Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
PinkFlamingo

Since these shootings, I look at people differently.

68 posts in this topic

Today while I was grocery shopping and waiting at the deli, I found myself scrutinizing other shoppers differently than usual. It happened slowly, but I went from seeing a guy in his 30s shopping with his elderly mother, to wondering  "is he odd, why are his hands in his pockets? If he pulled out a gun I'm the closest to him...he would shoot me first."

Have you changed the way you see people? I don't like the thoughts that have creeped into my head. :mellow:

Edited by PinkFlamingo

I was just talking about this with my sister-in-law.  We have changed in how we look and act with strangers but surprisingly, we found that we were nicer to them.  I complemented complete strangers for silly things like the hat he had on and some woman's shoes.  It was different but I found myself talking to the strangers at the deli case.  Several of us ended up laughing and joking while waiting for our lunch meats.  It was a great feeling.  My sister-in-law had similar experiences too.

Sometime, with a particularly strong strain of Sativa, and after a perhaps-too-lengthy session, I look at people in a 'funny way'.

50 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

I was just talking about this with my sister-in-law.  We have changed in how we look and act with strangers but surprisingly, we found that we were nicer to them.  I complemented complete strangers for silly things like the hat he had on and some woman's shoes.  It was different but I found myself talking to the strangers at the deli case.  Several of us ended up laughing and joking while waiting for our lunch meats.  It was a great feeling.  My sister-in-law had similar experiences too.

Sounds like profiling to me.

4 minutes ago, boink said:

Sounds like profiling to me.

Wow, if being nice to people is now profiling, no wonder this country has a problem with hate.  

1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Today while I was grocery shopping and waiting at the deli, I found myself scrutinizing other shoppers differently than usual. It happened slowly, but I went from seeing a guy in his 30s shopping with his elderly mother, to wondering  "is he odd, why are his hands in his pockets? If he pulled out a gun I'm the closest to him...he would shoot me first."

Have you changed the way you see people? I don't like the thoughts that have creeped into my head. :mellow:

Thats really unfortunate. But understandable.

Armed nation.

59 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

I've always talked to strangers so that hasn't changed. I can strike up a conversation anywhere...and people tend to talk to me easily. But today was different...I was seeing people (particularly men) differently.

5 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

I've always talked to strangers so that hasn't changed. I can strike up a conversation anywhere...and people tend to talk to me easily. But today was different...I was seeing people (particularly men) differently.

I'm sorry for you for that although I do understand how it affects some people.

11 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Maybe it’s time to start seeing someone. 

If you do end up getting shot by a heavily armed domestic abuser, focus on how wonderful it is that they had the freedom to deny your freedom by killing you with a hail of gawd-blessed American freedom bullets.

That should make it all go down easier.

Edited by Calamari

1 hour ago, bmorepunk said:

I see dead people. All the time.

Ahhh... been to the DNC leadership council have you?  :D

2 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

I was brought up as good old NJ 50-60's kid. Yes mam yes sir.....always open the door for the other person....etc.

I moved here to MD in the 80's NJ had thrown manners out the window....MD was like stepping back in time...manners...talking to other people....then that faded.....

But I agree with you ... I am seeing more Thanks and smiles in the last few months across all races.

So I think you are spot on.

Out of the ashes....................

Edited by Guido2

2 hours ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Well what you are thinking is not rare....it tends to happen once a person is pushed out of their comfort zone...that is the rules/experiences you had ....no longer seem to apply...so your brain rewiring itself is .... to me is.....well normal. IMHO.

And no I am not a Dr......just an experience giver.

Edited by Guido2

21 minutes ago, Calamari said:

If you do end up getting shot by a heavily armed domestic abuser, focus on how wonderful it is that they had the freedom to deny your freedom by killing you with a hail of gawd-blessed American freedom bullets.

That should make it all go down easier.

That a damned stupid statement. 

Just now, PinkFlamingo said:

That a damned stupid statement. 

Beats "Thoughts & Prayers!" :lol:

I don't look at people differently. But I have started to talk to people I know who own guns. I've yet to find one who thinks we don't need better gun restrictions. My brother has been hunting, deer and turkey, since he was a kid. He now is more into bow deer hunting but hunted with a rifle for years.

He's the one who said to me, re assault type rifles: how many deer do you want to shoot?

My brother in law, grew up on a farm in Alabama, did a lot of hunting as a kid, served in the Marines, has his grandfather's collection of antique arms. About to have a grandchild and although his guns have been under lock forever, is now moving them to a storage area. Just doesn't want them around with a little one roaming the house.

Neighbor enjoys target shooting. Taught his kids and now grandkids.

None of these people are"gun grabbers". But they are uniformly disgusted that an interest of theirs is leveraged by the NRA to promote crazy, irresponsible gun policies. And none of them buy into the "good guy with a gun scenario". As my neighbor said: "I'm a damn good marksman. On the shooting range. Beyond that, I'm smart enough to realize the shooting range is a whole lot different than these kinds of scenarios."

I like to remind myself that most gun owners are responsible, and take that responsibility deadly serious.

9 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I was brought up as good old NJ 50-60's kid. Yes mam yes sir.....always open the door for the other person....etc.

I moved here to MD in the 80's NJ had thrown manners out the window....MD was like stepping back in time...manners...talking to other people....then that faded.....

But I agree with you ... I am seeing more Thanks and smiles in the last few months across all races.

So I think you are spot on.

Out of the ashes....................

Agree!

I don't but then again I'm not out in "public" all that much. Work in a place where I have a Fed issued ID (FBI Check), a State issued ID (MD State Police Check) and a Co ID to get on the Gated property. The Public basically isn't allowed. My routine for food shopping is I'm up at my usual time Early even on Sat so I'm in & out of the food store when they open at 7 when if there's a Dozen people besides me in there that early it's a Lot! Hardly go anywhere else much. In Dec will be in LV and have no worries there. Other than the recent Tragedy there, I'm not in any large groups like that. I've seen the LV cops & Metro downtown clamp down on troublemakers so Fast & Hard the few times I saw any kind of possible trouble starting there it makes your head spin. Where did They come from! I don't walk around anywhere Worrying.

Edited by Bartman

I haven't found that I look differently at people in general. Although I haven't been to any large venues lately. Or church. I have become hyper-aware during my travels around Baltimore. 

4 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Well what you are thinking is not rare....it tends to happen once a person is pushed out of their comfort zone...that is the rules/experiences you had ....no longer seem to apply...so your brain rewiring itself is .... to me is.....well normal. IMHO.

And no I am not a Dr......just an experience giver.

It's that those poor people in Texas were in their most comfortable place; their church. A small town church. With family and friends. They all knew one another.

I consider my town here in Harford Co to be a small town, though not quite as small as the one in Texas. I'm comfortable wherever I go in town and run into people I know everywhere. I don't want to rewire. We moved here from Baltimore for a reason. 

I doubt if I'll always look differently at people...at least I hope not. But the church shootings have definitely made me think different thoughts while out and about.