Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VOSA

Culture Shock

48 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, hst2 said:

I hope you will agree that torturing them to death is cruel and unusual punishment.

China does not torture shoplifters to death. Your hyperbole is noted.

2 hours ago, Baltimatt said:

Otto Warmbier was arrested for a minor theft in North Korea.  Now he's dead.

China is not North Korea. These idiot shoplifters will not be harmed, but they will be punished for their crime, as they should be.

1 minute ago, Papi said:

China does not torture shoplifters to death. Your hyperbole is noted.

What does China do to shoplifters?

24 minutes ago, ncbirdfan said:

What does China do to shoplifters?

China has laws that deal with minor, non-violent crimes just as most modern nations do. I would not be surprised if these guys were forced to pay some sort of fine and then were sent home, and never allowed a visa to return. They did not do anything poltical, which would be a far more serious crime to the Chinese. 

On 11/12/2017 at 10:46 AM, VOSA said:

I wonder how the usual excuses – Had a bad childhood, fell in with the wrong crowd, wrong place/wrong time – will play out in the PRC?

I’m sure they will not serve any length of time but a week or two in a Hangzhou jail probably isn’t going to be a lot of fun.

One of the players has a complete moron for a father so that could be a potential excuse.

13 hours ago, alienrace said:

So what?  That doesn't give them cart blanche to act like idiots and commit crimes.  I don't care what country you come from, if you don't want to do the time, don't do the crime.

Or make sure that you do it in a country like the US ....where 'some' are allowed and unlimited number of 'get out fo jail free cards'. Ohhhh and before some of you get ready to scream RACIST.

That some also includes Kevin Spacey, Roy Moore, Harvey Weinstein, Bill Cosby, Bill O' Reilly, Louis CK, the many (so far and it ain't over)from the Trump arena, Trump and a LOAD of other fat cats and power brokers...that always seem to skate.

I would imagine if Roy Moore for example got nailed for something like that in China.....my guess is he would be singing soprano now.

Edited by Guido2

我打好了法律,赢得了法律,赢得了法律和法律。我希望他们喜欢中国菜

9 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

我打好了法律,赢得了法律,赢得了法律和法律。我希望他们喜欢中国菜

大声地笑!!

It'll be interesting to see what happens to them when they get back.

23 hours ago, ivanbalt said:

One of the players has a complete moron for a father so that could be a potential excuse.

Plays in BC.... I wonder how it will play in China. :lol:

47 minutes ago, Norman said:

Really? Same as always....you go son ....score some big points....

On 11/12/2017 at 10:46 AM, VOSA said:

Apparently, the privileged U.S. Olympic team swimmers involved in that Brazil kerfuffle last year didn't even need "the usual excuses" to escape the trappings of their "culture shock".

7 hours ago, Norman said:

They should be expelled off of the UCLA basketball team and lose their scholarships, but we all know that won't happen.  

Suspended indefinitely.  Who knows how long that will be.  Many were calling for at least the full year.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 8:38 AM, Norman said:

Don't you worry, the Don asked the President to help resolve the situation!

Looks like he did. According to this article, looks like the good will and diplomacy between Trump and Xi paid off. 

How Trump Helped Liberate U.C.L.A. 'Knuckleheads' From China ...

1 day ago - Mr. Trump said that three U.C.L.A. players arrested in China were in a “very, very rough situation. ... They learned that three American college basketball players ... Ball, were allowed to leave their hotel and board a flight back to California. ... can bring punishment ranging from a few days to years in prison.

But just as concern deepened about the fate of the three young athletes in China, their detention abruptly ended, aided, it seems, by Mr. Trump’s direct intervention with the country’s president, Xi Jinping. On Tuesday, the three players, including the star freshman LiAngelo Ball, the brother of the N.B.A. rookie Lonzo Ball, were allowed to leave their hotel and board a flight back to California.

“The three U.C.L.A. men’s basketball student-athletes involved in the incident with authorities in Hangzhou, China, are on a flight back home to Los Angeles,” the Pacific-12, the athletics conference to which the university belongs, said in a statement, adding that “the matter has been resolved to the satisfaction of the Chinese authorities.”

“We want to thank the president, the White House and the U.S. State Department for their efforts towards resolution,” the statement said.

Edited by mrdeltoid

43 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

It's good to see Donny is not only soft on white collar crime. :D

Don't take UCLA in your bracket this year .......

7 hours ago, Norman said:

Suspended indefinitely.  Who knows how long that will be.  Many were calling for at least the full year.

That will PO Ball's father who said that it "ain't no big deal."  There's an indictment of American culture for you.  His kid gets caught stealing and his response is that it was no big deal.  Trump should have kept his mouth shut and let China deal with them.  

7 hours ago, cprenegade said:

That will PO Ball's father who said that it "ain't no big deal."  There's an indictment of American culture for you.  His kid gets caught stealing and his response is that it was no big deal.  Trump should have kept his mouth shut and let China deal with them.  

Yup.  Don't do the crime if you can't do the time....I've heard that around these parts more than a few times.