Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonsensback

With 'Hog Apocalypse' on hold, what do we do about the pesky wild pigs taking over Texas?

51 posts in this topic

Forget illegal Aliens, the hogs are taking over.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/animals/2017/11/21/hog-apocalypse-hold-pesky-wild-pigs-taking-texas

Wild pigs may not look like much, but they're among the most intelligent animals in the United States, which makes them formidable adversaries. And they've taken over Texas and have been documented in every county, according to Texas Parks and Wildlife.

"If you're not already dealing with pigs, you're going to," said Brett Johnson, an urban biologist for the city of Dallas.

The pigs cost Texans about $52 million in agricultural damage every year. 

Thought we needed more than the usual "Trump, Clinton, Ruskie's or what is sexual assault" posts for  a short time.

They are smart. Hunted hogs in NC a few years back and they have been hunted so much down there they know if you have a gun or not in your hands.

It is a big problem in Texas for some time now. Fact is that a few years back....they were advertising for hunters to come down and shoot all they wanted. Don't remember the details....but 'they' would provide licenses, fees, lodging....all you had to do was bring your rifle and fly down.

I almost went....but a silly thing called 'work' got in the way. :lol:

Hmmm now that I am retired I should check into it again....

Thanks! Totally forgot about it.

14 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Crazy.  It's like rats in the city only they're big hogs.

Deer are becoming that way here in Maryland and probably everywhere.

They don't do near the damage or do they have litters with 8 births and up like hogs, but they do like vehicles at night.

I look for hogs to be the new deer in about 10 years and then the Apocalypse has begun:D

10 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

They don't do near the damage or do they have litters with 8 births and up like hogs, but they do like vehicles at night.

I look for hogs to be the new deer in about 10 years and then the Apocalypse has begun:D

Look for the 'bambi/bear huggers' to make sure the hogs run wild here eventuallly. Then wring their hands...what to do what to do.

33 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

It is a big problem in Texas for some time now. Fact is that a few years back....they were advertising for hunters to come down and shoot all they wanted. Don't remember the details....but 'they' would provide licenses, fees, lodging....all you had to do was bring your rifle and fly down.

I almost went....but a silly thing called 'work' got in the way. :lol:

Hmmm now that I am retired I should check into it again....

Thanks! Totally forgot about it.

I remember that.

Not being a hunter (or even a pork eater), I still kinda wanted to get in on that hog hunt. 

32 minutes ago, jonsensback said:

I guess that is the difference between a "smart" animal like hogs and dumb as rocks animal like deer.  You'd think that cars and deer have been around  long enough for deer to adapt.  There is always more than one crossing the road.  So every time a deer gets hit, the others would take notes, right? 

Or the deer that  are more cautious would pass that trait on to their offspring. 

Just now, FormerlySouthSide said:

I guess that is the difference between a "smart" animal like hogs and dumb as rocks animal like deer.  You'd think that cars and deer have been around  long enough for deer to adapt.  There is always more than one crossing the road.  So every time a deer gets hit, the others would take notes, right? 

Or the deer that  are more cautious would pass that trait on to their offspring. 

They should at least follow the "Deer Crossing" signs when crossing the road.

Hogs would.

1 hour ago, jonsensback said:

I literally almost walked into a  deer the other night when I was walking my dog. :D

I have family and friends in and around Texas Hill Country and they all have complained about the wild hogs roaming their properties.

In Florida it's Burmese pythons.

In Baltimore City it homo sapiens.

1 hour ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Wild bacon on the hoof....yummy.

Yah gotta smoke it first.... otherwise it is fatback.

12 minutes ago, workerbee said:

Wow

Bet a LOT of people ate well at the soup kitchens that week.

Tell you what though....that is  a LOT of gutting and butchering.

5 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Yah gotta smoke it first.... otherwise it is fatback.

Well okay....but it seems like it would be messy to roll......and how do you keep it lighted?;)

1 hour ago, FormerlySouthSide said:

Actually deer are very smart....I swear they can read the MD hunting schedule and go into hiding for the duration. :lol:

In fact most wild animals are. For example, when it is dove season... I go out...to a place I scouted...see tons of dove...but illegal to shoot....finally.legal to shoot....go to the same spot...nothing......but I kick up deer with almost every step or squirrels, woodchuck. Ok, deer season....go to the same spot...see tons of morning dove.....deer nope....squirrel and woodchuck too. Ok go out for squirrel woodchuck..nope....plenty of deer and dove. :mad:

Deer only tend to get 'dumb' like humans when it is rutting season. That's mating season for you city folk. ;)

Edited by Guido2

2 minutes ago, Guido2 said:

Actually deer are very smart....I swear they can read the MD hunting schedule and go into hiding for the duration. :lol:

In fact most wild animals are. For example, when it is dove season... I go out...to a place I scouted...see tons of dove...but illegal to shoot....finally.legal to shoot....go to the same spot...nothing......but I kick up deer with almost every step or squirrels, woodchuck. Ok, deer season....go to the same spot...see tons of morning dove.....deer nope....squirrel and woodchuck too. Ok go out for squirrel woodchuck..nope....plenty of deer and dove. :mad:

Deer only tend to get 'dumb' like humans when it is rutting season.

Then there are those that seem to be asking for it.

5 minutes ago, Dr Johnny Fever said:

Well okay....but it seems like it would be messy to roll......and how do you keep it lighted?;)

Good one.

2 minutes ago, workerbee said:

Then there are those that seem to be asking for it.

Ok.... that is way way to cute.

See I told you.....they are smart....they knew he couldn't shoot it legally.

Thanks for the smile.

1 hour ago, bmore_ken said:

I literally almost walked into a  deer the other night when I was walking my dog. :D

I did the same two nights ago.

Opened my privacy fence gate to take out the trash with the dog and get grunted at by 8 pointer about ten ft in front of me.

Glad it wasn’t a hog:D.

Wild hog is delicious. 

I play golf at a club in Bel Air and the dear there are completely oblivious to people on the course. 

Edited by FatBoy

Man I've been wanting to go hog hunting for a loooong time. For me, it's a visceral hate for the animal. I think it may have to do with my youth. I worked on a farm when I was 12, and the farmer said "today we gonna rang some hoags". (ringing pigs in English)lol. He said you wanna hold or ring? I didn't know what the hell he was talking about, and when he explained it, I said I'll hold. They were pretty young but I weighed about 110 lbs soaking wet back then. I'm guessing they weighed about 30-40 lbs lbs. Well, as soon as I grabbed one he started kicking and squealing so loud it was unbelievable! I mean ear splitting. Then he tried to hold him, but I still wasn't strong enough to squeeze the hog ring pliers. After 10 minutes or so , he gave up on me and did it himself. He snatched them up, squeezed the pig between his legs, bent his head back and pop. Done. And on went the longest day of my life on that farm. Now I hate a pig of any type. The first chance I get, i'm gonna go kill as many of those nasty stupid creatures I can. Can't wait.

8 hours ago, jonsensback said:

Forget illegal Aliens, the hogs are taking over.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/animals/2017/11/21/hog-apocalypse-hold-pesky-wild-pigs-taking-texas

Thought we needed more than the usual "Trump, Clinton, Ruskie's or what is sexual assault" posts for  a short time.

They are smart. Hunted hogs in NC a few years back and they have been hunted so much down there they know if you have a gun or not in your hands.

as a Texas resident, I suggest feeding the governor and his cronies to the hogs....this will kill the hogs, fix the corruption in this state, and raise the IQ of the state by a few points....

for those who want a real adventure....the state has a special hunting license that allows hunters to shoot pigs from helicopters...

6 hours ago, mrsmlh said:

I have family and friends in and around Texas Hill Country and they all have complained about the wild hogs roaming their properties.

they love golf courses and newly laid sod....one dug up my neighbor's yard last week....the amount of construction between Austin and San Antonio is driving them in to the more populated areas (I live just west of San Antonio)....the hogs here are very aggressive as well