Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dshawg1

Bring back Nick!

23 posts in this topic

Him and AJ had always been my favorite O's. Since Duquette is an idiot, I fully expect us to be terrible again next year, might as well watch my boy Nick!

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/11/a-few-thoughts-on-nick-markakis-and-how-hed-fit-orioles.html

Dear Dan, it is the pitching stupid. Invest in some pitching developing staff and the best scouting personnel.

We need a lefty, right? Bridge the gap. Santander is a SH I believe...

Bringing back Markakis would be about marketing, not about need. Angelos doesn't understand baseball so he makes decisions based on marketing concerns. If the Orioles are seriously considering this, it is coming from him.

I liked Nick while he was here and I was sorry the Orioles chose not to re-sign him. But what he brings to the team isn't what it needs right now.

Edited by Evil Yoda

5 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

Bringing back Markakis would be about marketing, not about need. Angelos doesn't understand baseball so he makes decisions based on marketing concerns. If the Orioles are seriously considering this, it is coming from him.

I liked Nick while he was here and I was sorry the Orioles chose not to re-sign him. But what he brings to the team isn't what it needs right now.

Hard to argue with what you said here:) I still like Nick though. I just have no confidence we will fix our pitching woes. I think it is a contagion in the organization that needs to be addressed and they don't realize that and DD is gone after this year. He won't be the one to help solve it.

The O's are chock full of OFers. They should have kept him, but they didn't. That chapter is done. I suspect Nick would probably not like coming back to the O's. He was pretty pissed after the last negotiations that inspired him to just throw his hands up and go to Atl.

3 hours ago, weird-O said:

The O's are chock full of OFers. They should have kept him, but they didn't. That chapter is done. I suspect Nick would probably not like coming back to the O's. He was pretty pissed after the last negotiations that inspired him to just throw his hands up and go to Atl.

I think Angelos likes players to take a hometown discount when they're re-signed. I don't know why anyone would do that unless they really wanted to play for a team that had a good shot at the World Series. The Orioles won't have a shot at the World Series while Angelos owns them; that's not something he cares about. Maybe also if you really liked the area, but Baltimore City and its feeder suburbs don't have anything that isn't available a lot of places. On top of that, ever since the Albert Belle fiasco, Angelos is very gunshy about signing players with medical issues. That's not a wholly irrational position, but like any other perspective it can be taken to extremes.

35 minutes ago, Evil Yoda said:

I think Angelos likes players to take a hometown discount when they're re-signed. I don't know why anyone would do that unless they really wanted to play for a team that had a good shot at the World Series. The Orioles won't have a shot at the World Series while Angelos owns them; that's not something he cares about. Maybe also if you really liked the area, but Baltimore City and its feeder suburbs don't have anything that isn't available a lot of places. On top of that, ever since the Albert Belle fiasco, Angelos is very gunshy about signing players with medical issues. That's not a wholly irrational position, but like any other perspective it can be taken to extremes.

In the case of Nick's negotiations, the only sticking point was that he wanted a 4th year. They agreed to AAV,  but the O's wouldn't go longer than 3 years. Just like the Cruz situation, they held strong to their principles, and lost out on 2 good players they were never able to sufficiently replace.

34 minutes ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

If Jones is not playing RF on opening day I will know they are not serious about 2018.

That's a real touchy situation. It seems clear that AJ is succumbing to father time. But, it's hard to ask the team captain to move from his position, when he doesn't see any reason to do so (I assume he feels like he's as good as ever). Players are rarely able to view their performance objectively. I feel like it may be more important for the total team chemistry, if AJ is able to make the decision. After all, he's not a liability. And we don't know definitively if Hays is ready for prime time. Given that this is AJ's contract year, it may be best to let him keep his position for the season. Then, negotiate an extension in a way that both sides understand that 2019 will see him in a COF position.   

1 hour ago, Mr. Buzzcut said:

If Jones is not playing RF on opening day I will know they are not serious about 2018.

The one and only reason to resign Nick is if AJ will not accept moving to RF. Nick's defensive ability - while somewhat degraded - would allow AJ to cover a bit less ground.

I would to know whom the Baltimore Front Office uses as its medical personnel and why they continue to be employed. Clearly they were wrong about not giving Markakis (and Cruz) a fourth year on their contracts.

Nick is a below average player. Why would we want him back?

30 minutes ago, Rob said:

Nick is a below average player. Why would we want him back?

Because he’d be an upgrade over any of Big Dan’s other so-called “solutions.”

14 hours ago, pitbull said:

Because he’d be an upgrade over any of Big Dan’s other so-called “solutions.”

You'd rather have Nick than Mancini? I think you may be alone in that preference.

I'd have Hays start in CF, Jones moves to right, Mancini in left. Dump the chump Trumbo. Or platoon DH him.

On 12/2/2017 at 9:46 AM, weird-O said:

You'd rather have Nick than Mancini? I think you may be alone in that preference.

Don’t make his head hurt.

On 12/2/2017 at 11:52 AM, Rob said:

I'd have Hays start in CF, Jones moves to right, Mancini in left. Dump the chump Trumbo. Or platoon DH him.

That sounds about right. Getting Markakis back to play any significant role is laughable. Can he coach?

Edited by ncbirdfan

On 12/2/2017 at 9:46 AM, weird-O said:

Nick is a right-fielder and Mancini is a left fielder, at least on this club.

Big Dan still hasn’t found a suitable replacement for Nick since 2014. I’m not holding my breath that he’ll find something adequate this year either. Looks like Hays is the guy, for now.

On 12/7/2017 at 8:26 PM, RileyMartin said:

Don’t make his head hurt.

?????

On 12/9/2017 at 2:03 PM, pitbull said:

Nick is a right-fielder and Mancini is a left fielder, at least on this club.

Big Dan still hasn’t found a suitable replacement for Nick since 2014. I’m not holding my breath that he’ll find something adequate this year either. Looks like Hays is the guy, for now.

The suitable replacement for Markakis is not Markakis.