Ode2Joy

13 city high schools have zero students proficient in math

85 posts in this topic

41 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Wow. How about you stop trying to predict how I'm going to react to situations.You don't know me, and it's obvious you don't pay any attention to what I actually say.  You already have pre-conceived notions about who/what you think I am, and the only thing that sticks in that brain of yours are things I say that reinforce your pre-conceived notions. Typical...

Wow. Just like  you are with me. Especially considering your attempt at trashing me about the Target.

'He who is without sin...........................

Face it MM....you have this 'thing' about me....I don't know why.....maybe it is because I blow up your arguments so many times with facts and logic. Alien concepts to you I guess.

And I say that because I have noted that many times I say A about something and you mouth off saying I am a bigot and racist among other things.

Only to have you say A the exact same A with full support and gusto in subsequent posts....the exact same A that  you attempt to trash me on.

So we have two options here

1. Do we call a truce and move on
  2. Do we continue with this urination match

Personally I prefer #1. I will if you will.

Edited by Guido2

45 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Wow. Just like  you are with me. Especially considering your attempt at trashing me about the Target.

'He who is without sin...........................

Face it MM....you have this 'thing' about me....I don't know why.....maybe it is because I blow up your arguments so many times with facts and logic. Alien concepts to you I guess.

And I say that because I have noted that many times I say A about something and you mouth off saying I am a bigot and racist among other things.

Only to have you say A the exact same A with full support and gusto in subsequent posts....the exact same A that  you attempt to trash me on.

So we have two options here

1. Do we call a truce and move on
  2. Do we continue with this urination match

Personally I prefer #1. I will if you will.

Projection. This is what you do whenever you have nothing else to say. You blow up my posts with facts. Show jjust one where you've done that. On the other hand I could fiund multiple posts of yours where you've demonstrated that you're clueless. Blowing up anyone's posts with facts, is probably the last thing you're likely to do here. 

How about you stop cyberstalking me just to have something to say to me? Are you really that bored? Do you really crave my attention that much?

32 minutes ago, Marshan Man said:

Projection. This is what you do whenever you have nothing else to say. You blow up my posts with facts. Show jjust one where you've done that. On the other hand I could fiund multiple posts of yours where you've demonstrated that you're clueless. Blowing up anyone's posts with facts, is probably the last thing you're likely to do here. 

How about you stop cyberstalking me just to have something to say to me? Are you really that bored? Do you really crave my attention that much?

AMEN TO THAT!! LOL

On 11/9/2017 at 10:29 AM, Ode2Joy said:

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/project-baltimore/13-baltimore-city-high-schools-zero-students-proficient-in-math

How in the world is that even possible?  This is beyond horrible. 

This doesn't bode well for the future of these students or the city.  I wonder how much better the Baltimore County schools are by the area where they're located.   

I can't believe that language proficiency is all that much better, especially at schools like Patterson High, which is listed in the story, since many of their students don't even seem to speak English. 

Yet these students are graduating. What does that say about the teachers, the school, the Board of Education and parents. It appears that the rule of thumb is as long as they graduate who cares if they're dumb. 

5 minutes ago, AugusteDupin said:

Yet these students are graduating. What does that say about the teachers, the school, the Board of Education and parents. It appears that the rule of thumb is as long as they graduate who cares if they're dumb. 

And the reality is that they may not be dumb, they simply are not educated. There is a big difference. Some may be very smart but choose not to accept education, for some variety of reasons, and some may be smart but have simply been lost in a system that caters primarily to the very brightest and has special programs for students with severe challenges. The huge cohort in the middle, some of whom are likely average to very bright, get lost in the vast middle ground of mediocrity of public education. Very sad.

37 minutes ago, Papi said:

And the reality is that they may not be dumb, they simply are not educated. There is a big difference. Some may be very smart but choose not to accept education, for some variety of reasons, and some may be smart but have simply been lost in a system that caters primarily to the very brightest and has special programs for students with severe challenges. The huge cohort in the middle, some of whom are likely average to very bright, get lost in the vast middle ground of mediocrity of public education. Very sad.

This ^

1 hour ago, Papi said:

Pigeonholing kids in the public educational system has existed for decades, and i'll freely admit that it affected my public school education achievement, particularly through the primary years. For many of us college was where we truly learned to think and learn.  We all survived it though, and most of us managed to achieve a modicum of success without being remanded to the custody or the State of Federal government(s). . :)

9 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

So I guess a truce is out of the question. Why does that not surprise me.

Hope the straps on your helmet are nice an tight.

Ohh..... if you think responding and trashing your inane posts is stalking.....you again prove you have no clue.

I offered an olive branch...you threw it away. 

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Papi said:

I agree with you, Papi. I was speculating on the rule of thumb as I can only imagine what a teenager in the city must go through in order to get a quality education. I remember a few years ago, participating as an observer in an outreach program that brought troubled teens together to talk about their life experiences. They spoke about how some teachers in the city school system don't really teach them anything and that there is no structure or ambition to do better. I recall a young man saying that as long as they did not leave a question on a test blank, the teachers would still pass them. There should be a dynamic audit of the city school system, from the top all the way to the janitors. These kids are going to be the generation of city residents. 

10 hours ago, AugusteDupin said:

I agree with you, Papi. I was speculating on the rule of thumb as I can only imagine what a teenager in the city must go through in order to get a quality education. I remember a few years ago, participating as an observer in an outreach program that brought troubled teens together to talk about their life experiences. They spoke about how some teachers in the city school system don't really teach them anything and that there is no structure or ambition to do better. I recall a young man saying that as long as they did not leave a question on a test blank, the teachers would still pass them. There should be a dynamic audit of the city school system, from the top all the way to the janitors. These kids are going to be the generation of city residents. 

http://www.projectpneuma.org/

"BREATHING NEW LIFE"

Well I am  SURE :rolleyes: now that Pugh is calling everyone in  for meetings at 8AM from most all departments....this, ute violence, crime, drugs, illegitimate children  and even the street lights will be fixed. :lol:

Very sad.  City, Poly, Western and down hill fast from there.  

Did OK with Algebra but Trig started getting to me, Calculus? That just gave me a Headache. What the heck are these Squigly Lines and stuff? I can Understand about the Universe down to 10 -43 seconds after the Big Bang, Planck Time and I get it about Quarks, Gluons, Leptons and the rest of the Elementary Particles even without having the Math down. I've read Neil DeGrasse Tyson's books and Lawrence Krauss's "A Universe from Nothing" and it gets Mind Boggling but I can Grasp the Essentials without the Numbers. It's all really Cool even if I can't do That kind of Math. That's good enough for me. At least I Know about those things! Most people Don't. I'm just a Space Nerd I guess. 

5 hours ago, Bartman said:

Did OK with Algebra but Trig started getting to me, Calculus? That just gave me a Headache. What the heck are these Squigly Lines and stuff? I can Understand about the Universe down to 10 -43 seconds after the Big Bang, Planck Time and I get it about Quarks, Gluons, Leptons and the rest of the Elementary Particles even without having the Math down. I've read Neil DeGrasse Tyson's books and Lawrence Krauss's "A Universe from Nothing" and it gets Mind Boggling but I can Grasp the Essentials without the Numbers. It's all really Cool even if I can't do That kind of Math. That's good enough for me. At least I Know about those things! Most people Don't. I'm just a Space Nerd I guess. 

It’s all about you.

22 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Well I am  SURE :rolleyes: now that Pugh is calling everyone in  for meetings at 8AM from most all departments....this, ute violence, crime, drugs, illegitimate children  and even the street lights will be fixed. :lol:

That might be about her new directive to help illegals that get caught.  I mean, it isn't like they need the limited resources for any other problems.

14 hours ago, Bawlmerian said:

I thought those schools were doing OK....and now you are saying they are not? How so...what did i miss here.

39 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

That might be about her new directive to help illegals that get caught.  I mean, it isn't like they need the limited resources for any other problems.

Ohhhhhhhkaay. You got me on that one. Care to connect the dots for me? Directive? From where? I thought Baltimore was a pseudo-sanctuary city.

10 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

I thought those schools were doing OK....and now you are saying they are not? How so...what did i miss here.

Ohhhhhhhhhkaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy.  Pllllllllllllleasssssse ttttttttrrrrryyyyyy toooooo paaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy aaattteeennnntiiiiiiooooooon.

There arrrrrrrre aaaaaa coooouuuppplleee offff gooooddd high schooools innn the city system and than it is dooooowwwwn hill from there.

45 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

Ohhhhhhhhhkaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy.  Pllllllllllllleasssssse ttttttttrrrrryyyyyy toooooo paaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy aaattteeennnntiiiiiiooooooon.

There arrrrrrrre aaaaaa coooouuuppplleee offff gooooddd high schooools innn the city system and than it is dooooowwwwn hill from there.

Got it. NOOOOowwwwwwww   IIIIIiiiiii uuunnnnnddddrrrrrstaannnnnn. :D

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 5:54 PM, Bawlmerian said:

Baltimore School for the Arts...

2 hours ago, Marshan Man said:

Baltimore School for the Arts...

I get why they have these magnet type schools.  But what does it do to the other schools?  

On 11/9/2017 at 11:31 AM, Buford said:

Who needs math anyway..:rolleyes::D

I read that as "meth" thanks to your avatar. :unsure:

On 11/12/2017 at 0:33 AM, Bartman said:

Me too. I still have the old reel to reel tapes from the mercury and such that I recorded by putting the microphone next to the speakers on the old black and white.

Hope I am around when the try for Mars....that would be so cool!  Or even shots to the moon to build bases in prep for it.

I have to admit the robotics and probes they send are fascinating and can do some incredible things. But smh.....there is something about humans putting their butts on the line to expand the knowledge. Computer are incredibly great at some of this stuff....but human gut feeling.....well....it adds so much.

Just ask Jim Kirk. :D

This is truthful and I am not lying. But never taken Algebra, Geomatry, Calcus, or whatever they are called. Needed to have enough just to get me by. It is my very least favorite subject. Seems like everybody else's.