Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EgyptKang

'Dreams do pay off': Black women cheer royal engagement

101 posts in this topic

Just now, Rael said:

You are correct sir! Sorry. It was EK who called it a racist site. 

My humble apologies. 

Apology accepted.

In some ways, I don't mind that Reddit allows for racist content. It's better that it be in plain sight than down in the shadows of the dark web. However, the downside is that you'll occasionally have a populist boob like Trump who exploits the frustrations of a populace who share their misgivings and frustrations online by giving them a face for whom to blame. 

19 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

Well, no. Not necessarily. You'll find posts that get shared via social media or images that are hosted that get linked back to threads on a racist sub-reddit on Reddit. Reddit is a paid-for host. And yes, while we have all at times gone hunting for other like-minded people who share common things, beliefs, ideas etc, there are those who discover a community via the means I just mentioned. Some folks are left aghast, and others aren't put-off. They stay for the conversation with their eyes wide open. And yet there are others who immediately feel like they've found their long, lost brothers. 

So this is a racist site?

17 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

So this is a racist site?

What, Sunspot? No. Are there racists here? Yeah. 

The difference is the Baltimore Sun provides a message board for the community at large. It does not actively promote ideals (of any stripe) other than that of free speech.

If you were to see people proselytizing others into their core set of racist beliefs? They'd get run from here. Or, I'd like to think they would. Otherwise, you might find a doddering fool who holds racist beliefs but are essentially harmless. 

The recurring posters who appear time and again after banning? They're a nuisance. But, the bigger-picture-goal of an outside (foreign?) entity might be to frustrate the common good and to drive the quality of discourse down into a foray of whataboutisms, and the flavor of the month to get the center (L/R) to distrust things. That's where the problem lay on message boards that otherwise align with free speech in this day and age. 

Edited by EnochRoot

31 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

What, Sunspot? No. Are there racists here? Yeah. 

The difference is the Baltimore Sun provides a message board for the community at large. It does not actively promote ideals (of any stripe) other than that of free speech.If you were to see people proselytizing others into their core set of racist beliefs? They'd get run from here.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh wait you were serious?Have you been to Locals?

14 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh wait you were serious?Have you been to Locals?

Fair point. Locals is a cesspool. The fact they let it stay in that state of disrepair, in a sense, suggests a rather dim view that the Baltimore Sun (or its handlers) takes on the area's population at large. 

Still, my larger point remains. 

7 minutes ago, EnochRoot said:

Fair point. Locals is a cesspool. The fact they let it stay in that state of disrepair, in a sense, suggests a rather dim view that the Baltimore Sun (or its handlers) takes on the area's population at large. 

Still, my larger point remains. 

That there are racists on every  site, but that doesn't make a site inherently racist?

4 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

Oh dear another failure to communicate ... seriously, if I said to a mate "She's a cracker", it is far from being an insult or racial, I would be saying 'cor, I wouldn't jump over her to get to you mate' or more simply, that she was a good really looking girl.

Not a failure. But rather the terms mean different things depending where you live.

4 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

On the highlighted we can agree. The rest of your post proves that fact.

I am guessing that you were looking in the mirror when you said 'we'.

4 hours ago, bmore_ken said:

His insight on black life  is amazing. :lol:

No insight needed.....I read comic books very quickly. :lol:

3 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

I wish all white women looked like her!:o

Many do ....all races....if you are on the west coast..lower mid west. In NYC also.

Around Baltimore....not so much...except for my wife of course. ;):D

Edited by Guido2

3 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

Sure, but know your surroundings, "here" is good in the Locals forum, not so much in National/World News. ;)

Yeah. Except "here" is the U.S.A. Then again, I think you knew that. ;)

4 hours ago, mrdeltoid said:

I wish all white women looked like her!:o

Nah, nothing beats a blue-eyed blonde in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Smokey 1 said:

Aw shucks! 😶

11 hours ago, Sprightly said:

Yeah. Except "here" is the U.S.A. Then again, I think you knew that. ;)

But not from where I'm standing, "here" is the UK, funny thing the interwebs ...

I guess you could petition Talk Admin to remove the word "World" from the forum title. :)

3 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

But not from where I'm standing, "here" is the UK, funny thing the interwebs ...

I guess you could petition Talk Admin to remove the word "World" from the forum title. :)

Or, you could acknowledge that the Baltimore Sun isn't exactly the BBC, but rather a local newspaper in the state of Maryland in the USA, therefore, calling someone on this forum a "cracker" would be seen as a pejorative.  Just as a Brit may be offended if an American posted on a local to GB site that someone is a "pillock."  Know what I mean? :) 

3 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Or, you could acknowledge that the Baltimore Sun isn't exactly the BBC, but rather a local newspaper in the state of Maryland in the USA, therefore, calling someone on this forum a "cracker" would be seen as a pejorative.  Just as a Brit may be offended if an American posted on a local to GB site that someone is a "pillock."  Know what I mean? :) 

I know what you mean, I just don't agree with all of it. I understand that to Americans a 'cracker' is a pejorative whereas in the UK it has a much nicer meaning.

This thread is about an American girl and an English boy, albeit a prince. It was the English connection that prompted me to mark the difference between to two meanings of the word. To me Meghan Markle is indeed 'a cracker' and it is but right that you and other viewers of this forum should know that I mean no offence in using the term, nor should I be restricted in using it on the open Internet. Seriously, when I look at the BBC comments section, I don't view American comments as Alien, but just as another opinion.

Out of interest, is '"pillock" a nice word over there? Here it is only a soft insult and is hardly likely to start a fight in a bar if used as such. :)

On 12/2/2017 at 0:08 PM, Sprightly said:

I didn't even realize that she's "black."  

They make a cute couple. Best of luck and all that.

Then again, I don't understand all this excitement about the royals. 

Agree.  Except I didn’t realize she existed.  Then I didn’t realize she was black and only vaguely knew which royal this was.  Could not care less.  I just don’t understand why it is news outside tabloids  

7 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

I know what you mean, I just don't agree with all of it. I understand that to Americans a 'cracker' is a pejorative whereas in the UK it has a much nicer meaning.

This thread is about an American girl and an English boy, albeit a prince. It was the English connection that prompted me to mark the difference between to two meanings of the word. To me Meghan Markle is indeed 'a cracker' and it is but right that you and other viewers of this forum should know that I mean no offence in using the term, nor should I be restricted in using it on the open Internet. Seriously, when I look at the BBC comments section, I don't view American comments as Alien, but just as another opinion.

Out of interest, is '"pillock" a nice word over there? Here it is only a soft insult and is hardly likely to start a fight in a bar if used as such. :)

It's not even a word here.

3 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

Ok, then it was used in a failed analogy. 

Edited by WKDWZD

On 12/2/2017 at 11:43 AM, EgyptKang said:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/a1f2ca0d-2551-3444-ba61-ed61cb0f9945/ss_'dreams-do-pay-off'%3A-black.html

This would be laughable if it wasn't sad. If this isn't Stockholm Syndrome I don't know what is.

Not the fact that she is marrying a white guy.....no not that. The reaction of black women is what I find sad. 

Why do you care who loves who? How does it affect you?

18 minutes ago, Baltimatt said:

And calling someone a "cracker" isn't a pejorative over there, but it is here.  It's not complicated.

17 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Ok, then it was used in a failed analogy. 

Nope.

1 hour ago, Gertrude said:

Why do you care who loves who? How does it affect you?

You need to re-read my post. I have no problem with interracial marriage. 

I was commenting on the reaction of black women.

2 hours ago, EgyptKang said:

You need to re-read my post. I have no problem with interracial marriage. 

I was commenting on the reaction of black women.

So black women should not be happy when a fellow African American dates a white guy? How is your life affected in any way?

16 hours ago, Smokey 1 said:

I've never had a type, I was more referring to as beautiful, of any type. Blue eyed blondes are just as. ;)