Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrdeltoid

Candidate or issues ?

personality or issues   10 members have voted

1. 1. If in the last election, imagine the party issues were exactly the same, but Trump was the dem, and Hillary was the pubbie. If you were forced to vote and they were the only candidates would you:

• Vote for the same candidate you already did regardless of the issues?
    • Change your vote. The issues are more important than the candidate.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

44 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Yeah there were. Did you vote? Did you see the names on your ballot? There were more than 2.

For far too many people there is always just one choice.  They vote for the party every time.  Not the issues.  Not the candidate.  Now some campaigns and candidates elicite passion and turnout and there are some people from both major parties that never honestly consider voting for anyone except the party nominee 

3 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

For far too many people there is always just one choice.  They vote for the party every time.  Not the issues.  Not the candidate.  Now some campaigns and candidates elicite passion and turnout and there are some people from both major parties that never honestly consider voting for anyone except the party nominee 

I agree. I'm not a partisan voter like the person I responded to. Hence his dumb remark.

8 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

I agree. I'm not a partisan voter like the person I responded to. Hence his dumb remark.

None are so blind and all that. 

40 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

Not surprised at the dodges .  There are more than one would think that vote on the person over the issues.

If the issues were exactly the same as you stated " issues were exactly the same" then the only difference would be the person.  I normally vote for issues so if they were exactly the same in both parties, so I would have gone with Clinton - experience over non-experience.

Yeah, I voted stating that I'd vote Clinton, but that's because I'm not surprised in the slightest at the abomination Donald Trump has turned out to be as President.

That said, it's a poorly worded scenario, because in order to vote for the same candidate, the OP suggests you are abandoning the issues, and if you change your vote, all of a sudden the issues are more important? 

I think the OP confuses "the issues" with voting along party lines. 

10 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

Yeah, I voted stating that I'd vote Clinton, but that's because I'm not surprised in the slightest at the abomination Donald Trump has turned out to be as President.

That said, it's a poorly worded scenario, because in order to vote for the same candidate, the OP suggests you are abandoning the issues, and if you change your vote, all of a sudden the issues are more important? 

I think the OP confuses "the issues" with voting along party lines. 

Agree.  

59 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Yeah there were. Did you vote? Did you see the names on your ballot? There were more than 2.

Yes, thank you.

There were two viable candidates. A vote for anyone else was either a vote thrown away or, in places like Michigan, PA, and Wisconsin, a vote for Trump.

there may very well be three viable candidates in 2020 but that wasn't the case in 2016

5 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

Yes, thank you.

There were two viable candidates

My post didn't contain the word "viable" Nice goal post move.

Edited by bmore_ken

1 hour ago, mrdeltoid said:

Gun to your head

Trump I guess.   He doesn't get the privilege that progressives do when it comes to doing bad things.   The one saving grace of the GOP is that they're too incompetent to do many of the things they say they'll do.   OTOH, the DNC is usually successful in screwing people over.   Look at the ACA.   

Edited by SemiAuto

4 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

Trump I guess.   He doesn't get the privilege that progressives do when it comes to doing bad things.   The one saving grace of the GOP is that they're too incompetent to do many of the things they say they'll do.   OTOH, the DNC is usually successful in screwing people over.   Look at the ACA.   

The DNC wrote and voted on the ACA? Did the constitution change while I wasn't looking. 

3 minutes ago, SemiAuto said:

yes, my god.

29 million more people now have health insurance. Insurance companies can't deny you coverage because of pre-existing conditions nor can they just kick you off your coverage once you get sick, and parents can keep their kids on their insurance until the kids turn 26. What a shaft job.

11 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

Agree.  

Not to mention, the scenario that he wonders about could have never occurred. The GOP leaves themselves vulnerable to a populist takeover. The DNC does not. 

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

Prepare to be set upon! lol  :)

Forcing people into contractual arrangements against their will is unethical.  That you see it as something good is Machiavellian in the extreme. 

If the individual mandate were to be repealed and Americans were no longer required to purchase the Obamacare-mandated levels of health insurance coverage, the Congressional Budget Office (CBO) believes that 15 million Americans would no longer purchase such coverage.

https://ballotpedia.org/Scott_Rasmussen's_Number_of_the_Day_for_July_27,_2017    Millions of the people you claim to help are actually victims of your policy.  Unfortunately the GOP is too much of a cluster eff to do anything about it.

3 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Prepare to be set upon! lol  :)

What else is new? :D

2 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

fair enough. Thanks for an honest answer.

I like to think that if I approved of Trump as my winning candidate or of my party stealing a Supreme Court seat like McConnell did, that I would be honest about my cynicism. In other words, admit that my support in both cases, was strictly self-serving, and that I recognized, in the case of Trump, the horror of it, and in the case of McConnell, the corruption of it, and not proudly recognize it.

2 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

Agree.  

Oh crap that's right. Sorry. I meant the if both party positions are the same as they are now!. I'll rewrite the poll question. Your right, it was worded very bad. I'll get back to it tomorrow.

8 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

Oh crap that's right. Sorry. I meant the if both party positions are the same as they are now!. I'll rewrite the poll question. Your right, it was worded very bad. I'll get back to it tomorrow.

Thanks!

Would the democrat Trump still be an incompetent pedo rapist?