Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Trump complains about constraints on executive power

50 posts in this topic

You know, the saddest thing is that because I’m the president of the United States, I am not supposed to be involved with the Justice Department. I am not supposed to be involved with the FBI. I’m not supposed to be doing the kind of things that I would love to be doing. And I’m very frustrated by it.

Link

Meanwhile, in just one week, the administration was busy trying to get agencies to do his personal bidding:

White House chief of staff tried to pressure acting DHS secretary to expel thousands of Hondurans, officials say

Watchdog lawsuit seeks to determine if White House influenced Time Warner-AT&T merger

CIA DIRECTOR MET ADVOCATE OF DISPUTED DNC HACK THEORY — AT TRUMP’S REQUEST

Authoritarian.

He likes to do things that are easy to do.  EOs, nominate judges (with McConnell guarantee of approval), tweet, campaign style rallies. 

Legislation? Broker compromises? Deliver on promises--Mexico paying for wall, getting tough with China, getting jobs back.  Not so much. 

3 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

He likes to do things that are easy to do.  EOs, nominate judges (with McConnell guarantee of approval), tweet, campaign style rallies. 

Legislation? Broker compromises? Deliver on promises--Mexico paying for wall, getting tough with China, getting jobs back.  Not so much. 

It is pretty much a good thing that he sucks at his job.   It would most likely be worse if he were successful.

2 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

It is pretty much a good thing that he sucks at his job.   It would most likely be worse if he were successful.

He's been very successful at decapitating the State Dept.  Who needs diplomacy when we have the big boom booms, I believe that's his erudite position. 

Maybe someone will tell him that checks and balances were put in place so that someone with his mindset won't ascend to dictator status.

The liberal idea of limited government.   Some people reject the idea as archaic.  

3 hours ago, SemiAuto said:

Most people are perfectly comfortable with authoritarians whose ideas align with theirs. We see it now with the Trumpeters, and we saw it when Obama and Bush dropped signing statements. Now, excuse me, I have to go alert the lefties so they can castigate me for having a "both sides" mentality. Because, again, it's okay when their side does it. :)

36 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

The liberal idea of limited government.   Some people reject the idea as archaic.  

Not to mention a failure in the wake of the Great Depression.

You miss having children work shucking oysters rather than wasting tax dollars by sending them to school? 

2 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Most people are perfectly comfortable with authoritarians whose ideas align with theirs. We see it now with the Trumpeters, and we saw it when Obama and Bush dropped signing statements. Now, excuse me, I have to go alert the lefties so they can castigate me for having a "both sides" mentality. Because, again, it's okay when their side does it. :)

Bush and Obama did not see the government departments as extensions of their personal whims.

Get rid of the executive order capability along with the executive pardon capability.  It's a bad way to run the country.  It can easily be undone by the next president.  We've seen that with Trump and we will see it with Trump's successor.  If the president wants to get his way maybe he has to give up something that his side considers a poison pill to do so.  It's called compromise.  

Donny's an outsider. A rebel. Not beholding to the status quo. He's fixin' to drain the swamp. Give him time to MAGA. Yea Baby!

God bless Donald Trump.

Has there ever been a more vocal, more powerful critic of our justice system than Trump?

He even pardoned the conviction of a law enforcement officer who willfully defied the court because he approves if what he did.

23 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

Get rid of the executive order capability along with the executive pardon capability.  It's a bad way to run the country.  It can easily be undone by the next president.  We've seen that with Trump and we will see it with Trump's successor.  If the president wants to get his way maybe he has to give up something that his side considers a poison pill to do so.  It's called compromise.  

Think the pardon power is in the Constitution so anything but "easy" to undo it.

12 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Think the pardon power is in the Constitution so anything but "easy" to undo it.

Ah but our generation knows better. We've lost out bearings. 

"My guard stood hard when abstract threats
Too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now"

Name that tune!

1 hour ago, Evil Yoda said:

The founding fathers were smarter than you.

45 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

Too noble to neglect

Name that tune!

Bob!

2 minutes ago, ms maggie said:

Bob!

The voice of a generation. We were so much better then. 

14 minutes ago, Calamari said:

The founding fathers were smarter than you.

Yes, they were, on this subject. It is you and hst2 who believe they are smarter than the Founding Fathers. Or, perhaps what you really believe is the system should be re-engineered to ensure liberals win and can maintain political power without fear of challenge. It is hard to be sure with strong partisans.

1 minute ago, Evil Yoda said:

Yes, they were, on this subject. It is you and hst2 who believe they are smarter than the Founding Fathers. Or, perhaps what you really believe is the system should be re-engineered to ensure liberals win and can maintain political power without fear of challenge. It is hard to be sure with strong partisans.

I can't take credit it. I got the idea from Larry Sabado, who has also promoted such liberal partisan ideas as a balanced budget amendment and term limits.

C'mon EY, your opposition to representative democracy can't all be based on "it's what the founders wanted. And nobody is smarter tgan them." This kind if devotion to them borders on faith. 

1 hour ago, ms maggie said:

I know it can't be undone, they were just suggestions.  Anything in the constitution will not be repealed or amended anytime soon, despite the wishes of some.  The process of changing the constitution is very difficult even in an optimal environment.  In today's hyper-partisan landscape there is no chance of getting 2/3 or congress or 2/3 of the states to go along with any change.  

Just now, cprenegade said:

I know it can't be undone, they were just suggestions.  Anything in the constitution will not be repealed or amended anytime soon, despite the wishes of some.  The process of changing the constitution is very difficult even in an optimal environment.  In today's hyper-partisan landscape there is no chance of getting 2/3 or congress or 2/3 of the states to go along with any change.  

Our current government can barely pass a law, and it's under the control of one party.

24 minutes ago, hst2 said:

I can't take credit it. I got the idea from Larry Sabado, who has also promoted such liberal partisan ideas as a balanced budget amendment and term limits.

C'mon EY, your opposition to representative democracy can't all be based on "it's what the founders wanted. And nobody is smarter tgan them." This kind if devotion to them borders on faith. 

I didn't exactly say nobody is smarter than them. I said you weren't. Because you completely fail to see how your attempt to shift power to the cities, exclusively, would cause the country to disintegrate as the people you choose to disenfranchise would quickly grow tired of it. And your reason for doing this isn't that you think city dwellers are smarter than rural dwellers. It's that they vote the way you want. Authoritarianism, which you decry in Trump, is okay with you when those who hold the "correct" ideas are in charge. And you're completely blind to it.

2 hours ago, FatBoy said:

Too noble to neglect

Name that tune!

My Back Pages - by the Weatherman.