Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rob

ESPN: Will the Orioles go all in or fold?

40 posts in this topic

I listened to about 10 minutes maybe of Duquette's air bag session tonight on 105.7 and couldn't stomach anymore... my favorite hardball question asked by the ever-tenacious Jim Hunter was something along the lines of:  "Dan, what were your thoughts on Kevin Gausman's performance after he turned it around?"  

Gee Jim, lay off the guy with the tough questions already!  Putting him on the spot to talk about Gausman's season "after he turned it around"... ruthless.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-dan-duquette-hot-stove-20171130-story.html

"Pitching can come from anywhere, and the way I look at it, if you do a decent job and work at it, you ought to be able to find some serviceable pitching," Duquette said.

That's an interesting point.  You ought to be able to find serviceable pitching "if you do a decent job and work at it"... odd for the GM to say after his staff's starting rotation has been absolutely riddled with 5+ ERAs the last two seasons.

Who then is not working at it enough, and not going a decent job?

Edited by Ravens2006

As I am sure has been mentioned:  The O’s will shoot for third place and maybe .501.  Angelos does not care about winning.

On 11/30/2017 at 9:55 PM, Ravens2006 said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-dan-duquette-hot-stove-20171130-story.html

That's an interesting point.  You ought to be able to find serviceable pitching "if you do a decent job and work at it"... odd for the GM to say after his staff's starting rotation has been absolutely riddled with 5+ ERAs the last two seasons.

Who then is not working at it enough, and not going a decent job?

Big Dan’s original starting rotation last year consisted of three guys that stunk (Gallardo, Miley, Ubaldo), one guy that ended up stinking (Tillman) and two above average MLB starters.

Most competent fans knew before Spring Training the rotation was going to be garbage and unfortunately, that prediction was correct.

It's unclear whether Bundy has the endurance to function at a high level the entire season. And I worry that Gausman has peaked and leveled off, which would leave him capable but not anyone's idea of an ace. And that's their best two pitchers. The rest of their rotation will be crap, because that's what Mr. Angelos is willing to pay for.

On 11/20/2017 at 2:04 PM, weird-O said:

There's no reason for the lame duck brain trust to punt. If they didn't do it last deadline, they aren't about to do it this winter. 

But DD tried and was vetoed. 

They should sell in a big way but not optimistic.

On 12/9/2017 at 2:14 PM, Evil Yoda said:

It's unclear whether Bundy has the endurance to function at a high level the entire season. And I worry that Gausman has peaked and leveled off, which would leave him capable but not anyone's idea of an ace. And that's their best two pitchers. The rest of their rotation will be crap, because that's what Mr. Angelos is willing to pay for.

I think we have a systematic issue with pitching and pitching development and  until Money is spent addressing these flaws....we will not go far.

2 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

I think we have a systematic issue with pitching and pitching development and  until Money is spent addressing these flaws....we will not go far.

I agree. And I don't see Angelos ever spending money like that. Based purely on rumor and observation, he does not hold pitching in particularly high regard.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:25 PM, weird-O said:

That's interesting to hear that Trumbo's bat suffers from strictly DHing. If I recall correctly, Davis has that same problem. When Buck gave him 1B, he hit a whole other gear. 

Here are the Trumbo slash lines for last year and career -  DH vs playing in the field.  Pretty shocking difference given the fact the O's gave the guy 37.5mil to be a DH most of the time.  Geez than they scratch their heads on why he wasn't any good last year.  Doh!!!!  Below from Roch column where he makes case that Trumbo may have to play more RF in 2018.

There’s also the matter of Trumbo’s slash lines, which further cuts to my point. He batted .207/.268/.367 in 111 games this year as the DH and .331/.368/.508 in 31 games as the right fielder.

Trumbo is a career .226/.287/.416 hitter as a DH and a .279/.336/.521 hitter as a right fielder, so his 2017 production isn’t an aberration.

47 minutes ago, CROUSEMAN said:

Here are the Trumbo slash lines for last year and career -  DH vs playing in the field.  Pretty shocking difference given the fact the O's gave the guy 37.5mil to be a DH most of the time.  Geez than they scratch their heads on why he wasn't any good last year.  Doh!!!!  Below from Roch column where he makes case that Trumbo may have to play more RF in 2018.

There’s also the matter of Trumbo’s slash lines, which further cuts to my point. He batted .207/.268/.367 in 111 games this year as the DH and .331/.368/.508 in 31 games as the right fielder.

Trumbo is a career .226/.287/.416 hitter as a DH and a .279/.336/.521 hitter as a right fielder, so his 2017 production isn’t an aberration.

It's hard to argue against letting him play defense. Extending him was just another, in a long line of bad decisions.

Edited by weird-O

They'll do neither.

They'll go middle of the road in every facet of the game and end up with 76 wins.

Hey, they owe it to the fans, after all.

57 minutes ago, Pickle20 said:

They'll do neither.

They'll go middle of the road in every facet of the game and end up with 76 wins.

Hey, they owe it to the fans, after all.

I know you were being funny, but not really. Spot on post. IMO this is their strategy...just don't be bad like we were before and people will keep coming...

Problem is (as we know)...in baseball..you gotta "blow it up" to get draft picks, etc. Just the nature of the sport/rebuilding process. More problematic I have zero confidence in our drafting and player development capabilities so....who knows..maybe middle of the road is the right thing. LOL

4 hours ago, weird-O said:

It's hard to argue against letting him play defense. Extending him was just another, in a long line of bad decisions.

If the Orioles had not signed Davis to his massive contract, the Trumbo deal would have been OK. It's the Davis contract that is the team's anvil.

2 hours ago, dshawg1 said:

I know you were being funny, but not really. Spot on post. IMO this is their strategy...just don't be bad like we were before and people will keep coming...

Problem is (as we know)...in baseball..you gotta "blow it up" to get draft picks, etc. Just the nature of the sport/rebuilding process. More problematic I have zero confidence in our drafting and player development capabilities so....who knows..maybe middle of the road is the right thing. LOL

In baseball, the only way to get better draft picks (I'm talking position here) is to lose more ballgames than your opponent.

Honest question. How do they expect to add talent?

They don't participate in the international pool.

They're not going to tank for better picks.

They're not spending for high end free agents.

They're not going to trade away vets for prospects.

They don't have a system in place to develop MiL players, particularly pitching. They've failed in every facet in developing pitching, going back to the mid-90's. They've even given away useful pitching prospects for nothing, which means they fail to identify the prospects in their system who could be successful.

The only thing they have done is Rule 5, which every team does, and give away international money for AAAA guys who they expect to produce at the MLB level.

The game has changed from even 4-5 years ago when you could luck into a Nelson Cruz anymore.

So how do they think they will compete in a year or two? There will be a new GM and likely a new manager.

But don't worry, we're going for it in 2018.

Angelos is a lawyer and a successful one at that -- no way he can be this dumb, but these are the facts.

Edited by Pickle20