Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jonsensback

Russia Banned From Winter Olympics by I.O.C.

94 posts in this topic

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/05/sports/olympics/ioc-russia-winter-olympics.html

Russia’s Olympic team has been barred from the 2018 Winter Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea. The country’s government officials are forbidden to attend, its flag will not be displayed at the opening ceremony and its anthem will not sound. Any athletes from Russia who receive special dispensation to compete will do so as individuals wearing a neutral uniform, and the official record books will forever show that Russia won zero medals.

Good, the cheating bastards.

Now the biathlon, cross-country skiing are up for grabs.

25 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Just to ser a reference point, do you think that that cheating bastard Lance Armstrong was unfairly treated?

No.  Why would you ask that on this thread?  He was a cheater and everyone knew it before he was caught. 

29 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

Just to ser a reference point, do you think that that cheating bastard Lance Armstrong was unfairly treated?

Sorry, but what exactly does that have to do with this topic?

8 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

No doubt he thought he would get me on being an American.

As lame as that sounds.

43 minutes ago, banner1124 said:

As a I said, to set a reference point. What are "cheating bastards", and are they all the same, or are Russians bigger "cheating bastards". 

2 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

As a I said, to set a reference point. What are "cheating bastards", and are they all the same, or are Russians bigger "cheating bastards". 

That's pretty lame.  There's no reference point needed.  Seems like a chance to take a gratuitous shot at an American (not that that particular American deserves any defending)

5 minutes ago, WKDWZD said:

The Russian government used their intel services to break into a drug lab and switch the urine samples of their athletes. That is well beyond individual cheaters like Lance Armstrong and makes Russia objectively worse.

1 hour ago, WKDWZD said:

They keep leaving you openings  :lol:

Given the elaborate effort taken to circumvent the drug screening process as described here, I agree with punishment.

21 minutes ago, microg said:

Given the elaborate effort taken to circumvent the drug screening process as described here, I agree with punishment.

I was stunned at the lengths they went. They are hosting the World Cup this summer, god only knows what schemes they have in store.

LOL.  When will Mueller weigh in on this and blame Trump for colluding in Sochi?  :lol:

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Jazz said:

I was stunned at the lengths they went. They are hosting the World Cup this summer, god only knows what schemes they have in store.

I never heard how Lance got away with it for so long since they test you after every race you win, and he won a lot.  He probably would never have been caught if he had helped Floyd Landis get back into cycling on the management side.  Don't take a dump on a guy that has dirt on you.  

2 hours ago, jdsample said:

LOL.  When will Mueller weigh in on this and blame Trump for colluding in Sochi?  :lol:

The more relevant question is when will Trump tweet that this is fake news and he has it on good authority that his friends in Moscow would never condone cheating.  

6 hours ago, WKDWZD said:

By the way given the facts of the case YES the Russians are bigger cheating bastards.  When comparing one dude cheating versus a state sponsored cheating operation I'm inclined to say that the state sponsored cheating operation is worse.

18 hours ago, EGoldstein said:

The more relevant question is when will Trump tweet that this is fake news and he has it on good authority that his friends in Moscow would never condone cheating.  

I suggest that neither of us hold our breath.  ;)

21 hours ago, jdsample said:

Your joke needs a lot work

22 hours ago, banner1124 said:

That's pretty lame.  There's no reference point needed.  Seems like a chance to take a gratuitous shot at an American (not that that particular American deserves any defending)

Forgot about this post.

And you are correct on your assumption I believe.

On 12/5/2017 at 4:47 PM, jdsample said:

I never heard how Lance got away with it for so long since they test you after every race you win, and he won a lot.  He probably would never have been caught if he had helped Floyd Landis get back into cycling on the management side.  Don't take a dump on a guy that has dirt on you.  

I recall him claiming that the positives had to do with drugs he took to fight testicular cancer, from which he suffered a decade or so ago.

They are going to let a few Russians compete - basically, those who were good enough at cheating to never get caught. But not under the Russian flag. I'm sure the Russians will find some way to retaliate, as they did when Carter pulled us out of the Moscow Olympics over their invasion of Afghanistan.

Edited by Evil Yoda

6 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

I recall him claiming that the positives had to do with drugs he took to fight testicular cancer, from which he suffered a decade or so ago.

They are going to let a few Russians compete - basically, those who were good enough at cheating to never get caught. But not under the Russian flag. I'm sure the Russians will find some way to retaliate, as they did when Carter pulled us out of the Moscow Olympics over their invasion of Afghanistan.

Carter was totally wrong.  The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan was a political situation.  If he felt so strongly about it he should have committed the US military to help counteract it.  The Olympics were supposed to be competitions that were not subject to political feelings of any country.  Carter simply destroyed a lot of hard work and Olympic hopeful dreams by pulling the US out of the Moscow Olympics.  He was a nice guy, an honest guy, but he never did quite get things right.  

8 hours ago, cprenegade said:

Carter was totally wrong.  The Soviet invasion of Afghanistan was a political situation.  If he felt so strongly about it he should have committed the US military to help counteract it.  The Olympics were supposed to be competitions that were not subject to political feelings of any country.  Carter simply destroyed a lot of hard work and Olympic hopeful dreams by pulling the US out of the Moscow Olympics.  He was a nice guy, an honest guy, but he never did quite get things right.  

I agree. I regard him as a man of strong character who simply wasn't the right choice for president. He made a number of critical errors, and turning the United States' participation in the Moscow Olympics was one of them. Third worst president of my lifetime, now, behind W and Trump.

16 hours ago, Evil Yoda said:

Yeah, but he wasn't getting positives during his Tour de France run.  But he had some rather incredible performances the day after he was looking worn out and beat.  The year after Lance retired, Landis looked finished and the next day ran away from the field.  But BANG he popped positive and they took the Tour away from him.  I don't know how Lance had those same kinds of days and never was caught.  Had to be some sophisticated and subtle doping.