Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dshawg1

Phillies Targeting Tillman

16 posts in this topic

So...the Phillies have taken more of our scouts and scouting personnel this offseason (strange..) AND...we are already terribly under most MLB teams in terms of scouting personnel AND our organization clearly has systematic issues AND we are being associated with FA pitchers that are garbage...

Listen. Most of us know what is going on here. Does anyone here NOT think TIllman would excel with another organization? I would be willing to bet he wins 10 games a minimum, barring injury, anywhere else. 

At what point does this organization actually address the issues at hand? 

You know the Phillies (and other teams) realize broken pitchers here are worth the risk because it's organization specific with us. Just very maddening. 

Being an O's fan is pretty much a life of misery. If I could clear the lifetime build up of cookies in my O's cache, I'd do it in an instant, and move on to another team. The problem begins and ends with the ownership group, most notably, the principle owner, but they're all culpable for the fact that this team has spent most of the last 20 years as an also ran. 

When Slide was moaning about how the (then) current state of being competitive wasn't sustainable, I only had one thing to say. And that was, you're most probably right. So why spend these fun days worrying about how they won't last very long. And sure enough, they're back in the cellar, with no reasonable expectation that their status will improve in the near future. 

So I'll return to the routine I was accustomed to for the 15 year losing streak. I'll take off for opening day, because the "pomp and circumstance" and energy level is the closest the O's will ever get to the World Series. Opening day is our World Series. I'll read about their misery, throughout the season. Maybe I'll go to a couple of games since I will once again be able to buy $5 student night tix, and move down to one of the many, empty premium seats. And I'll be here to commiserate with the other poor souls who carry the heavy burden that comes with being an O's fan. In the meantime, I'll watch lots of movies and documentaries over the summers, just like the bad old days.     

4 hours ago, weird-O said:

Being an O's fan is pretty much a life of misery. If I could clear the lifetime build up of cookies in my O's cache, I'd do it in an instant, and move on to another team. The problem begins and ends with the ownership group, most notably, the principle owner, but they're all culpable for the fact that this team has spent most of the last 20 years as an also ran. 

When Slide was moaning about how the (then) current state of being competitive wasn't sustainable, I only had one thing to say. And that was, you're most probably right. So why spend these fun days worrying about how they won't last very long. And sure enough, they're back in the cellar, with no reasonable expectation that their status will improve in the near future. 

So I'll return to the routine I was accustomed to for the 15 year losing streak. I'll take off for opening day, because the "pomp and circumstance" and energy level is the closest the O's will ever get to the World Series. Opening day is our World Series. I'll read about their misery, throughout the season. Maybe I'll go to a couple of games since I will once again be able to buy $5 student night tix, and move down to one of the many, empty premium seats. And I'll be here to commiserate with the other poor souls who carry the heavy burden that comes with being an O's fan. In the meantime, I'll watch lots of movies and documentaries over the summers, just like the bad old days.     

Weird 

I guess ill be seeing you on fri nights lol

5 minutes ago, bleedingorangeandblack said:

Weird 

I guess ill be seeing you on fri nights lol

;)

The Orioles won't change until the Angelos family is out of the picture. My thin hope is that the tax situation forces a sale. That is reason enough to oppose Trump's idea for enriching his family by eliminating the estate tax. :)

On 11/9/2017 at 4:21 PM, Evil Yoda said:

The Orioles won't change until the Angelos family is out of the picture. My thin hope is that the tax situation forces a sale. That is reason enough to oppose Trump's idea for enriching his family by eliminating the estate tax. :)

& AMT.

On 11/9/2017 at 4:21 PM, Evil Yoda said:

Major League owners also have the right to withhold approval of Angelos's heirs owning the team. Angelos isn't the most popular figure in most major league parlors, so it isn't beyond reason to think that the rest of MLB ownership wouldn't try to and rid itself of the Angelos family if and when they are given the opportunity.

22 hours ago, mdrunning said:

Major League owners also have the right to withhold approval of Angelos's heirs owning the team. Angelos isn't the most popular figure in most major league parlors, so it isn't beyond reason to think that the rest of MLB ownership wouldn't try to and rid itself of the Angelos family if and when they are given the opportunity.

I'm not certain they would, without some kind of excellent reason. Because they don't want to set the precedent, lest someone do that to them. Sure, the NBA kicked Sterling out, but what he did is worse than anything Angelos has done. All Angelos has done is not care (apparently) whether his team wins or not. Some owners with long memories might remember that Angelos burnished his populist credibility a bit during the strike, but that was years ago. And the smart ones will give credit to Cal Ripken, who played for Angelos, for rekindling fan interest, too.

Edited by Evil Yoda

You can almost guarantee that if/ when Tillman signs elsewhere he’ll have some success, whereas if the O’s bring him back he’ll have another beyond dismal season. So predictable it’s sad 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

17 hours ago, BayAreaBmore said:

You can almost guarantee that if/ when Tillman signs elsewhere he’ll have some success, whereas if the O’s bring him back he’ll have another beyond dismal season. So predictable it’s sad 

Yes, yes it is. You would think AT SOME POINT....they would work to address this problem after 10+ years...

HIRE MORE SCOUTS.

HIRE BETTER SCOUTS.

SCOUTS ARE CHEAP! No brainer.

Hire the best and maybe they will tell you not to sign Chris Davis to an albatross of a contract:) ha ha

2 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

Yes, yes it is. You would think AT SOME POINT....they would work to address this problem after 10+ years...

HIRE MORE SCOUTS.

HIRE BETTER SCOUTS.

SCOUTS ARE CHEAP! No brainer.

Hire the best and maybe they will tell you not to sign Chris Davis to an albatross of a contract:) ha ha

They could have hired me for that, forget the best :D

I don't understand the low numbers of scouts, and lack of international scouting efforts, and the poor instructional quality of the farm system. You can buy a lot of scouts and instructors, good ones, for what a single poor decision (Chris Davis, I love you, but you're stealing your paycheck) costs. Of course, Angelos is marketing focused, not results focused (I assume), and in that context Chris Davis is probably a good decision, at least when initially signed. He stimulated ticket sales. I suspect the opposite is now true. One could argue that Angelos should have seen that coming, but Father Time is not known for sending telegraphs to the people he comes for, or their employers.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 8:31 PM, johnpolitics said:

I wish the Braves would target Tillman for 2 years. 

You guys can have him.  Good luck watching that curve ball get hammered at a .480 clip.  And one of his fastballs got hit at over a .400 clip.  No off season work is going to fix a shot shoulder. Cant come over the top any more.  

2 hours ago, CROUSEMAN said:

You guys can have him.  Good luck watching that curve ball get hammered at a .480 clip.  And one of his fastballs got hit at over a .400 clip.  No off season work is going to fix a shot shoulder. Cant come over the top any more.  

You just might eat your words someday. ;)

Tillman looked washed up. Unless he was battling some undisclosed injury from which he will make a spectacular off-season recovery, I am not interested in having him return.