Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Baltimatt

(Almost) 98-year-old man works 6 days a week at his barber college

25 posts in this topic

http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2017/11/mobile_barber_isaac_white_sr_t.html#incart_river_home

Isaac White Sr. teaches the students at White's Barber College how to cut hair the right way, every time. But he also teaches them much more inside the red brick building on Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue in Mobile.

"You have to stay positive," he says. "If you listen to too much negativity, it's going to rub off on you. In here, it's more than just teaching. They need to turn around their life. I tell all my students to stay focused. You have to know more than how to cut hair to survive."

He's strictly against drinking and "shacking," or living together before marriage. "You'd be surprised how many students get married and invite me to the wedding," he says.

He's still putting in 13 hour days, six days a week.  Happy Birthday Mr. White!

Speaking of nonagenarians:

93-year-old veteran elected mayor in New Jersey

A 93-year-old World War II veteran will hold elected office for the first time in his long life after winning the race for mayor in a New Jersey borough Tuesday.

Perillo, who has been a resident of Tinton Falls for more than 50 years, ran on a platform calling for lower taxes and more transparency.

He was partially driven to run after a whistleblower lawsuit against the police department ended in a settlement that cost taxpayers $1.1 million, he told the Asbury Park Press.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/09/politics/93-year-old-elected-mayor-new-jersey/index.html

Hats off to both of these men!

49 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Amazing. Yes, happy birthday to Mr. White!  He is a role model - not these goofy athletes and performing artists. Him. Mr. White.

Why can't we EVER celebrate someone without using it as an opportunity to bash other people?  So joyless.

2 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

"You have to stay positive," he says. "If you listen to too much negativity, it's going to rub off on you.

Happy Birthday Mr. White.  We should all listen to this quote of his.

8 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

Awesome! I doubt we'll see Mr. White on this forum.:lol:

No, I doubt he has much interest in the foolishness we engage in for entertainment. 

In that vein, I get frequent solicitations from a recruiter named Emma White. I'd love to meet her parents. 

13 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

No, I doubt he has much interest in the foolishness we engage in for entertainment. 

In that vein, I get frequent solicitations from a recruiter named Emma White. I'd love to meet her parents. 

Lol! R u serious though?Ill come with. We can be the "over the hill gang!!:lol:

Edited by mrdeltoid

16 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

I keep getting email about mail order brides! I wouldn't think "Margaret" is gender non-specific.....

1 minute ago, mrdeltoid said:

Lol! R u serious though?

I swear. She's a Workday recruiter. 

2 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

I keep getting email about mail order brides! I wouldn't think "Margaret" is gender non-specific.....

Your secret is safe with me. 

2 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

I swear. She's a Workday recruiter. 

That's great!!

1 minute ago, mrdeltoid said:

That's great!!

I don't know the woman, but for her sake, I hope she's not black. :huh:

13 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

Your secret is safe with me. 

My husband tells me to just forward to him.....:confused:

Just now, ms maggie said:

My husband tells me to just forward to him.....:confused:

Rut Roh. Does he like the Asian ones or the Russian ones?

5 hours ago, Sprightly said:

Amazing. Yes, happy birthday to Mr. White!  He is a role model - not these goofy athletes and performing artists. Him. Mr. White.

SMH!

1 hour ago, FatBoy said:

Rut Roh. Does he like the Asian ones or the Russian ones?

He doesn't say.  He ACTS uninterested, says he'll get me off the list.  Oh sure mister, like I'm buying that!!!

37 minutes ago, EgyptKang said:

SMH!

Be careful! Marbles can hurt! :)

And I stand by my words 100% regardless of who likes it or doesn't like it.

Stories about these 90+ year olds who still go to work are certainly heart warming on the surface. Anybody that can still work a full time at a job at 70 is an outlier, let alone older than that. If that's what these individuals want to do, more power to them.

It makes me wonder, though, if there's a subtext to such publicity.

People are living longer thanks to the ability of medical science to keep bodies from dying. By the time someone crosses 60, however, they're pretty much done when it comes to physically demanding work. The ability to do knowledge work starts declining too. It used to be that people worked until sometime in their mid 60's, retired, and then died of a heart-attack not too long after that. Now we are looking at retired folks living past their savings and/or drawing from social security almost for as long as they've worked and culminating with an indefinitely long stay in assisted or skilled nursing facility (~5-12K/month). This puts stress on the system.

It's no secret that certain elements want to shred the social safety net. Some talk about increasing age of retirement yet again. Social security seems to come up as "fair game" for cuts and privatization from time to time. Medicaid and medicare require a constant battle to keep from being snipped continuously. 

I feel that as vicious cuts to the social safety nets become serious, we will see a flurry of propaganda and disinformation that highlights "cheerful old folks" working well into their 70's and 80's. Why retire when you can work 'til you drop?

21 minutes ago, dogstarman said:

Stories about these 90+ year olds who still go to work are certainly heart warming on the surface. Anybody that can still work a full time at a job at 70 is an outlier, let alone older than that. If that's what these individuals want to do, more power to them.

People are living longer thanks to the ability of medical science to keep bodies from dying. By the time someone crosses 60, however, they're pretty much done when it comes to physically demanding work. The ability to do knowledge work starts declining too. It used to be that people worked until sometime in their mid 60's, retired, and then died of a heart-attack not too long after that. Now we are looking at retired folks living past their savings and/or drawing from social security almost for as long as they've worked and culminating with an indefinitely long stay in assisted or skilled nursing facility (~5-12K/month). This puts stress on the system.

It's no secret that certain elements want to shred the social safety net. Some talk about increasing age of retirement yet again. Social security seems to come up as "fair game" for cuts and privatization from time to time. Medicaid and medicare require a constant battle to keep from being snipped continuously. 

I feel that as vicious cuts to the social safety nets become serious, we will see a flurry of propaganda and disinformation that highlights "cheerful old folks" working well into their 70's and 80's. Why retire when you can work 'til you drop?

Damn, you are such a wet blanket, but you make some very good points.

I guess such news stories are news stories because they are relatively rare.  I think of the man who won the mayoral office at age 93; that's my father's age when he died, and I couldn't imagine him taking on such a responsibility at his age even if it's a mostly ceremonial position.

And yet, all the big four presidential candidates in the last election were well into their 60s or older.  I can't imaging pursuing a grueling campaign schedule they way Trump and Clinton did at or almost age 70.

I found myself retiring this year due to health reasons.  I had hoped to work a few more years at a mostly sedentary position, but I couldn't keep up when I was on weekly chemo.  When I was working, I couldn't imagine retiring .  Now that I'm retired, I can't imaging going to work every day.

Another issue is the employability of older people.  They may well be able to do their jobs, but employers don't want to hire or retain them in many cases.  When my dad was laid off in his 50s, it took him a long time to find a new job.  That lasted a few years, but then he was out of work again and decided it was time to retire.

1 hour ago, dogstarman said:

Well said.