Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

13 city high schools have zero students proficient in math

57 posts in this topic

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-baltimore/13-baltimore-city-high-schools-zero-students-proficient-in-math

An alarming discovery coming out of City Schools. Project Baltimore analyzed 2017 state testing data and found one-third of High Schools in Baltimore, last year, had zero students proficient in math.

…Project Baltimore analyzed 2017 state test scores released this fall. We paged through 16,000 lines of data and uncovered this: Of Baltimore City’s 39 High Schools, 13 had zero students proficient in math.

Digging further, we found another six high schools where one percent tested proficient. Add it up – in half the high schools in Baltimore City, 3804 students took the state test, 14 were proficient in math.

How in the world is that even possible?  This is beyond horrible. 

This doesn't bode well for the future of these students or the city.  I wonder how much better the Baltimore County schools are by the area where they're located.   

I can't believe that language proficiency is all that much better, especially at schools like Patterson High, which is listed in the story, since many of their students don't even seem to speak English. 

2 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

There was an encouraging part of that story:  The Baltimore Collegiate School for Boys.  It is not a high school but a charter school for boys in 4th through 8th grades.

Yep - and sadly there are people in high political office who are opposed to charter schools, and like to bang on Governor Hogan for his support for them. Kind of makes you wonder why that is, when it seems that time and again charter schools yield much better results than some parts of our public school systems. 

4 minutes ago, Buford said:

Who needs math anyway..:rolleyes::D

Wonder how these young men and women pillars of their community figure out after they assault and steal from someone how to gang divides the stolen items with such low math knowledge.

27 minutes ago, Eastsider said:

Wonder how these young men and women pillars of their community figure out after they assault and steal from someone how to gang divides the stolen items with such low math knowledge.

Probably why they end up shooting each other. 

31 minutes ago, Eastsider said:

And this coming from a cop.  SMH

Went through city public schools in the 80s - early 90s.  There were always more than a few kids in every grade that got shoved along despite issues like never coming to school, never doing homework, never passing a test, never learning to read, etc.  This is a decades old problem...

1 hour ago, Eastsider said:

Is this English?

This is one of the many facets of the Baltimore City school system that nobody wants to talk about because it would be considered racist.

However, as they keep turning out functional illiterates there are no jobs for which they qualify but the most menial. This destroys the myth that "if there were enough jobs there wouldn't be so much crime." Rather than take the menial jobs they turn to the lucrative drug trade and the cycle repeats itself year after year.

Meanwhile, of course, the superintendent and top administrators rake in big-time salaries while producing a very poor product.  Try that in private business and see what happens.

But of course the schools are not a business, they are too important to be run as such.They are part of teh vicious cycle of low expectiations in school and low expectations of a successful working life. Not sure which came first and an analysis at this point may not even be helpful. Did the dissapearance of the American working class economy come create a culture where education does not matter or vice versa. 

Any way you slice it is a generational problem in the city, and in many places to turn around poor performing schools. Since the Coleman report in the 1980's we have known that 75% of the determining factors of a child's education occur outside of the school building. 

5 minutes ago, retired said:

This is one of the many facets of the Baltimore City school system that nobody wants to talk about because it would be considered racist.

However, as they keep turning out functional illiterates there are no jobs for which they qualify but the most menial. This destroys the myth that "if there were enough jobs there wouldn't be so much crime." Rather than take the menial jobs they turn to the lucrative drug trade and the cycle repeats itself year after year.

Meanwhile, of course, the superintendent and top administrators rake in big-time salaries while producing a very poor product.  Try that in private business and see what happens.

Wow!

Talk about hitting the nail on the head!

16 minutes ago, retired said:

Agreed. People always say how there are no jobs in Baltimore. It's not that there aren't decent paying jobs, it's just that too much of the citizenry doesn't qualify for them. 

5 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-baltimore/13-baltimore-city-high-schools-zero-students-proficient-in-math

This doesn't bode well for the future of these students or the city.  I wonder how much better the Baltimore County schools are by the area where they're located.   

I can't believe that language proficiency is all that much better, especially at schools like Patterson High, which is listed in the story, since many of their students don't even seem to speak English. 

10 usually wins against one or even two.  How much more math do you need?

4 hours ago, bogart said:

And this coming from a cop.  SMH

And people here wonder why city residents don’t trust the police.:rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

Of Baltimore City’s 39 High Schools, 13 had zero students proficient in math.

Digging further, we found another six high schools where one percent tested proficient.

Raising rocket scientists, aren't we?  Wonder what these wizards are going to do when they reach drinking age (21) and graduate.

3 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

It's not that there aren't decent paying jobs, it's just that too much of the citizenry doesn't qualify for them. 

Or want to work to begin with!

Wait, shouldn't "common core" have fixed this problem?  

Edited by Hank Moody

2 minutes ago, Hank Moody said:

Wait, shouldn't "common core" have fixed this problem?  

You can lead a horse to water... 

6 hours ago, Buford said:

Who needs math anyway..:rolleyes::D

Bet you anyone of those kids that flunked the math could tell you how to break and cut a brick of coke into X number of 'baggies' in there head in a flash and probably provide the profit numbers.

Edited by Guido2

1 hour ago, workerbee said:

You can lead a horse to water... 

Problem is most of the horses are brain dead.

4 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

Agreed. People always say how there are no jobs in Baltimore. It's not that there aren't decent paying jobs, it's just that too much of the citizenry doesn't qualify for them. 

Wow....you are saying the same thing as this white boy has some time now. Yup not finishing school might or getting a pretend diploma...does cut your employment expectations as does being arrested several times.

Seeing the light finally MM?:lol:

Edited by Guido2

23 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

A truly sad state of affairs.

Ok I am once again going to hate myself in the morning for trying to put a positive spin of this. Since I pretty much get trashed every time I do.

As we all know, the 'push' in MD is for everyone to be college ready. So that entails a much higher level of math (and language) skills than what used to be considered to be 'a well rounded general education'. I am sure that ....strike that ....positive these tests are geared toward the college bound not general education 'old fashion' learning.

Talk about setting someone up for failure. A kid happy to be a carpenter.... may fully understand and appreciate...that math....but the cosine of a triangle between here and the moon? Forget that....no practical application equals no motivation to learn 'cosines'

Prediction; We are starting to see that school systems are recognizing what we ...the unwashed common folk knew all along. SOME PEOPLE ARE MEANT FOR COLLEGE AND OTHERS MEANT FOR THE TRADES. And what was old is new again ....with more vo-tech programs....being brought back.

Lord knows we need more tradesmen.

Hopefully the 'testing obsessed' geniuses from on high will eventually figure that out. And come up with 'two' tests.

So in many ways I DO NOT blame the kids as much as I blame the system.

BTW I had to do all the 'high math' stuff for college and my IT degrees...NOT ONCE did I ever have to apply any of that BS (and I don't mean like in the degree) math during my IT career that spanned  over 30 years.

However I did use an abacus and slide rule early in my career. :D

Edited by Guido2

16 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Wow....you are saying the same thing as this white boy has some time now. Yup not finishing school might or getting a pretend diploma...does cut your employment expectations as does being arrested several times.

Seeing the light finally MM?:lol:

Wow. How about you stop trying to predict how I'm going to react to situations.You don't know me, and it's obvious you don't pay any attention to what I actually say.  You already have pre-conceived notions about who/what you think I am, and the only thing that sticks in that brain of yours are things I say that reinforce your pre-conceived notions. Typical...

Edited by Baltimatt
Personal attack