Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bartman

Kerbel Space Program

9 posts in this topic

Was Addicted to Kerbal Space Program  http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/en/ for a couple years till they Upgraded it past 1.2 I think and my Autopilot plug in wouldn't work anymore. Been to Duna (Mars analogue)

http://i.imgur.com/a6RRkBM.png

and out to Laythe (Jupiter moon analogue)

http://i.imgur.com/AZLXxLP.png

by progressively building bigger & bigger ships and mastering in orbit refueling

http://i.imgur.com/VZjVyjv.png

But not being able to Dock without the Autopilot plug in Killed it for me.

NDGT.gif.ed33a4c8b28b2da32edd914d3b6128b1.gif

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Bartman said:

Was Addicted to Kerbal Space Program  http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/en/ for a couple years till they Upgraded it past 1.2 I think and my Autopilot plug in wouldn't work anymore. Been to Duna (Mars analogue)

http://i.imgur.com/a6RRkBM.png

and out to Laythe (Jupiter moon analogue)

http://i.imgur.com/AZLXxLP.png

by progressively building bigger & bigger ships and mastering in orbit refueling

http://i.imgur.com/VZjVyjv.png

But not being able to Dock without the Autopilot plug in Killed it for me.

NDGT.gif.ed33a4c8b28b2da32edd914d3b6128b1.gif

Guess you hooked up with this stuff way after I was.

I was happy as poop when I programmed a Lunar lander sym game on my Trash 80 by hand from scrach using BASIC.... not VB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC

I am still pondering gettng a really good top to bottom flight simulator. Much cheaper and safer than a getting a license.

Edited by Guido2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Guido2 said:

Guess you hooked up with this stuff way after I was.

I was happy as poop when I programmed a Lunar lander sym game on my Trash 80 by hand from scrach using BASIC.... not VB.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC

I am still pondering gettng a really good top to bottom flight simulator. Much cheaper and safer than a getting a license.

Take a look at KSP, it's really Fun & it Hooked me. With the MechJeb autopilot plug in it's much easier to get around the Solar System with the Docking & Refueling. You learn to build these Humongous ships by Trial & Error with all the Staging and what not to get progressively larger ships just into Orbit, then refuel and get to the Mun (Moon) and then outer planets. Takes Time though, you'll spend a good Hour just getting to the Mun & back even with the Fast Forward that you have to keep an eye on or Overshoot. It really Hooked me for the last 3-4 years but they Upgraded it and I just can't get it to work on this New PC I got like it worked on my older one. You Learn by Trial & Error what Works for you and Doesn't!

http://i.imgur.com/vM4hHzg.png

http://i.imgur.com/mz5IZrF.png

http://i.imgur.com/gogADTh.png

It's Fun!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bartman said:

Take a look at KSP, it's really Fun & it Hooked me. With the MechJeb autopilot plug in it's much easier to get around the Solar System with the Docking & Refueling. You learn to build these Humongous ships by Trial & Error with all the Staging and what not to get progressively larger ships just into Orbit, then refuel and get to the Mun (Moon) and then outer planets. Takes Time though, you'll spend a good Hour just getting to the Mun & back even with the Fast Forward that you have to keep an eye on or Overshoot. It really Hooked me for the last 3-4 years but they Upgraded it and I just can't get it to work on this New PC I got like it worked on my older one. You Learn by Trial & Error what Works for you and Doesn't!

http://i.imgur.com/vM4hHzg.png

http://i.imgur.com/mz5IZrF.png

http://i.imgur.com/gogADTh.png

It's Fun!

 

 

I really try and resist gaming...not that I don't like it...just the reverse. Trial and error. Candidly I am NOT a trial and error type of person. I am the sort of person that has a project...gathers information....reads same....catalogs same....draws up plan A, B and C...then executes the plan.

It's called 'old school'.

When I worked at HP....we had some incredably smart young....what I call gun slingers. Given a problem....instead of doing like I did....like monkees in a cage...they would start throwing poop (solutions?) against the wall till one stuck. Which is fine sort of. But then ask them to reproduce the solution in a logical documented fashion to be used out in the field ....their brains exploded.

'But but but it worked'....yes yes that's nice now reproduce the solution.... invariably...weeks would go by and I would have to eventually assign a 'seasoned' tech to ride shot gun.

Those were the days.

So since you got my interest I will eventually check it out.

BTW what are you running the sym on. Gaming machine or vanilla.

Have a good one. Guido

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Guido2 said:

So since you got my interest I will eventually check it out.

BTW what are you running the sym on. Gaming machine or vanilla.

Have a good one. Guido

Kerbal isn't really all that taxing on any decent Mid Level gaming PC. There is a website I found once where you pick a game then punch in your PC specs and it'll tell you if you can run it. Think it was really easy to find "Can I Run it" or something. Here's the Order Form on my Cyberpower PC ordered in Jan 2016. I did have to go out to Microcenter & get a higher flow case fan, the Std fan with the liquid cooling just didn't cut it. I could feel how Hot it was getting the 1st week I ran it. It's just fine now. 

Specs as follows:
 
BASE_PRICE: $605
BLKFRISALE1: ZALMAN ZM-HPS200 Gaming Headset [+0]
BLKFRISALE2: CyberpowerPC Gaming Mouse Pad [+0]
BLKFRISALE3: TP-LINK 802.11 AC Archer T1U AC450 Wireless 5GHz 433Mbps Nano USB Adapter [+0]
BLKFRISALE4: CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard/Mouse Combo [+0] (Black Color w/ Blue Light)
CASE: In-Win G7 w/ USB 3.0, EZ Swap HDD Dock [-25] (Black Color)
CASEUPGRADE: RGB Multi-Color 16 color LED 2x interior light strips (top, bottom) w/ Remote Controller [+0]
CD: LG 14X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, 3D Playback DVD+RW Combo Drive (Black Color) Free Upgrade from DVD/CD Burner
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
CASE FAN: Default case fans
FAN: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan) Free Upgrade from Asetek 510LC Cooler
HDD: 128GB SanDisk SSD + 1TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo [+43] (Combo Drive)
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V3) Free Upgrade from 1600Mhz
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 4 Classic, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 2 PCI
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Windows 7 Professional [+135] (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply SLI/CrossFireX Ready
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts]
LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: AMD Radeon R7 360 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (Single Card)
PRICE: (+758)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
SUBTOTAL $758.00
Sales Tax (N/A) $0.00
Shipping: UPS Ground $75.00
Shipping Discount $-75.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------
GRAND TOTAL $758.00

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bartman said:

Kerbal isn't really all that taxing on any decent Mid Level gaming PC. There is a website I found once where you pick a game then punch in your PC specs and it'll tell you if you can run it. Think it was really easy to find "Can I Run it" or something. Here's the Order Form on my Cyberpower PC ordered in Jan 2016. I did have to go out to Microcenter & get a higher flow case fan, the Std fan with the liquid cooling just didn't cut it. I could feel how Hot it was getting the 1st week I ran it. It's just fine now. 

Specs as follows:
 
BASE_PRICE: $605
BLKFRISALE1: ZALMAN ZM-HPS200 Gaming Headset [+0]
BLKFRISALE2: CyberpowerPC Gaming Mouse Pad [+0]
BLKFRISALE3: TP-LINK 802.11 AC Archer T1U AC450 Wireless 5GHz 433Mbps Nano USB Adapter [+0]
BLKFRISALE4: CM Storm Devastator - LED Gaming Keyboard/Mouse Combo [+0] (Black Color w/ Blue Light)
CASE: In-Win G7 w/ USB 3.0, EZ Swap HDD Dock [-25] (Black Color)
CASEUPGRADE: RGB Multi-Color 16 color LED 2x interior light strips (top, bottom) w/ Remote Controller [+0]
CD: LG 14X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, 3D Playback DVD+RW Combo Drive (Black Color) Free Upgrade from DVD/CD Burner
CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.50 GHz Eight-Core AM3+ CPU 8MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology
CASE FAN: Default case fans
FAN: Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler - Extreme Cooling Performance (Single Standard 120MM Fan) Free Upgrade from Asetek 510LC Cooler
HDD: 128GB SanDisk SSD + 1TB SATA III Hard Drive Combo [+43] (Combo Drive)
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/2133MHz Dual Channel Memory (ADATA XPG V3) Free Upgrade from 1600Mhz
MOTHERBOARD: GIGABYTE 970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX w/ Ultra Durable 4 Classic, On/Off Charge, GbLAN, 2 PCIe x16, 3 PCIe x1, 2 PCI
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Windows 7 Professional [+135] (64-bit Edition)
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply SLI/CrossFireX Ready
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts]
LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
VIDEO: AMD Radeon R7 360 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card (Single Card)
PRICE: (+758)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
SUBTOTAL $758.00
Sales Tax (N/A) $0.00
Shipping: UPS Ground $75.00
Shipping Discount $-75.00
----------------------------------------------------------------------
GRAND TOTAL $758.00

 

Thanks for all the detail. Seems like a pretty impressive machine for the money.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was the copy of the Order sheet. CP kept their "Black Friday" sale on thru January 2016. Got a lot of freebies that I didn't need or use like the headphone set & led lights but did get the free BluRay burner upgrade from DVD which I thought I'd use but haven't yet but the Free shipping saved $75. This is the 3rd Cyberpower machine I've bought. The one before this one is still operational but was getting a little old processor & MB wise and the Video Card too. That one originally shipped with Vista which I really never saw any problem with but I did eventually upgrade it to W7 Home. So that was at least what 10yrs old now? I did use up the DVD burner in that one which I swapped out myself but otherwise it still runs fine. I'll still burn a DVD here and there on this machine for a couple friends but I've moved on to having my entire Film & TV library on 1TB Ext HDs that I play on my TVs thru my little MICCA Speck boxes.

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-Full-HD-Portable-Digital-Player/dp/B008NO9RRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511140323&sr=8-1&keywords=micca+speck

Hint: I told Ken about the Micca and I think he bought 2 of them!

Don't do that much gaming myself much either on this machine. Just never got around to Installing Kerbal and Call of Duty but I did put Postal 2 on it so I can just commit random Murder on occasion and a really Old copy of Casino Empire that just relaxes me.

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Bartman said:

That was the copy of the Order sheet. CP kept their "Black Friday" sale on thru January 2016. Got a lot of freebies that I didn't need or use like the headphone set & led lights but did get the free BluRay burner upgrade from DVD which I thought I'd use but haven't yet but the Free shipping saved $75. This is the 3rd Cyberpower machine I've bought. The one before this one is still operational but was getting a little old processor & MB wise and the Video Card too. That one originally shipped with Vista which I really never saw any problem with but I did eventually upgrade it to W7 Home. So that was at least what 10yrs old now? I did use up the DVD burner in that one which I swapped out myself but otherwise it still runs fine. I'll still burn a DVD here and there on this machine for a couple friends but I've moved on to having my entire Film & TV library on 1TB Ext HDs that I play on my TVs thru my little MICCA Speck boxes.

https://www.amazon.com/Micca-Full-HD-Portable-Digital-Player/dp/B008NO9RRM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511140323&sr=8-1&keywords=micca+speck

Hint: I told Ken about the Micca and I think he bought 2 of them!

Don't do that much gaming myself much either on this machine. Just never got around to Installing Kerbal and Call of Duty but I did put Postal 2 on it so I can just commit random Murder on occasion and a really Old copy of Casino Empire that just relaxes me.

Sounds like you are ....as they say in street jargon....'a play-ahhh' computer wise. Were/are you in IT?

You know my background. Admittedly after a 24/7...tech lead...had to know everything computer-wise yesterday and life and death situations supporting the VA Medical Network....when I retired..... I retired from computers. I know there is no escaping it...but now...KISS is my friend.

But admittedly....talking with one such as yourself....that 'itch' has started again.

BTW after messing with it....my Dell...is a happy camper again. Secondary patches and some 'things" I did seemed to have fixed the issues. But, although rusty my IT jedi skills still worked....how the blip does the common man deal with this?

Oh I know...they got an IT buddy or they pay a geek shop or they just buy another machine...:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nah, never been in IT. Just got on the PC wagon when W95 came out and now on I think my 10th PC since then. Built one myself starting with a Barebones rig and fitted the rest out with what I wanted back when there used to be those "Computer Shows" around. Did a Lot of Games early on. Command & Conquer, early versions of Doom & Quake and of course Duke Nukem 3D, then Call of Duty and some others. Roller Coaster Tycoon, Sim City 3000, European Air War and Postal 2. All the earlier games in the 90's I liked best, now they're just way too Intense for me anymore. The main thing I've been into since first getting DSL (my addy once was @bellatlantic.net) and now on a bit faster Cable has been my time on Usenet grabbing Movies and some TV shows and burning DVDs. Now most of my DVDs have been trashed and I have my Library on 1TB Ext HD's. Knowing how many Discs I chucked out, I guess that I have at Least 200 some Movies & TV shows in my Library, probably pushing 300. Guess you could call me a Pirate but for what it's worth, now into my 60's it seems there are Fewer & Fewer movies I care about out anymore. Some I'll watch but definitely not many "Keepers" for me anymore. Guess 'cause I don't know who all these new "Stars" are more than anything else. Who Are these People? The Only one I've been Dying to get this Year is Dunkirk which is supposed to be released on 12/12. I'll get a Rip off the 'net sometime that week probably.

Definitely check out the Micca! I don't have a Smart TV, just a regular 50incher. I use that little box and plug one of my drives or a Thumb into it with something I just DL'd and watch whatever I want.

Edited by Bartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0