Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ECF

Overlea out of playoffs

75 posts in this topic

From what I've heard from a pretty credible source... the kid in question actually lives in Overlea's zone (which brings up the question of how in the world did he ever play for Dunbar in the first place...) so when he came back from Episcopal to Overlea, everything checked out... except for the fact that his residency never changed at any point in time, which prompted Baltimore Co. to deem him ineligible to participate. 

Seems like an oversight IMO, but seriously... the "free agency" issue is very real...  Kids leave their designated jurisdiction all the time to go to different schools.

Regardless, its a terrible situation and I feel horrible for all of those Overlea kids who aren't getting the chance to move forward...

Where is the parental guidance? 3 schools in a 3 month period?

Doesn’t surprise me coming from Overlea. Always heard rumors of players getting grades changed 2003-2008

1 hour ago, ShoNuff07 said:

No kidding. What a selfish act !

1 hour ago, DayWalker said:

....this ain't free.  A lot of Overlea kids are paying in full.

Oh I agree coach should be gone after this 

and AD

Given the death penalty which comes with this and his need to practice ten times why didn’t anyone confirm this was OK before the game?

9 hours ago, jtowne-swim said:

Given the death penalty which comes with this and his need to practice ten times why didn’t anyone confirm this was OK before the game?

We wouldn't have needed to practice 10x, if he was already playing at another school. Just needed to have all paperwork in order when he transferred back to his zone school from Va.

13 hours ago, DayWalker said:

And not see your Poets or scout Bohemia Manor - Havre de Grace who Dunbar is likely to meet in the semis?  Or forego Wise and Roosevelt or Northwest and Quince Orchard or North Point and Broadneck?

Just seems like a better game to watch. I'm not on the Dunbar staff.. Just a guy that has watched more Dunbar football than anyone else than I personally can think of. BTW, I think HDG has a chance to go down this week. Hopefully not.. But I think its gonna be close this week. That Wise game could be the move too.. Indecisive

Edited by meth007

12 hours ago, bmagic33 said:

From what I've heard from a pretty credible source... the kid in question actually lives in Overlea's zone (which brings up the question of how in the world did he ever play for Dunbar in the first place...) so when he came back from Episcopal to Overlea, everything checked out... except for the fact that his residency never changed at any point in time, which prompted Baltimore Co. to deem him ineligible to participate. 

Seems like an oversight IMO, but seriously... the "free agency" issue is very real...  Kids leave their designated jurisdiction all the time to go to different schools.

Regardless, its a terrible situation and I feel horrible for all of those Overlea kids who aren't getting the chance to move forward...

People move all the time b

13 hours ago, DayWalker said:

....this ain't free.  A lot of Overlea kids are paying in full.

That's what makes this situation awful is that the young men who play on Overleas team are paying for the sins of one guy, or possibly the actions of the coaches who knew or may not have knew. Just an awful situation for everyone.

1 hour ago, ECF said:

We wouldn't have needed to practice 10x, if he was already playing at another school. Just needed to have all paperwork in order when he transferred back to his zone school from Va.

In Baltimore County if you play for another school at any time and change schools during that same season you are deemed ineligible for the rest of the season.

Just now, BmoreBall said:

In Baltimore County if you play for another school at any time and change schools during that same season you are deemed ineligible for the rest of the season.

Even if you only practice with any other school you are ineligible, coaches should have known , piss poor excuses 

Just now, Rob A. said:

Even if you only practice with any other school you are ineligible, coaches should have known , piss poor excuses 

Exactly 

And whats crazier is that they allowed it to go on 

Pure stupidity 

I read somewhere that the player in question suited up and played last weekend for Overlea for the 1st-time...

13 minutes ago, BmoreBall said:

11 minutes ago, Rob A. said:

Took the words right out of my mouth. The first time the kid practiced for Dunbar in August, he was then ineligible to play in BaltCo this season. Regardless of why or how he may have transferred

52 minutes ago, BmoreBall said:

This is both true and false.

Ineligibility only comes into play when the transfer is not the direct result of a parental change of address (in this case, the kid came from a boarding school in VA, not a zone school).  So, had the kid actually moved from a VA address back to the Overlea zone, he would actually be eligible to participate right away. 

1 hour ago, meth007 said:

People move all the time b

Define "move"... you and I both know that a large handful of student-athletes in this area that transfer don't legitimately relocate.

You can't transfer and play for another school if you have already practiced or played with the previous school

13 minutes ago, bmagic33 said:

This is both true and false.

Ineligibility only comes into play when the transfer is not the direct result of a parental change of address (in this case, the kid came from a boarding school in VA, not a zone school).  So, had the kid actually moved from a VA address back to the Overlea zone, he would actually be eligible to participate right away. 

Define "move"... you and I both know that a large handful of student-athletes in this area that transfer don't legitimately relocate.

I don't know about this magic.  If a player transferred during the football season and I'm assuming he did becuase the playoff game was his first game played and he transferred without a change of address, I would say the player is not eligible to participate in the same sport he played at the previous school for the remainder of the football season.

Edited by DayWalker

Not a good experience for the kids already on the team who have been working hard all season...especially the seniors.  Not good to go out this way...I remember Overlea dropping dime on New Town several years ago in week 10.Think Dunbar would have put one on them anyway....but better to play the game tho

Edited by BJC

2 hours ago, DayWalker said:

I read somewhere that the player in question suited up and played last weekend for Overlea for the 1st-time...

That's the part that I don't get. Why would a HC use a player FOR THE FIRST TIME in a playoff game? Your team was good enough to make the playoffs with the guys that played weeks 1-10 without this cat, then in week 11 you play him - at the expense of another kid who was there all year? And because of that all of those players - the ones that helped you get into the playoffs, pay the price! 

Obviously a real game rep before facing The Orleans Monsters.....

3 hours ago, meth007 said:

Just seems like a better game to watch. I'm not on the Dunbar staff.. Just a guy that has watched more Dunbar football than anyone else than I personally can think of. BTW, I think HDG has a chance to go down this week. Hopefully not.. But I think its gonna be close this week. That Wise game could be the move too.. Indecisive

HDG will not lose to Bo Manor...HDG will win by 3 TD's...

It's a simple as this...the Overlea head coach needs Baltimore County to sign off on this kid playing before he even gets a uniform. So when the question comes up, you have a document/email that has already been approved so what just happened doesn't happen. Horrible management and procedural guidance.

Whoever deemed this kid ineligible and forced an Overlea forfeit is the same person/persons that needed to approve his eligibility in the first place.

Edited by TDHelmick

1 hour ago, TDHelmick said:

It's a simple as this...the Overlea head coach needs Baltimore County to sign off on this kid playing before he even gets a uniform. So when the question comes up, you have a document/email that has already been approved so what just happened doesn't happen. Horrible management and procedural guidance.

Whoever deemed this kid ineligible and forced an Overlea forfeit is the same person/persons that needed to approve his eligibility in the first place.

Curious, does Allegany county "signoff" on all players suited up at Fort Hill, Allegany, and Mountain Ridge?