Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hst2

Trump expected to move US Embassy from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem

355 posts in this topic

Quote

There is a small constituency in the United States that genuinely cares about the location of the American Embassy in Israel. Evangelicals and a right-wing, pro-Israel lobby were thrilled by President Trump's campaign promises to reverse decades of U.S. policy by recognizing a “united” Jerusalem as Israel's capital and shifting the U.S. Embassy there from Tel Aviv. At a speech on Wednesday, Trump is expected to outline his plans to do just that.

The confused maneuver would create a “situation that leaves us in a half-pregnant state,” Dan Shapiro, who served as U.S. ambassador to Israel under the Obama administration, told Today’s Worldview. “It creates big controversy for little gain. Our broader goal of achieving two states is not advanced, and what this achieves for either side is unclear.”

In recent days, Trump spoke by phone with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, King Abdullah II of Jordan and King Salman of Saudi Arabia, briefing them on his plans regarding Jerusalem. No one seems to have taken the news very well.

Link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hst2 said:

About time the USA did what it wanted to do without others "approval"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The idiot!

8 minutes ago, hst2 said:

The idiot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Jerusalem Embassy Act of 1995 is a public law of the United States passed by the 104th Congress on October 23, 1995. It was passed for the purposes of initiating and funding the relocation of the Embassy of the United States in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem, no later than May 31, 1999.
 

Quote

 

The act also called for Jerusalem to remain an undivided city and for it to be recognized as the capital of the State of Israel.

The crux of the debate over the location of the U.S. Embassy in Israel is what it implies about the status of Jerusalem. When one state locates its embassy to another state in a particular territory, this generally indicates that the former state recognizes that territory as being within the latter state’s sovereignty. This recognition of sovereignty in turn brings with it a basket of rights and obligations under international law that the latter state may exercise in controlling that territory.

The act was passed by the Senate (93–5),and the House (374–37).

 

FYI - The last 4 Democratic Party Platforms have ALL called Jerusalem the capital of Israel.

Quote

 

The 2016 party platform read, "While Jerusalem is a matter for final status negotiations, it should remain the capital of Israel, an undivided city accessible to people of all faiths. Israelis deserve security, recognition, and a normal life free from terror and incitement."

In 2008, the platform read, "Jerusalem is and will remain the capital of Israel. The parties have agreed that Jerusalem is a matter for final status negotiations. It should remain an undivided city accessible to people of all faiths."

In 2004, the document read, "Jerusalem is the capital of Israel and should remain an undivided city accessible to people of all faiths."

 

It's about time a US President had the courage to enforce a law passed by a bi-partisan Congress (and not vetoed by Bill Clinton) over 20 years ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mcorioles said:

About time the USA did what it wanted to do without others "approval"

Regarding Israel the USA always has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hst2 said:

Trump wants to exacerbate and add chaos and conflict to the world. He wants to start wars when diplomacy is the better choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ivanbalt said:

How does this make America great again?

Gets Mueller off the front page?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does anyone care where the us embassy is?  How does it affect those other countries?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, overtaxed said:

Why does anyone care where the us embassy is?  How does it affect those other countries?

Seriously?  You might want to pick up a history book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

Why does anyone care where the us embassy is?  How does it affect those other countries?

If no one cares, why go through the expense of moving it? So clearly people do care.

The questions should be, what does this cost the US? What does the US gain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, mcorioles said:

About time the USA did what it wanted to do without others "approval"

That’s laughable considering that this is what Israel wants. Most Americans couldnt care less where the US Embassy is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, bmore_ken said:

Gets Mueller off the front page?

Shore up the Evangelical Christian vote

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ivanbalt said:

Seriously?  You might want to pick up a history book.

I know why, get off the trump hate.  Realistically, no other country has to recognize it. So as the great hillary says.  What difference does it make.

It affects the other mid east countries in no way shape or form.  The other mid east countries hate israel and that isn't going to change with any amount of diplomacy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

I know why, get off the trump hate.  Realistically, no other country has to recognize it. So as the great hillary says.  What difference does it make.

It affects the other mid east countries in no way shape or form.  The other mid east countries hate israel and that isn't going to change with any amount of diplomacy.

It might cause Americans to get killed and make diplomacy in the region more difficult. 

Other than that, no big deal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Has the U.S. tip-toeing around the issue of Jerusalem in the face of Palestinian-Arab threats of violence changed one thing in all those years or brought the prospect of peace one nano-meter closer?

No!

Irael took Jerusalem after the 1967 War -- started by guess who -- and now they want their ball back. without giving anything for it.

Maybe Trump is calling the bluff of the Palestinian-Arab coalition: Do you really want peace and an independent state, or would you prefer to keep throwing rockets, bombs and stones?

The Palestinians have dismissed several reportedly viable peace initiatives over the years. Yassir Arafat even shared a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts, even though he eventually declined to play.

Eventually the Palestinians and Arab states will figure out that the U.S. will never permit Israel to be over-run, not matter what. And perhaps the Palestinians will tire of refugee camps, Hamas dictatorship in Gaza and not being a full membership of the world of nations.

Sure, this is Trump being disruptive again but, who knows, since nothing else has produced any progress maybe this will mark a starting point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mcorioles said:

About time the USA did what it wanted to do without others "approval"

Agreed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WKDWZD said:

Regarding Israel the USA always has.

Keep kissing the rears of Israel’s enemies. It certainly has fallen short of its intended goal of being immune to terror attacks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, retired said:

 

Has the U.S. tip-toeing around the issue of Jerusalem in the face of Palestinian-Arab threats of violence changed one thing in all those years or brought the prospect of peace one nano-meter closer?

No!

Irael took Jerusalem after the 1967 War -- started by guess who -- and now they want their ball back. without giving anything for it.

Maybe Trump is calling the bluff of the Palestinian-Arab coalition: Do you really want peace and an independent state, or would you prefer to keep throwing rockets, bombs and stones?

The Palestinians have dismissed several reportedly viable peace initiatives over the years. Yassir Arafat even shared a Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts, even though he eventually declined to play.

Eventually the Palestinians and Arab states will figure out that the U.S. will never permit Israel to be over-run, not matter what. And perhaps the Palestinians will tire of refugee camps, Hamas dictatorship in Gaza and not being a full membership of the world of nations.

Sure, this is Trump being disruptive again but, who knows, since nothing else has produced any progress maybe this will mark a starting point.

 

Things are more complicated than that

Israel and Saudi Arabia have an alliance against Iran

Meanwhile, Iran and Qatar have stopped supporting Hamas. 

So recently, Hamas has been more open to Peace Talks with the Palestinian Authority and Israel. 

The timing seems right for Peace Talks to happen. 

However, this embassy move might set back any attempt to resolve the Israel-Palestine issue anytime soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, overtaxed said:

I know why, get off the trump hate.  Realistically, no other country has to recognize it. So as the great hillary says.  What difference does it make.

It affects the other mid east countries in no way shape or form.  The other mid east countries hate israel and that isn't going to change with any amount of diplomacy.

I can't believe that you posted this. :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I generally like Trump , but ever since Truman,  every politician , GOP  or dem  , has been in the pocket of AIPAC and the Israelis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was actually mandated by the Jerusalem embassy act of 1995.  It was just never implemented.  I have said for years that there are two requirements from the Jewish side before any two state solution will be agreed on.  One is that the Palestinian approved organizations like Hamas need to stop firing rockets into Israel every time they get their panties in a wad over something, and two is that Jerusalem will remain undivided and in Jewish control.  From the Palestinian side it is fair enough that the west bank settlements must be relocated.  Short of these agreements, there will be no peace.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cprenegade said:

This was actually mandated by the Jerusalem embassy act of 1995.  It was just never implemented.  I have said for years that there are two requirements from the Jewish side before any two state solution will be agreed on.  One is that the Palestinian approved organizations like Hamas need to stop firing rockets into Israel every time they get their panties in a wad over something, and two is that Jerusalem will remain undivided and in Jewish control.  From the Palestinian side it is fair enough that the west bank settlements must be relocated.  Short of these agreements, there will be no peace.  

The problem is, Netanyahu doesn’t want a Two-State solution nor does he want to make all Palestinians Israeli citizens. 

So we’re indefinitely going to hold Palestinians as Second-Class citizens or prisoners in Gaza and the West Bank indefinitely if Netanyahu gets his way. 

That isn’t going to work long term and most israelis know that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0