Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glengarry

Man Bags Monster 600-Pound Bear; One Of The Biggest During Current Pa. Hunting Season

50 posts in this topic

RAYBURN TOWNSHIP (KDKA) — A hunter from our area bagged one of the biggest bears taken during this year’s season in Pennsylvania. It was 600 pounds and seven-feet tall.

Quote

 

“I would have taken a small one for my first one, but I can’t complain about a 600-pounder,” said 25-year-old Bo Bowser, of Rayburn Township in Armstrong County.  “He was down by a creek, so it was nice and loud,” said Bowser. “I was able to sneak up on him.” When the bear turned around and looked at him, Bowser’s reaction was: “Whoa!”

It took four shots to take down the bear, and it was only after it was down that Bowser truly realized its size. “If we had shot him anywhere deep in the woods, we wouldn’t have been able to get him out,” said Bowser.

While the Game Commission says this was one the biggest bears taken this season, it was not the biggest. The biggest was in Venango County at 700 pounds!

 

Congrats, Bo! 

Now you need to come up with $13,000 to have the hide/head mounted. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL at the fact there is no mention of what kind of bear it was.  Any guesses?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Glengarry said:

Just a rug would be good with that bruin. The hair is probably rubbed  bad in some spots. One of the reasons most bear hunts are in spring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Glengarry said:

He must really feel like a man now, all those hormones jangling .... Feck him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Eastside Terp said:

.

Smart move.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Smart move.

Whatever you say sweetpea.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Eastside Terp said:

Whatever you say sweetpea.....

Olive! Is that you? ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, workerbee said:

LOL at the fact there is no mention of what kind of bear it was.  Any guesses?  

It was a black bear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PinkFlamingo said:

What’s the point?

Good point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

He must really feel like a man now, all those hormones jangling .... Feck him.

I hate the thought of killing a wild animal for sport, but I think this is allowed in order to decrease the number of black bears in the area. Have you ever lived in an area with a large black bear population?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sprightly said:

I hate the thought of killing a wild animal for sport, but I think this is allowed in order to decrease the number of black bears in the area. Have you ever lived in an area with a large black bear population?

No, I haven't, but if their presence disturbed me, I wouldn't want to live there. :)

I live in an area with a large fox and badger population and I hate the killing of those for sport too . I am disgusted by anyone who gets their enjoyment or  'sport' by killing defenceless animals. :angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Deer are really cute animals too, until one of them leaps across the road during the rut and comes flying through someone's windshield, potentially killing them and costing thousands in damages to property and limb.

Non-vegetarians who oppose hunting like their killing done for them by someone else out of sight so they can pretend that they're more humane when in reality, they're not.  They're part of the demand for killing but pretend that they're not. 

Controlled hunts are necessary.  Nothing is more defenseless than an animal raised for slaughter and not allowed to live outside of a cage or pen until they're killed and any pretense otherwise is delusional.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bear meat makes great chili. Especially when they've been gorging on huckleberries. Fish? Not so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

Bear meat makes great chili. Especially when they've been gorging on huckleberries. Fish? Not so much. 

I was wondering if people eat bear meat.

Edited by Sprightly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Legal kill on a legal hunt.

Bear hunting isn’t my bag, but it keeps the population healthy and thriving so it’s all good IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

No, I haven't, but if their presence disturbed me, I wouldn't want to live there. :)

I live in an area with a large fox and badger population and I hate the killing of those for sport too . I am disgusted by anyone who gets their enjoyment or  'sport' by killing defenceless animals. :angry:

It's a tough situation. Bears are not exactly defenseless. The black bear population in PA has grown from low single digits in the 70s to nearly 20,000 now which is good news.  I read that this year's hunt yielded a lesser number of bears than in years past but, in my heart, I still dislike the thought of killing them.

Deer, however, are another story altogether.  Beautiful yet destructive. This time of year I drive in fear of having yet another "incident" with one.  We need to feed them some strong birth control! :) No, I don't eat deer meat either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jonsensback said:

Legal kill on a legal hunt.

Bear hunting isn’t my bag, but it keeps the population healthy and thriving so it’s all good IMO.

True.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, workerbee said:

LOL at the fact there is no mention of what kind of bear it was.  Any guesses?  

You know, being smug and "LOLing" about not saying what kind of bear it is interesting given that PA is on the order of 1,000 miles away from any brown (grizzly) or polar bear habitat range; how do you not know that? If it was a brown bear it would be an okay size but not large. That's a big black bear, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bmorepunk said:

You know, being smug and "LOLing" about not saying what kind of bear it is interesting given that PA is on the order of 1,000 miles away from any brown (grizzly) or polar bear habitat range; how do you not know that? If it was a brown bear it would be an okay size but not large. That's a big black bear, though.

600 lbs is about average for an interior grizzly.  Coastal grizzlies (brown bears) get much larger due to a milder climate and the ability to gorge on salmon prior to denning up for the winter. 

But even if similar in body weight, grizzlies have much larger heads and longer claws than black bears. I saw many tree trunks ripped apart by grizzlies in British Columbia looking for grubs (saw ten black bears but no grizzlies). Out west black bears may be black or color-phase. Brown (aka "chocolate") and cinnamon-phase black bears are not uncommon. It is believed they have adapted due to the fact that an adult boar grizzly will kill a black bear without hesitation. 

I always wanted to hunt a grizzly, but at $15K and up, that isn't likely unless I hit the Powerball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mlatoman said:

600 lbs is about average for an interior grizzly.  Coastal grizzlies (brown bears) get much larger due to a milder climate and the ability to gorge on salmon prior to denning up for the winter. 

But even if similar in body weight, grizzlies have much larger heads and longer claws than black bears. I saw many tree trunks ripped apart by grizzlies in British Columbia looking for grubs (saw ten black bears but no grizzlies). Out west black bears may be black or color-phase. Brown (aka "chocolate") and cinnamon-phase black bears are not uncommon. It is believed they have adapted due to the fact that an adult boar grizzly will kill a black bear without hesitation. 

I always wanted to hunt a grizzly, but at $15K and up, that isn't likely unless I hit the Powerball. 

I grew up in Alaska and never appreciated that it was pretty cheap for us to hunt some of the world's most massive, delicious animals. We just had to load up the four wheelers and drive a few hours up the highway and then ride them a couple hours back into the hunting area. Definitely some freezing my butt off and being wet in the process, but it wasn't really expensive.

I never liked brown bear hunting. I don't like the meat, especially since we had to cook it so thoroughly since they typically carry a roundworm parasite. They also fight back, and don't go down easily, so if you don't land your rounds effectively you can be on the receiving end of a 1,000 pound carnivore fighting for its life. I know a lot of people like the head or pelt, but I'm not into trophies and see the animals as a food source.

Now caribou, that's my jam. Delicious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, as a resident you can hunt anything. As a NR, many game require a guide. And all of that is big $$$ to pay. Too rich for my blood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0