Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Calamari

Photo of deported veterans saluting US flag goes viral

8 posts in this topic

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/11/photo-of-deported-veterans-saluting-us-flag-goes-viral/

The photo depicts a group of several Mexican men who served in the U.S. military in order to become citizens, but were denied and deported. The soldiers protested on Memorial day this year in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico.

Worldwide there are approximately 230 people who served in the U.S. military to gain citizenship, but were denied, according to NBC News in May.

“Many of us believe that they should be allowed to become citizens,” said Rep. Joaquín Castro of Texas to NBC News. “Many, if not most, were legal permanent residents, who were eligible to become citizens and perhaps never applied — they stood up for their country and put their lives on the line.”

A little aftermath to Veterans Day.

7 minutes ago, JoyinMudville said:

dubious

Clarify.

Trump, the little Hitler,  goes after the low hanging fruit.

2 hours ago, hst2 said:

A link from one of the quoted Tweets:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-deported-vets-20170604-story.html

“I committed a crime and I accept it,” said Eduardo Agustin Garcia, 59, a former U.S. Navy airman who grew up in Oxnard but was deported to Mexico in 1999 after serving a four-year sentence on a drug charge.

8 hours ago, hst2 said:

Hmmm. From the link. Bold and larger font added.

The presence of the legislators offered encouragement to the group. Vargas and Grijalva have submitted proposed legislation that would allow the vets to return to the United States and would take measures so that noncitizen members of the military are informed of their opportunities to become U.S. citizens. Two other members of the delegation are also preparing to propose legislation.

This is an opportunity for Donald Trump to do something right,” said Vargas. “We weren’t able to get anywhere with the other administration, and we should have.”

Immigrants who serve at least four years in the military should not be deported

Thats my opinion.

Hopefully, Military service as a path to citizenship is included in future Immigration Reform policies. 

5 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Immigrants who serve at least four years in the military should not be deported

Thats my opinion.

Hopefully, Military service as a path to citizenship is included in future Immigration Reform policies. 

In principle I agree. 

It sounds like there may have been some individual failures of leadership in that some of these folks were not made aware of the process required to obtain citizenship by their branch of service.  Clearly, it should have been part of their out processing briefings.