Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MiddleOfTheRoad

Coal...in Germany?

8 posts in this topic

Let me help you out a bit.

The article relays how the green Utopia that is Germany, a nation about the same size as Texas, with a government managed electrical grid, is tearing up a village to get at a newly found coal source and pushing back their oft-touted move to green by 10 - 15 years.  

And your position that the move coal is based on market trends and not environmental regulations is partially but mostly ridiculous.  The market trends are emerging because of the environmental regulations.

I cite the article because I have long held the position that we are two generations from getting to an energy source other than fossil because alternative energy technology is not even close to providing sufficient energy to run a country such as the US, never mind a small country like Germany.

12 minutes ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

Let me help you out a bit.

The article relays how the green Utopia that is Germany, a nation about the same size as Texas, with a government managed electrical grid, is tearing up a village to get at a newly found coal source and pushing back their oft-touted move to green by 10 - 15 years.  

And your position that the move coal is based on market trends and not environmental regulations is partially but mostly ridiculous.  The market trends are emerging because of the environmental regulations.

I cite the article because I have long held the position that we are two generations from getting to an energy source other than fossil because alternative energy technology is not even close to providing sufficient energy to run a country such as the US, never mind a small country like Germany.

Isn’t the energy market different in Germany though? They don’t have the natural gas resources the US has. They have to import from Russia which is a dicey situation to be in. And after Fukushima, the anti-nuclear crowd seems to have won out in Europe, further limiting competition.

In fairness to soulflower, in the US it is a market trend of cheap natural gas that is displacing coal.   Trump can go on and on about bringing coal jobs back but there isn't a market for it.  Trump is just plain wrong about this.  Things may be different in Germany but that is up to them.

MotR:  I've heard story after story about peak oil and for the most part they've all been wrong.   I suspect I'll live out the rest of my days with fossil fuels being readily available and used for energy production.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

Isn’t the energy market different in Germany though? They don’t have the natural gas resources the US has. They have to import from Russia which is a dicey situation to be in. And after Fukushima, the anti-nuclear crowd seems to have won out in Europe, further limiting competition.

Just now, SemiAuto said:

In fairness to soulflower, in the US it is a market trend of cheap natural gas that is displacing coal.   Trump can go on and on about bringing coal jobs back but there isn't a market for it.  Trump is just plain wrong about this.  Things may be different in Germany but that is up to them.

MotR:  I've heard story after story about peak oil and for the most part they've all been wrong.   I suspect I'll live out the rest of my days with fossil fuels being readily available and used for energy production.

Both of you are right. The US has more options than Western Europe. 

The energy issue also explains Germany’s relationship with Russia. They can’t get tough on Putin because Russia is the fuel provider for most of Europe. 

Even if you can't understand German, you can see the operation of the strip mine and the new town replacing Immerath.  The younger generation is generally hopeful about their new home, but it is difficult for older people.  More villages will have to give way for the coal mines.

Edited by Baltimatt

34 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

While that is true about Russia. Maybe what they are doing to get the rich vein of coal is to .........................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal_gasification

In current practice, large-scale instances of coal gasification are primarily for electricity generation, such as in integrated gasification combined cycle power plants, for production of chemical feedstocks, or for production of synthetic natural gas. The hydrogen obtained from coal gasification can be used for various purposes such as making ammonia, powering a hydrogen economy, or upgrading fossil fuels.

During WW2...the Nazi's made artificial gasoline using a similar process but that process and gasification of brown coal was crude at best and not very efficient.

Maybe that is where they are going with this?

But it sucks that an entire town has to disappear regardless.