Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Glengarry

Man Bags Monster 600-Pound Bear; One Of The Biggest During Current Pa. Hunting Season

50 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, FatBoy said:

It was a black bear. 

Of course it was.  We know why. B)

1 hour ago, kandace said:

Because they are the only bears east of the Mississippi in the United States

27 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

So they say. 

Edited by kandace

All the brown bears crossed back over the border?

4 hours ago, bmorepunk said:

You know, being smug and "LOLing" about not saying what kind of bear it is interesting given that PA is on the order of 1,000 miles away from any brown (grizzly) or polar bear habitat range; how do you not know that? If it was a brown bear it would be an okay size but not large. That's a big black bear, though.

Doesn't seem right.  Relocating some polar bears to the east should be a priority!  

53 minutes ago, mrsmlh said:

There has been at least one confirmed grizzly in PA. 

1 hour ago, kandace said:

That's pretty good K. Gave me a chuckle.:lol:

My cousin use to bear hunt. He said he carried a .44 magnum side arm along with his rifle. He told me he always kept it on his hip during bear season even at the cabin with an extra bullet in his pocket. I asked "one bullet?...why?? He said if it's still charging him after six shots he carry's the extra bullet for himself! :o:lol:

7 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

I know that one story I remember is that a grizzly chased a dog into a house and attacked the homeowners.

2 minutes ago, Sprightly said:

Yes, that's the one. Thanks.

That's some scary stuff! They are very fortunate they weren't both killed. 

These bears are almost as dangerous as the drivers on Fallston road during rush hour. LOL. 

4 hours ago, FatBoy said:

The story says the animal was a black bear several times, not a grizzly. Two different types of bruins.

We have black bear here in WV. I'd like to see those bears captured in suburbia stay there, and not transported to "where they belong" in the western parts of the state. There are plenty here.

3 minutes ago, Apexbud said:

The story says the animal was a black bear several times, not a grizzly. Two different types of bruins.

We have black bear here in WV. I'd like to see those bears captured in suburbia stay there, and not transported to "where they belong" in the western parts of the state. There are plenty here.

I said that there were only black bears east of the Mississippi, so a few posters had to show that I was wrong by pointing out that there was in fact a grizzly in PA.

Just now, Apexbud said:

That's awesome. You should review the thread. I'm the first one that pointed out it was a black bear. 

I just happened to report that grizzly bears are not unheard of in PA. 

Just now, FatBoy said:

That's awesome. You should review the thread. I'm the first one that pointed out it was a black bear. 

I just happened to report that grizzly bears are not unheard of in PA. 

So is Sasquatch. :P

Grizzlies are not in PA. Bank on it. 

5 hours ago, FatBoy said:

I see.

I was confused by your comment here, then by your post of the PA bear attack.

My apologies. 

3 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

I agree. No grizzlies this far east.

A side note...

Local grape vine says a black panther was spotted nearby recently. Photos were taken, but nothing in the local media yet.

18 minutes ago, mlatoman said:

What ever you say. I've already posted a link that refutes your assertion. 

11 minutes ago, FatBoy said:

What ever you say. I've already posted a link that refutes your assertion. 

Please forgive me, but the link you posted (from a UK paper) identify the bear described as both a grizzly, and a black bear.

1 hour ago, mlatoman said:

Your right. I was pranked.

7 hours ago, Apexbud said:

Please forgive me, but the link you posted (from a UK paper) identify the bear described as both a grizzly, and a black bear.

Let that be a lesson to you all - The Daily Mail is only useful hung on a hook in a WC and, even there, it stinks.

8 hours ago, FatBoy said:

Your right. I was pranked.

Happens to us all. 

It is very rare to see non-existant or extirpated big game show up in areas hundreds or thousands of miles away from current habitat. Some (most) cougar sightings are erroneous, and a few are results of "pet" or zoo-kept cougars that have escaped. There have been some documented cases of mountain lions that have migrated vast distances on their own, but it's rare. A grizzly in PA would have a long, long way to travel. 

Speaking of cougars, they have the greatest range of occupied habitat of any large land mammal, save one. Us. They are highly adaptable. 

2 hours ago, mlatoman said:

Happens to us all. 

It is very rare to see non-existant or extirpated big game show up in areas hundreds or thousands of miles away from current habitat. Some (most) cougar sightings are erroneous, and a few are results of "pet" or zoo-kept cougars that have escaped. There have been some documented cases of mountain lions that have migrated vast distances on their own, but it's rare. A grizzly in PA would have a long, long way to travel. 

Speaking of cougars, they have the greatest range of occupied habitat of any large land mammal, save one. Us. They are highly adaptable. 

The cougar/mountain lion/puma is a panamerican species that lives in extremely varied habitats from Canada to Chile and Argentina.

I stayed in Costa Rica many years ago. We were visiting a small beach town on the west coast staying in a hotel. There was a short cut path about three tenths of a mile thru the jungle that lead to a honky tonk named Hal's American Cafe. My wives and I headed over there one evening. It was dusk. I happened to spot these tracks on the path and they looked like large cat tracks to me. Since I was ignorant of the fauna in the area, I mentioned it to an elderly patron when we arrived. He said they were probably Puma tracks because the Jaguars were rarely seen any more. 

The wives and I decided to hail a cab for the return trip to the hotel.