Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Pickle20

Old school rap/hip-hop

10 posts in this topic

Anyone a fan here? I grew up on it. What are your favorite artists, groups, albums, etc?

30 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

How far back old school?

I consider old school to be anywhere from say...1985-2000.

The Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash. Kool Moe Dee. Big Daddy Kane. Kurtis Blow. 

De La Soul “Three Ft High and Rising” was the first time I realized how good rap could be.  I listened to a lot of PE and Beastie Boys but never really paid attention or took it seriously as music.  That album made me rethink the whole genre and go back and listen to a lot of old new stuff.  

Not a huge fan of rap but if I had to pick it would be Cypress Hill and Onyx. 

Gangstarr is my favorite group. DJ Premier on the beats, Guru on the mic. The most consistent group in rap, IMO.

A Tribe Called Quest is just behind. Like De La Soul, they transcended the genre. Their most recent album, released last year, is one of their best. Amazing group.

Wu Tang Clan -- what more can be said about them? A rap group unlike anything that came before, or after.

Those are my top 3. I have a lot of other faves, but those are the ones that stand out for me the most.

Listen to a lot from that era.  Wu Tang, Mobb Deep, EPMD, Gang Starr, Ice Cube, DITC are some of my favorites.

Fat Boys, Beastie Boys, Run DMC, NWA, Public Enemy, early Snoop Dogg.  That was pretty much it I think, I was more of a punk/metal type but that stuff was way cool to me as a youth.  I would alternate my CD player from Megadeth and PE during parties just to mix it up, lol.