Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Where do kids learn to undervalue women? From their parents.

131 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, mrdeltoid said:

I'm guessing you grew up in middles working class 1950s Baltimore like me. I was very disappointed when I became a man, and found that I couldn't come home and be the king of my castle. My dad treated my mom like a queen, put her on a pedestal. By time I got married, the days of a single income middle class house hold were long gone. So I did what I had to do, but I NEVER, devalued or disrespected women in any way. I know I'm a dinosaur, but I miss those days.

We stayed single income as Mrs MOTR did a lot of volunteer work.  Figured encouraging her to stay with that was my best shot at heaven.

We seven kids did most of the cooking and always the dishes.  Opened me up to my favorite hobby -cooking.  I cook 5 nights a week and she hasn’t cooked a holiday meal in 20 years!

1 hour ago, Smokey 1 said:

He doesn't, I am ignoring him since his last flurry of personal attacks.  I do find it cute how you "progressives" defend each other.  :lol:

For the record, I wasn't defending anyone... just pointing out how ridiculous it is that some of y'all go out of your way to attack him... even when he posts something that you'd likely not have a problem with if it came from someone else

1 hour ago, Bawlmerian said:

Oh I know what it is.  And so do you

The fact that you look at that avatar and immediately see it as homophobic says more about you than about me.  Oh, and for the record I'm gay genius :rolleyes:

There is absolutely nothing homophobic about that avatar.... at least to those of us who aren't homophobic to begin with.

17 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

The fact that you look at that avatar and immediately see it as homophobic says more about you than about me.  Oh, and for the record I'm gay genius :rolleyes:

There is absolutely nothing homophobic about that avatar.... at least to those of us who aren't homophobic to begin with.

Here is the deal.  Not that you don’t know it.   That is a picture of two gay characters from a movies with the faces of two non gay public figures superimposed.  These two public figures have publicly praised each other which has been international news.  The joke is that the two are engaged in a bromance and is meant as a slight to both of their conservative political bases.  The “joke” is that being gay is an insult to their and/or their supporters. 

Your gayness (gay genius or not) does not factor into this.   

47 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

Here is the deal.  Not that you don’t know it.   That is a picture of two gay characters from a movies with the faces of two non gay public figures superimposed.  These two public figures have publicly praised each other which has been international news.  The joke is that the two are engaged in a bromance and is meant as a slight to both of their conservative political bases.  The “joke” is that being gay is an insult to their and/or their supporters. 

Your gayness (gay genius or not) does not factor into this.   

First of all, not sure what movie you're referencing. 

Second, this is where you and I differ.  To me Being gay is not an insult.  That it is to you says more about you than it does about me

To me that avatar is simply representative of how close they seem to be.  If you find that insulting, then that's on you... do you not get that?

Edited by banner1124

Maybe I’m wrong but I soon that was a play on Brokeback mountain.   And regardless of my opinion it is clearly meant there’s a slight towards Trump and Putin

27 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

First of all, not sure what movie you're referencing. 

Second, this is where you and I differ.  To me Being gay is not an insult.  That it is to you says more about you than it does about me

To me that avatar is simply representative of how close they seem to be.  If you find that insulting, then that's on you... do you not get that?

Sorry but I believe most straight men would see being called gay as an insult.  

Just now, Smokey 1 said:

Then most straight men need to think about how that reflects on them now don't they?

16 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

Maybe I’m wrong but I soon that was a play on Brokeback mountain.   And regardless of my opinion it is clearly meant there’s a slight towards Trump and Putin

Yes, it is a slight... but the slight is in how close they appear to be, not in the gay aspect.  Perhaps you need to figure out why you immediately thought of being gay as the slight

2 minutes ago, Bawlmerian said:

I don’t need to evaluate anything.  I already know I am correct 

Then we'll agree to disagree cause I'm damn sure I'm right too.... maybe you should worry less about my avatar and more about yourself... how's that?

5 hours ago, banner1124 said:

Or maybe you need to lighten up Francis

Kiss my grits. :D

4 hours ago, gonzoliberal said:

Did it ever occur to you two geniuses that I, too, am entitled to my opinion.

And once again, you show how 'teh right' handles criticism like a child.

You also can kiss my grits. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, banner1124 said:

For the record, I wasn't defending anyone... just pointing out how ridiculous it is that some of y'all go out of your way to attack him... even when he posts something that you'd likely not have a problem with if it came from someone else

It's how he approaches a subject that is the issue  - as a lecturer to us poor "students". Expressing an opinion is fine. Telling us how we are so very wrong in our views because he knows better is not fine. That's the difference. He is one of the few posters  here who uses that "holier than thou" approach, and it gets old. I know that people here disagree with my opinions, and that's perfectly fine. My views are my views, and anyone is free to agree or disagree. That's because I acceot that my opinion may not be the best available. The good professor does not accept any argument that his stated opinions are subject to question. That single mindedness is (in my humble opinion) his achilles heel. 

1 hour ago, Smokey 1 said:

You're right. At least older men. But that's clearly a reflection of how homosexuals were long viewed in our society. Happily that's changing.

Back to the subject at hand, how our society has devalued women. Would you prefer people call your son a sissy or your daughter a tomboy? Well the answer is obvious. 

Think about that.

Edited by ms maggie

1 hour ago, Papi said:

Kiss my grits. :D

Hahahahahahaha... OK, that's a good one.  I haven't heard that phrase in a couple of decades :D

52 minutes ago, Papi said:

It's how he approaches a subject that is the issue  - as a lecturer to us poor "students". Expressing an opinion is fine. Telling us how we are so very wrong in our views because he knows better is not fine. That's the difference. He is one of the few posters  here who uses that "holier than thou" approach, and it gets old. I know that people here disagree with my opinions, and that's perfectly fine. My views are my views, and anyone is free to agree or disagree. That's because I acceot that my opinion may not be the best available. The good professor does not accept any argument that his stated opinions are subject to question. That single mindedness is (in my humble opinion) his achilles heel. 

Oh come on now.  Around here we are all expressing to other posters how very wrong in their views we feel they are.

1 minute ago, banner1124 said:

Oh come on now.  Around here we are all expressing to other posters how very wrong in their views we feel they are.

You obviously don't follow the good professor's post very closely. :P

Just now, Papi said:

You obviously don't follow the good professor's post very closely. :P

Oh I do.   You should at least be willing to admit that, for whatever reason, you judge his posts more harshly

3 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

Hahahahahahaha... OK, that's a good one.  I haven't heard that phrase in a couple of decades :D

Yep, "Alice" was the series back in the day and Flo was the character who used that retort regularly. Too bad the southern accent can't come through when it's typed. :D

1 minute ago, banner1124 said:

Oh I do.   You should at least be willing to admit that, for whatever reason, you judge his posts more harshly

I guess his air or moral superiority and infallibility just gets under my skin more than it does yours. :P

5 minutes ago, Papi said:

Yep, "Alice" was the series back in the day and Flo was the character who used that retort regularly. Too bad the southern accent can't come through when it's typed. :D

Yes, I remember Alice quite well.  Good show

14 hours ago, Smokey 1 said:

Of course they would.  Those who think otherwise should run the idea that it's not past their HR department.  Further, people who say something like that to a straight person isn't likely to mean it as a compliment.

"That's gay" and "That's a gay thing to do" ain't gonna fly in most places.

17 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

When my husband got off active duty and we returned to MD, we both went to work in the same building. We would drive to and from work together.  I was still doing all the basic cooking and cleaning.  We would come home from work, walk into the house and my husband would say what's for dinner.  After doing this same routine for about six months, I was near exhaustion. We came home from work one day, my husband says "What's for dinner?".  I looked at him and said "I don't know what are you fixing?"  He just looked at me for a couple minutes and then apparently it dawned on him.  He is a worse cook than I am so I still do all the cooking but he does most of the house cleaning.  His father couldn't understand a man doing household chores like vacuuming.

Nobody knows how grueling running a household is until they do it! When someone says a stay home mom doesn't work I jump all over them. It was one of the toughest times of my life! And that was with my wife helping when she was home!

21 hours ago, MiddleOfTheRoad said:

We stayed single income as Mrs MOTR did a lot of volunteer work.  Figured encouraging her to stay with that was my best shot at heaven.

We seven kids did most of the cooking and always the dishes.  Opened me up to my favorite hobby -cooking.  I cook 5 nights a week and she hasn’t cooked a holiday meal in 20 years!

Good for you my friend. Sounds awesome!

4 hours ago, Ode2Joy said:

Of course they would.  Those who think otherwise should run the idea that it's not past their HR department.  Further, people who say something like that to a straight person isn't likely to mean it as a compliment.

"That's gay" and "That's a gay thing to do" ain't gonna fly in most places.

Think about that last sentence there for a minute.  Can you spot what's wrong with statements like that?  Here's a hint, the same thing has been done regarding women for centuries and that plays a HUGE role in why women have been and continue to be undervalued