Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ode2Joy

Resident shoots armed intruder who forced his way into apartment

33 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

At 25ft bird shot is going to hit like an ounce and a quarter slug....won't have cleared the shot cup at that range and will make one big hole instead of a whole bunch of little ones.;)

Sometimes I think a full blown 12ga is overkill for inside home defense and a 20ga is more than sufficient with the added benefit of being lighter and easier to handle....plus, if necessary mrs fever (she who must be obeyed) can handle it.

Then there are these:

https://www.venturamunitions.com/categories/shotgun/12-ga-minishell.html

I can cram 12+1 into the hd gun.

Good points....but I load my own....and home defense first shot is 'light'....more of a pepper shot. Not much damage...but it will get their attention. The ventura stuff is neat...but I doubt the average person would search it out or even know about it.

So...................

Yup 20 gauge is a good alternative for those that don't re-load. Always wanted a 20...with the same frame as my 12 auto I use for trap....thought it would help my tracking for the meets and would be fun for dove.  But I couldn't justify the $$$$ in my head.

Edited by Guido2

18 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

While I like to shoot the 1911, it's a little to much kick for my taste. And the 9mm holds more rounds, the ammo is cheap, and I can be back on target quicker. But you're right, it is a wonderful piece. The .357 fell in my lap. I bought it used for $300 about 25 years ago. I couldn't pass it up. I love that gun.

Guess it's just personal preference. There's a bit more recoil with the .45ACP but the 9mm being a higher pressure round just feels less comfortable to me, more of a Pop! Mostly put 38 wadcutters thru the 357 but the std 357 rounds will bother my hand a bit after about 1/2 a box. I don't bother with the Hot loads.

3 hours ago, Bartman said:

Guess it's just personal preference. There's a bit more recoil with the .45ACP but the 9mm being a higher pressure round just feels less comfortable to me, more of a Pop! Mostly put 38 wadcutters thru the 357 but the std 357 rounds will bother my hand a bit after about 1/2 a box. I don't bother with the Hot loads.

I did the same thing quite a few time with my .357. .38 is a lot cheaper. Have you ever shot an old Python? I don't know if it's the weight of the gun or it's balance, but even with the .357 rounds it barely kicks. If you ever get an opportunity to shoot one do it! You sound like our preference in performance is similar. With my 9mm (and really all my guns) I use the lighted weight I can. I think I use 115gr. in the Glock, 125 gr. in the colt.

Before I really knew Anything about handguns Way Way back, the 1st pistol I bought due to reviews was the Star Firestar in 9mm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Firestar_M43

That little SOB was just Crazy! Think the barrel was just like 3" and barely controllable with that round. I traded it with a Dealer for a Ruger P90DC when the DeCocker stuff was just coming out. "The P90 came in multiple configurations including the P90 DC, a decocker only version with no external safety. The P90 was discontinued in 2010." I sold that off as well as I just felt it was too "Blocky" feeling and really not what I wanted. When I came across a good deal on the Browning, I jumped  on it and Glad I did. It's everything that John M. Browning wanted to do after the 1911 and it's everything that makes it the Classic that it is. As far as Wheelguns, not being able to afford a Colt, the Taurus 689 had excellent reviews so I went with what I guess everyone considers the standard 6" vent rib for Target rather than a shorter Combat model. Pleased with it but yeah as I'm not all that Big in Stature the full load .357s will get to my hand after a while. To me, something with a little more Heft to it eases the recoil. Like I said, a friend has a bunch of Glocks and I tried them but they just weren't my cup of tea. I just like the Classics I guess, all these New ones just don't appeal to me. Besides I have what I wanted now so that's it.

On a side note, I knew a guy who was pushing 80 back when I was in my 50's who was still shooting TC Contenders in .45-70 at that Steel Plate target stuff. I thought "You've Got to be Kidding me!". People call them Hand Cannons, right! And this Old Guy sitting at the bar with the Shakes when he picked up his Shot glass was the one who tried talking me into getting a .44! Nah, that's just too Extreme for me.

Edited by Bartman

Hey guys,

I have noted as of late....that there seems to be a lot of shooters here. Are there any hunters or fishermen?

Here is the reason why I ask. If you read the Sun ....the 'Outdoors' section has totally disappeared. It went down hill to zero after Kandace left.Now outdoors is horseshoes,botchy ball, running and pickle ball. :lol:

Anyway, I noted that on the main page ....sport section....there are many categories....but nothing about 'Outdoors'. I was wondering if you think that it would be fun to have such a category for posting exchanges like we have seen here. Judging by the length and depth of many responses there is a lot of pent up energy for such a category.

I have no clue how one lobbies for such a thing....but it would be worth investigating putting one in if your response is good.

One thing.....when I say "Outdoors' I mean OUTDOORS; hunting fishing shooting bow and arrow. NOT....the 5K walk for whatever or bike paths ....that is what destroyed the Outdoors section in the Sun....after Kandace left.

Thought?

10 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Hey guys,

I have noted as of late....that there seems to be a lot of shooters here. Are there any hunters or fishermen?

Here is the reason why I ask. If you read the Sun ....the 'Outdoors' section has totally disappeared. It went down hill to zero after Kandace left.Now outdoors is horseshoes,botchy ball, running and pickle ball. :lol:

Anyway, I noted that on the main page ....sport section....there are many categories....but nothing about 'Outdoors'. I was wondering if you think that it would be fun to have such a category for posting exchanges like we have seen here. Judging by the length and depth of many responses there is a lot of pent up energy for such a category.

I have no clue how one lobbies for such a thing....but it would be worth investigating putting one in if your response is good.

One thing.....when I say "Outdoors' I mean OUTDOORS; hunting fishing shooting bow and arrow. NOT....the 5K walk for whatever or bike paths ....that is what destroyed the Outdoors section in the Sun....after Kandace left.

Thought?

I don't hunt, but I'll bet a firearms section would get a lot of posts. I like fishing but it's been forever...

There's an Outdoors section and a Shooting Gallery on the Other Forum

http://sunspotliveson.proboards.com/

Unfortunately there are Few people on those boards, tried it for a while but hardly anyone there.

Hmmm....maybe I should OP a poll in nationals to see if it is worth investigating? Thoughts?