiety-division-and-pockets-of-pain

Pretty intense article and I'm sure his journey was too. 

17 minutes ago, naive said:

This summer, I took a trip through white America, driving from Maine (the whitest state) to Mississippi (the blackest), to flip the script. Talking only to white people, I attended a white supremacist conference, accompanied an emergency health worker who sought to revive people who had overdosed, and went to a comedy club in the French Quarter of New Orleans to see the “Liberal Redneck” perform. I was told the Ku Klux Klan were liberals (they weren’t), that Confederate general Robert E Lee didn’t own slaves (he did) and that I could not be British because I’m black (I am).

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/nov/06/my-travels-in-white-america-a-land-of-anxiety-division-and-pockets-of-pain

Thank God he survived the trip!  

23 minutes ago, naive said:

If that cornball went to Sandtown he would be told he is not black.

Did he already reconcile Britain’s colonial atrocities against the brown people of the globe?  

Edited by RileyMartin

4 minutes ago, workerbee said:

Thank God he survived the trip!  

He's braver than me. You couldn't pay me to go to Mississippi.

5 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Really? It’s pretty popular among the geriatric people from the NE looking to avoid paying their fair share of taxes in retirement. 

2 minutes ago, RileyMartin said:

Really? It’s pretty popular among the geriatric people from the NE looking to avoid paying their fair share of taxes in retirement. 

Good for them. They can have it. 

People need to get their head out of the slavery instilled [butts]. This story goes well beyond that.

Edited by Baltimatt

28 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Spent time in MS back in the 90s up thru about 2004. The people of that state were ill served when the Dems were in power and nothing changed once the Rs took hold. The poverty is heart breaking.

You almost have to try to be that bad at governing.

1 hour ago, naive said:

People need to get their head out of the slavery instilled [butts]. This story goes well beyond that.

People are too easily led and manipulated. Politicians have learned that the blame game works. Lazy, despicable bastards.

Confederate monuments? Who the hell cares? What difference does it make? People in a given locality want them down, great. If not, fine. Personally I would go with take them down. But it certainly wouldn't affect my vote.

Edited by Baltimatt
Language in quote

2 hours ago, ms maggie said:

People are too easily led and manipulated. Politicians have learned that the blame game works. Lazy, despicable bastards.

Confederate monuments? Who the hell cares? What difference does it make? People in a given locality want them down, great. If not, fine. Personally I would go with take them down. But it certainly wouldn't affect my vote.

The money spent on removing Confederate monuments would be better spent serving the poor. Given a choice, I bet poor folks would agree.

I grew up poor. When you and your family are scrapping every week to buy food and keep the house warm, politics seem a distant distraction. 

Edited by FatBoy

3 hours ago, hst2 said:

Really, the nation was eager to push that glory under the rug in the name of white supremacy.

That is the real tragedy.

The whole era of slavery, civil war and reconstruction was a tragedy. Those that survived were fortunate. 

34 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

The whole era of slavery, civil war and reconstruction was a tragedy. Those that survived were fortunate. 

As a nation we whitewashed the horror of slavery for far too long.

Gone with the Wind?  Blockbuster nearly 80 years after abolition, presented the travesty of "happy darkies".

Hell it wasn't til the 60s that popular culture dealt with the issue of slavery and Jim Crow: Confessions of Nat Turner, Invisible Man, Raisin in the Sun.

The key IMO is just face up to it. Is it still relevant? Sure. As a learning experience. 

I object to people who deny it still echoes in our society. I also object to people who wallow in it.

Edited by ms maggie

20 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

As a nation we whitewashed the horror of slavery for far too long.

Gone with the Wind?  Blockbuster nearly 80 years after abolition, presented the travesty of "happy darkies".

Hell it wasn't til the 60s that popular culture dealt with the issue of slavery and Jim Crow: Confessions of Nat Turner, Invisible Man, Raisin in the Sun.

The key IMO is just face up to it. Is it still relevant? Sure. As a learning experience. 

I object to people who deny it still echoes in our society. I also object to people who wallow in it.

We all have our cross to bear. From what I understand, the Great Depression was no party. 

6 hours ago, FatBoy said:

Reconstruction was a time of great promise, but it was dashed away.

15 hours ago, FatBoy said:

This will sound stupid, but that's OK because it's well within character for me.

What would it take for you to call it even?

For it to stop. Racists saying sorry is as I described in my previous post.

Edited by EgyptKang

8 hours ago, FatBoy said:

Reconstruction rivaled slavery with the wickedness that ensued. There were probably more hangings of blacks during that time than during slavery.

Edited by EgyptKang

I wonder if our friend across the pond will tune in tonight?

13 hours ago, RileyMartin said:

Did he already reconcile Britain’s colonial atrocities against the brown people of the globe?  

Britain carried those on way longer. The people in India & South Africa remember.

Don't Blame Me for Slavery! All my Blood came in thru Riker's Island in NY in the 1890's from Germany & Poland with whatever Bags & Rags they came with, I vaguely remember as a child one Great Grandmother who only spoke German and another who only spoke Polish. I'm just the 3rd generation born here in the US.

1 hour ago, naive said:

I wonder if our friend across the pond will tune in tonight?

He will be recording it to watch later.

14 hours ago, RileyMartin said:

I know. He'd be called "black AS AMOFO" judging from his pic.

1 hour ago, WKDWZD said:

He will be recording it to watch later.

Be interesting to hear what you think of the show.

Hopefully BBC America will pick it up and broadcast it here.

51 minutes ago, naive said:

Be interesting to hear what you think of the show.

Hopefully BBC America will pick it up and broadcast it here.

Can you view this? Link

Also, if you use a British proxy server, you might be able to watch it live on All 4

21 hours ago, Sprightly said:

I never once owned a slave. 

And yet some people here have claimed over the last few weeks that, "Oh! We don't harp about slavery! We don't blame slavery!" "We blame racists, racist policies, attitudes, etc. but no, not slavery!"

Bull.

That's the problem. You and your ilk feel because you never owned slaves that racism ended. You somehow believe you should be able to nonchalantly discriminate against blacks and blacks should just say " ohh that's just normal. Racism will always be around so we should just let them curb our rights treat us like crap without a fight"